Computer recording software pre am question

pix.fairydust

Reaction score
Computer recording software pre amp question

Hello,

Sorry if this is a really silly question but I'm just venturing into recording (just for myself) and am a little confused.
With computer recording software, basic free versions (I've just downloaded pro tools) will I still need a pre amp to get a good sound?

Thanks for any help, I've tried googling it but haven't quite found an answer either way. Tried searching on here too but same result.

Pix

Last edited:
You will need an interface to get your music into the computer or, at the very least a USB mic. The "mic" socket on a computer is not good enough to plug a mic into as it generates far too much noise.

An interface will let you plug in your uke and a mic and has the necessary preamps. It also has the low latency driver you will need if you want to add anything else later.

So would a jack to usb cable not be sufficient for that?

I never tried a jack to USB cable, but I once tried a microphone to USB cable branded as T-bone, which I got from Thomann. It did provide a bit of amplification, but the volume was very low. Perhap some mics require less power than the dynamic microphone that I used, perhaps all mics will have low volume this way. I wouldn't really recommend it.

I don't have a uke with a pickup, so I use a basic USB mic - Shure MV5 - put it straight into either ivideo, or audacity software.

If you have a pickup, I expect sound quality it to depend on the quality of that pickup and whether it has a built in preamp etc.

Last edited:
Hands-down the easiest and trouble-free devices will be the Apogee MiC and Apogee JAM.

You can find discussions on each from the link in my signature below.

Apogee is not a late-comer nor also-ran to audio devices nor audio interfaces, and their hardware has significant market-share at the upper-end professional recording studios.

I've used other devices and sure, you can get an iRig or other little 'thingy' for like $40, but as the saying goes:

"Buy cheap, buy twice" and for audio gear this is no exception. You get what you pay for...

Also Apogee often sells direct their own refurbished units for a significant discount from the price for brand new, you can see here:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/store
(SCROLL DOWN to the Refurb section)

I have previously purchased both the Apogee MiC and Apogee JAM from their refurb section 3 yrs ago, and use them ALL THE TIME for different scenarios, and despite being refurb units, never had a problem, and over the past 30 yrs have owned tons of recording gear, some very high end that has not lasted as long, and many of the professional studios that I've worked in have had several different pieces of gear from Apogee.

These items are also EASY to use, and work on Windows, Mac and Linux confirmed from first-hand personal experience.

Software-wise, Audacity is free and also runs on Windows, Linux and Mac and is pretty easy to use, with tons of tutorials on YouTube if you need help.

Forgot to add: these devices above, as well as several others from Apogee will ALSO work with your Apple iPad or iPhone and will work in some scenarios on Android too (provided you install the right USB audio drivers (which you have to PAY FOR separately from a 3rd-party vendor, due to limitations in Android itself))

Last edited:
For my own personal recording & for YT/Seasons recording I just use a USB mic (Samson Meteor) plugged into my computer, using Audacity software, this works well for me with my acoustics, (& if I want to use an electric, I place the mic in front of the amp.)

Wow, is a bit of a minefield for a newbie! Uke has a pick up (or at least will) Have a cutaway Ziegenspeck spruce/cherry concert in the pipeline! And my new tenor has sorted itself out which I'm super happy about which means I'm keeping it (Howlett). Played it all day today, after 3 string changes, pain free!

Last edited:
Wow, is a bit of a minefield for a newbie! Uke has a pick up (or at least will) Have a cutaway Ziegenspeck spruce/cherry concert in the pipeline! And my new tenor has sorted itself out which I'm super happy about which means I'm keeping it (Howlett). Played it all day today, after 3 string changes, pain free!

If you want to record just the uke acoustically you can get a mic with USB connection and plug it directly into your computer. You can download Audacity recording software for free. If you want to record your uke with the pick up plugged in then you will need to buy an interface. You plug your uke into the interface than plug that into your computer.

I forgot to add "Smartphones".....easiest thing going. If all you want to do is record yourself for practice purposes a smartphone with a free recording app works very well. I use my Samsung all the time if I am working on a piece and I need feedback. Best practice tool there is. Play back using headphones or ear bud for decent audio listening

So would a jack to usb cable not be sufficient for that?

FYI: The Apogee JAM that I mentioned and linked to in my above post, is exactly that ^, jack to usb cable with some fancy electronics that has excellent preamp inside.

~$99 new or ~$79 refurb (USD)

Newer versions of the Apogee hardware are getting native Windows driver support this month which will include their Maestro recording software. I also noticed that their new MetaRecorder app for iOS can be unlocked for unlimited recording simply by connecting one of their devices to your phone or tablet after installing the app. If you own an Apogee product already I suggest you download and install the app and activate it before this limited time offer expires.

Hi, pix!

Audio interface can do what you want to do. USB cable carries two tracks respectively by digital to your computer. Hence you can mix them up and manage them in your computer. I have very cheep one but works very good and fun.

That's what I'm on the hunt for, an interface and mic and some headphones. Apogee look good products but also like they make mainly for iPad and Mac? I have an iPad but it's oooooold by today's standards

I went with the scarlett 2i2 studio, sold on eBay for a good price as the complete bundle

That's a really great setup, especially for the price of everything in the kit.

I know quite a few folks in person that have great success with using it to record, and really love how it all comes with all you need to start in one 'box'.

Also, it seems that quite a few UU folks went that way as well, and I've not seen ANY complaints about how it works.

I am glad you found something good. However, be prepared, since you are likely going to have many questions, and the learning never ends, but the benefit is that the more you learn how to use it all better, the better your recordings will sound and the easier it will be to get what you want out of it.

Shaka \m/

I went with the scarlett 2i2 studio, sold on eBay for a good price as the complete bundle

If you are using Windows 10, the 2i2 may sometimes cut out and "die" unless you change the start-up options in the Windows settings. I also needed to do something else, but don't recall off-hand what it was; been a while and I tried lots of things! It never did this in Windows 8, so for weeks I had dealt with the sound dying and the recording software, playback programs and games locking up when it happened. If that happens to you, let me know and I'll try to reconstruct what I did to fix it.

I like the 2i2 overall, though if I bought an interface now, I would get the Steinberg U22 because it has MIDI I/O which the 2i2 doesn't have. But unless you think you ever need MIDI I/O, that's a non-issue! The 2i2 bundle is a good deal, so, looks like a good call! :)

Top Bottom