First Real Experience with Worn Out Strings

robinboyd

Reaction score
Until now, I've always changed strings before they really got worn out because I've wanted to try new things. However, I really liked Aquila Reds on my Mele, so I left them on there for as long as possible. Then the other day I suddenly noticed that they were quiet and dull. I think I finally understand what strings sound like when they are past their use by date. Anyway, now I can't find my string winder, so it looks like replacing them is going to be a slow process.

This is my favourite uke, so I'm not surprised that it was the first to wear out the strings. Been going for around a year, too. I think I'll just wind the new ones while watching TV tonight.

Until now, I've always changed strings before they really got worn out because I've wanted to try new things. However, I really liked Aquila Reds on my Mele, so I left them on there for as long as possible. Then the other day I suddenly noticed that they were quiet and dull. I think I finally understand what strings sound like when they are past their use by date. Anyway, now I can't find my string winder, so it looks like replacing them is going to be a slow process.

I never had a string winder till about a month ago ... it CAN be done by hand! (And, yes, doing it in front of the telly sounds like a good idea; in fact, it's what I usually do - and it really doesn't take THAT long.)

Never used a winder, don't see the need - just pull the strings through the tuner holes, run them back through the holes so they 'lock', then just wind up to tension, takes around about 12 twiddles apiece usually. :)

Never used a winder, don't see the need - just pull the strings through the tuner holes, run them back through the holes so they 'lock', then just wind up to tension, takes around about 12 twiddles apiece usually. :)

Do you have friction tuners? I'm pretty sure my geared tuners have a 16:1 ratio, which means it takes 16 turns of the knob to get the string to go around the peg once. Looking at the strings on it now, I see that the inside strings go around the pegs 3 times and the outside strings go around the pegs 4 times. That makes 48 twiddles for the inside strings and 64 twiddles for the outside ones...

Well, replacing them was an interesting exercise. I decided to try out Oasis Warms. I think I meant to order Oasis Brights, but I clicked the wrong button. Anyway, they are way louder than the Reds, and also seem to have a clearer sound on hammer ons and pull offs. For some reason, I just don't like them as much though. Don't know why. I can still appreciate them for their benefits, though, so I'll leave them on for a while.

Only got frictions on one uke, I don't actually count the twiddles, but doesn't take long for one uke. :)
If I had to do it regularly, I'd certainly get a winder, but not for one or two at a time. ;)

I change strings much more frequently on my guitars, than on my Ukes. In FACT, I PREFER dealing with older strings on my Ukes. They are much more cooperative and dependable.

String winder?
Never even considered getting one.
I have mostly geared tuners. It takes some time, but I have never tried anything else. When my father tought me to string a guitar, it didn't include winders. Never knew that the process should be any different on a ukulele.
But I guess it would save a bit of time.

It’s nice to have when you have to do a lot of winding. Like when your building Ukulele. You may have to undo the strings many times to fix something. I just like the convenience myself. Too bad you don’t like your new strings Robin. You may get used to them though and forget how the other sounded.

It’s nice to have when you have to do a lot of winding. Like when your building Ukulele. You may have to undo the strings many times to fix something. I just like the convenience myself. Too bad you don’t like your new strings Robin. You may get used to them though and forget how the other sounded.

Actually, I do like them. I prefer the Reds, but these ones have certain advantages, too, so not a total loss.

String winders:

I only use mine to unwind the strings and then only with geared tuners. They're not really needed at all with friction tuners. They definitely save time with geared tuners, though and on an 8 string you certainly notice the difference :). However, prefer to wind the new strings back up by hand.

Top Bottom