Tenor vs Soprano string gauges

Lapyang

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

When I got my uke worked on by a local shop, they also put a new set of strings on my soprano. But I came to find out they put a set of Tenor Aquila Strings on my Soprano. It is OK? Are the gauges the same and only the lengths are different?

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

When I got my uke worked on by a local shop, they also put a new set of strings on my soprano. But I came to find out they put a set of Tenor Aquila Strings on my Soprano. It is OK? Are the gauges the same and only the lengths are different?

Thanks.

No that is not Ok. The tenor gauges are thicker in diameter and will have higher tension, not good for the instrument or your playing

The gauges are probably not the same, although some strings are listed as soprano/concert, like martin. for example, the martin M600 [sop/con]vs M620 tenor]sets,
A=.49MM
E=.64
C=.86
G=.58
m620
A=.56
E=.72
C=.86
G=.64
GENERALLY, THE LONGER the scale length, the thicker the string, other things being equal, like same string material. but Martin uses the same? C string for both sets and
fluoro are usually thinner than nylon, not necessarily lower tension.
OK? that depends on how the tension is and how your uke is built. if it feels like to get up to pitch you are going to pull the bridge off, probably not.
Dirk at southcoast just wrote a blurb on this.
http://www.southcoastukes.com/ti-unimportanceofgauge.htm

Last edited:
You're more likely to get away with it with flouro strings than Aquila - Aquila do different gauges for every scale length and tuning. I'd swap them out!

Hi, Lapyang!

I think your strings are ok. I compared tenor and soprano strings of Daddario's titanium (see the figures below).

The difference (between blue and green circles) is very small in terms of tension.

Last edited:
No that is not Ok. The tenor gauges are thicker in diameter and will have higher tension, not good for the instrument or your playing

Igree 100%.
The chart that was posted by someone else shows about a 50% increase in the tension.
Chances are there is no truss rod to offset the tension even if you feel the Tenor strings sound OK on your Soprano.
I wouldn't risk it and I can't imagine it sounds as good as the proper scale of strings.

I would play them and see how they sound. If the intonation is as good or better than it was, and I liked the way they play and sound, I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't like the change in tension, or the intonation is worse, then I'd change the string. Some people change strings just to see if they like the new strings.

It's like nobody reads any of my posts about strings since like forever with the replies here. Sometimes I wonder if I should just go and delete at least half of my 5,000+ posts, lots of them about strings.

From hands-on experience with over 100 different sets of strings in all scale lengths, except for zztush above, I have to say that all of you are misinformed and seem to be going by the label on the string pack instead of string tension and diameter (linear density) which has nothing to do with the label on the string pack other than it being a function of retail packaging and marketing, while also saving you from having to do calculus to figure out which strings to buy.

FOR EXAMPLE, both Oasis and Worth, sell strings that are of a set that can be use without issues on all scale lengths.

by the power of GreySkull!!! they work just fine on soprano (23 lbs total tension), concert (28lbs total tension) and tenor (34lbs total tension) without causing ANY damage to the uke.

In this case a single set works AND intonates well BECAUSE of the added tension on the longer scale lengths.

Intonation accuracy is a function of BOTH the string tension/diameter as well as the frets being spaced properly in addition to string geometry from nut to saddle, but STRING TENSION will mitigate problems with a badly spaced fretboard.

What in fact ZZTUSH is showing you is first the string tension of 'tenor' strings on a tenor uke, and then the LOWER string tension of the SAME set of strings on a soprano uke.

So ask yourself HOW CAN LOWER tension damage the soprano??????????????

The big fat secret is: it won't, DESPITE being thicker, than soprano strings, the shorter scale length has LESS tension, EVEN WITH, OMG big fat evil tenor strings....

Just think about it.

Link in my signature below has more info, but I suspect that somehow this info is all rendered invisible now that the leaves are falling in the Northern USA as Autumn gets underway.

So I walk away, maybe I should not have commented on this thread, but I cannot let misinformation spread, since it's all fun and games until someone gets poked in the eye.

