Timms vs Favilla

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I made a little soundclip comparing a new Timms Style 0 with a 40's Favilla U2. Not great quality, just into my smartphone. I played a piece on uke #1, then on uke #2. Then another piece on uke #1, then on uke #2. What differences do you hear? Can you tell which is which? They are different, but I like em both.

https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/share/invite/LLhf30sffy

Timms + Favilla.jpg

I really can't hear much difference...

Hard to tell listening on my computer. Initially my thought was that #1 is the Favilla, because it reminds me of one I used to own.

I could hear some difference in the 1st tune. I thought the 1st one was the Favilla too.

They seemed very close to me. I’ve no idea which instrument is which but by a very small margin I preferred the second one. I think it’s great that Mr T sells these Ukes for us to buy and enjoy ...... just wish I could get one for half the £325 that they usually go for, and even then I think Mrs Greenbag would have something to say about profligate spending. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
And the answer is......

Yes, the Favilla was first, the Timms was second.

I also find them very close, but slightly different. They are about equally loud. The Favilla has slightly more midrange, which makes it sound fuller to my ear. The Timms sounds clearer. Less midrange on the Timms brings out more lows and highs; the Timms has more bell like tones and jangle. I suppose that may change over time, as it's played more, since the Timms is only five months old.

When I recorded the Timms, it was a surprise, since the recording seemed to sound better than when I'm playing it. I guess that has to do with positioning: the sound behind the uke is different than what's heard out front. Probably the reason for side ports you see on some ukes.

After trying a bunch of sopranos, including 50's Kamaka, 40's Martin 0, and now the Timms (all great ukes), I realize just how good a value the Favilla ukes are, at 1/3 - 1/2 the price.

Last edited:
Yes, the Favilla was first, the Timms was second.

I also find them very close, but slightly different. They are about equally loud. The Favilla has slightly more midrange, which makes it sound fuller to my ear. The Timms sounds clearer. Less midrange on the Timms brings out more lows and highs; the Timms has more bell like tones and jangle. I suppose that may change over time, as it's played more, since the Timms is only three months old.

When I recorded the Timms, it was a surprise, since the recording seemed to sound better than when I'm playing it. I guess that has to do with positioning: the sound behind the uke is different than what's heard out front. Probably the reason for side ports you see on some ukes.

After trying a bunch of sopranos, including 50's Kamaka, 40's Martin 0, and now the Timms (all great ukes), I realize just how good a value the Favilla ukes are, at 1/3 - 1/2 the price.

As above it was the second (Timms) that I preferred in the blind comparison, I don’t claim to have much of an ear for these things though.

Normally a second hand instrument is quite a bit cheaper than a new one so maybe it’s not completely fair to compare the two instruments (one new and one second hand) on price grounds. That said I often buy second hand (house, car, sheet music, etc.) as it can represent, to me, better value than new. Buying second hand isn’t without its risks and I’ve made some bad purchases but overall I’ve been ‘lucky’ enough.

I checked out the price of Favilla Ukes on eBay’s US site and did see some nice looking instruments that had sold in the price range indicated. Such instruments are typically not available in the U.K. and importing them from the US is overly expensive, but if I lived in the US then I’d likely buy a good (and cheaper) second hand classic over a new Uke.

Last edited:
I love the fact that vintage ukes are so much more affordable than vintage guitars.

I wouldnt call that a fact. It all depends on whats written on the Headstock.

The Timms was a used instrument. Although completed in June 2017, I am already the 3rd owner, while the Favilla is about 70 years old. I love the fact that vintage ukes are so much more affordable than vintage guitars.

Fair comment and I stand rightly corrected. I guess it’s hard to judge value but it seems to me that the Timms will likely be around in seventy years time but the Favillia not quite so. One Uke is at the beginning of its playing life and the other well over halfway?

In the US vintage Ukes are affordable because they’re not that rare, elsewhere the picture isn’t quite so good (for buyers).

Whatever, thanks for doing this comparison. It’s really interesting to me to hear the Ukes.

There is no reason to think that the Favilla or other vintage instruments won't be around, as long as someone cares for them. There are orchestral strings played today that are much older.

There is no reason to think that the Favilla or other vintage instruments won't be around, as long as someone cares for them. There are orchestral strings played today that are much older.

I believe the above too, it’s perfectly possible but I did talk in terms of likelihood and lifespans. This recent thread does seem to overlap with my points: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?129480-Are-older-well-used-ukuleles-better .

What’s interesting to me is the additional confirmation, through this blind comparison, that Timms Ukes do play up there (in terms of quality) with examples of past classics that have withstood the test(s) of time. What’s surprising is that the Timms has had so many owners already and that it sounds noticeably different to the player and the (recorder) audience - I guess the later is true, to a greater or lesser extent, of all Ukes.

My thanks again to Ukecaster for sharing his sound samples.

Last edited:
I also had a hard time telling the difference between your samples, but after doing many blind listenings in the past using high-end headphones, I found Timms to be right up there with vintage Martins, Favillas, etc.

While the Timms should open up over time and the Favilla is about where it will continue to be, I'm more curious how they compare in terms of feel and playability? What are your feelings in this regard?

I also had a hard time telling the difference between your samples, but after doing many blind listenings in the past using high-end headphones, I found Timms to be right up there with vintage Martins, Favillas, etc.

While the Timms should open up over time and the Favilla is about where it will continue to be, I'm more curious how they compare in terms of feel and playability? What are your feelings in this regard?

The action on the Timms is about 3/32" at the 12th fret, just under 4/32" for the Favilla. Feels pretty similar to me. The Timms neck is also slightly thinner, top to bottom, feels great. However, the Timms has an ebony fretboard, saddle and nut, rosewood for the Favilla. The ebony board feels smoother/more slippery to me, allowing easier slides up the neck, and its fret ends, being brand new, are smoother. The Favilla has a miniscule bit of fret sprout, but not enough for me to want to file the fret edges. Overall, I'd score the Timms neck as 100, just perfection, the Favilla at 85. YMMV.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what kind of strings are you using? Same on both?

The Timms presently has Worth CM, the Favilla has Martin M600s. I find them pretty similar. Next up to try is a fresh set of Worth Browns on the Timms.

Top Bottom