Help me choose stringses please!

beeejums

Reaction score
So I want you guys who have tried lots of strings to help a poor man out...

I put Aquilas on my Flea, and I don't like how "thick" it sounds. I want something a bit cleaner, more like the D'Addarios I have on my tenor. I do like the volume I get from the Aquilas... I'm not sure which of the stock tone-describing words I should use to say what I'm looking for... but I have a feeling it's either "clean" or "mellow" but with a healthy volume.

I was going to deal, but then I took the Hilos from my Flea and put them on my Mahalo (with the ghettofied paperclip zero fret) and as it turns out, 1) I don't like the sound of the Hilos and 2) the diameter of the Hilos is smaller than what was originally there, so it doesn't sit on my ghettofied zero fret right, and the intonation is all messed up again. That put me over the edge. I have to buy a new set of strings.

So, what should I put on my Flea to get something "cleaner" or "mellower" than Aquilas so I can put those Aquilas on my Mahalo? And does anyone know where I can get them and Jumpin' Jim's songbooks at the same place? I want to get one of those books for my wife's uncle and aunt who are awesome because they play ukulele and they are incredible hospitable.

get worths.

Or the guys here might tell you different. Thats just because its personal preference. LOL :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input. Where should I get them?

Haha... Of course it's personal preference... but if I didn't want subjective opinions, I wouldn't have asked for them :D

If you like the D'Addarios on your tenor, why not just get some D'Addarios for your Flea? I went back to the Pro Artés on mine (a concert) and it sounds great. They feel absolutely massive on the neck, but the sound is there.

I had a set of Worths on my Fluke that were smooth and just supple enough to make playing a real joy, without feeling like you were noodling a string of spaghetti.
The UU store has D'Addarios for you to try, Worth can be had at most online sellers active here.

Just string 'em up and caress you preciousssssssss.....

Another vote for Worth. Clear Medium. I get 'em from http://www.elderly.com/brand/STR_worth.html

I have these on a concert fluke and I couldn't ask for a better set of strings for it.

However, I have a soprano w/ a set of Aquila concert sized strings, I like the added tension. I also have another soprano with GHS. I like the GHS strings for their "chunkiness", that percussive sound.

Worth ring-out the notes very clearly, but they are thinner than Aquilas, GHS, and D'addarios. But, you can get Worth FAT if you're into that kinda thing.

I tried out Hilo, hate 'em. Kala Red, hate 'em (hate that wound C string). Orcas are nice, but I haven't found a soprano set that isn't Low g.

But ultimately, get as many types of strings as you can and try 'em all. Each has it's own value in some way.

Just string 'em up and caress you preciousssssssss.....

I don't know if you got my reference in the thread title or if it's a concidence... either way, lolz.

I went with the Worths. I'll let you know how that works out for me.

Top Bottom