great show

peanuts56

Reaction score
Saw a really great performance last evening. Not an uke performance but it's worth mentioning.
Darol Anger on Violin and Mike Marshall on Mandolin performed last evening in Madison Conn. at a Congregational Church. Both had played with David Grisman's group in the late 70's and also recorded for Wyndham Hill.
Both are absolute masters on their instruments and really funny onstage. Darol is the straight man with a very dry sense of humor. They hung around for home made ice cream and a meet and greet. Nice guys as well.
I believe last night was the final show of this tour. If they come near your area in the future go hear them.

I saw the David Grisman quintet in the 70s and they were great. I will check them out if they come to my area.

The Darol Anger, Mike Marshall concert I posted about earlier was part of a series put on by an organization called fireinthekitchen.org.
They are a group of enthusiastic fans of alternative string music. The concerts are held in a congregational church in Madison, Conn. If you live in the area check out their schedule. Last February the somehow managed to get James Hill and Anne Janelle. It was amazing. Jim and Liz Belloff were at that performance. I asked the guy who heads up the group if they were working on bringing them back and he was hopeful.
Nice group of people as well. They serve home made ice cream after each show and everyone has a good time. A nice evening out.

Mike and Daryl are awesome. My wife and I used to see them all the time when we volunteered at Freight and Salvage Coffee House in Berkeley. My favorite was when they sat in with Back Up and Push one time. Mike had his flying-V fretless electric mandolin. They did a killer version of Route 66.
Check out Darryl and Mike’s album Chiaroscuro. One of my favorite acoustic albums of all time.

Top Bottom