:)

'It's quicker to ask than to search' is common to all forums these days; with questions that come up regularly, I tend to offer a link to a post relevant to the question, which often gets ignored, but I've done my bit, I gave them good info, if they don't want to take it, sod 'em! ;)

(The links often help others that were just reading the post though, so it is worth doing.)

'It's quicker to ask than to search' is common to all forums these days; with questions that come up regularly, I tend to offer a link to a post relevant to the question, which often gets ignored, but I've done my bit, I gave them good info, if they don't want to take it, sod 'em! ;)

(The links often help others that were just reading the post though, so it is worth doing.)

Keith - please understand that I have no issue with asking questions and have always encouraged it.

The issue I have and my frustration here is that many of the folks commenting on this thread have been on UU for a while, and also MANY of them participated in other threads on string discussions where I have tried to impart some knowledge, yet some of the comments posted here seem to have either forgotten those discussions, or chosen to disregard the information that has been historically presented here on UU, and/or have a misunderstanding of the physics involved in string geometry and how it applies to string gauges and string tension.

Thus, why as ubu said above, when I see folks parroting bad advice, with limited experience, I am compelled to offer my own knowledge, which in fact is based upon deep and broad experience, but sadly my voice seems to only have a shallow penetration into the collective knowledge here on UU, and for this it seems that trying to help educate others, which is my SOLE intention here, falls on deaf ears.

I have no ego involved here, and I am not pretending to be any kind of expert, I am simply trying to pay forward knowledge and verifiable facts, but when you lead a horse to water and it refuses to drink, I will have to accept the fact that the horse will eventually die from it's own self-inflicted tendencies.

Yes the built-in forum search leaves a lot to be desired, and I do not chastise other folks for asking, even seasoned UU members, but again as ubu said, some folks are resistant to facts and knowledge and by default have embarked upon a dark path of 'swallowing ill-reasoned if oft-repeated lore'.

So if this post offends anyone, please understand that this is not my intent, but rather a wake-up call.

Maybe a wake-up call for me too, in order to recognize the futility of trying to roll this giant boulder up a hill, while other folks seem to sit on the sidelines and watch me sweat it out, alone.

Oh, well, just part of the bad side of human nature I guess.

Mahalo to everyone, and peace be with you.

Yes you can leave tenor strings on a soprano scale. But we don't know the make of strings or the make of ukulele. What if it was a very lightly built vintage Martin and he had Aquila tenor strings on there. What if the nut slots are not be deep and wide enough, the intonation and tone would be sh*t. If the OP is really new to stringed instruments it is better to be on the safe side and have soprano strings on a soprano. That was the point I was making, seems a few others never considered that as they "parrotted" their own advice.

Last edited:
Dave and Bill -

Your points are well taken. Very clear and meaningful. Apologies for my rant.

Please excuse me for going on a tangent.

Mahalo.

Rant? I didn’t read a rant at all just logical enough comments. If you targeted named individuals then I didn’t notice.

It isn’t always easy to find information on the web and yes it’s quicker and easier to just ask. Asking doesn’t mean that your posts lay unread by others or are in anyway a waste. I for one value your input and expertise, it’s good natured people with expertise that keep forums like this going and I believe that your comments are more valued than you might realise.

Last edited:
Igree 100%.
The chart that was posted by someone else shows about a 50% increase in the tension.
Chances are there is no truss rod to offset the tension even if you feel the Tenor strings sound OK on your Soprano.
I wouldn't risk it and I can't imagine it sounds as good as the proper scale of strings.

At risk of a ticking off from the mods.

Did you not read the post immediately above yours which demonstrate you are totally wrong. That's the point booli was making.

It's like nobody reads any of my posts about strings since like forever with the replies here. Sometimes I wonder if I should just go and delete at least half of my 5,000+ posts, lots of them about strings.

From hands-on experience with over 100 different sets of strings in all scale lengths, except for zztush above, I have to say that all of you are misinformed and seem to be going by the label on the string pack instead of string tension and diameter (linear density) which has nothing to do with the label on the string pack other than it being a function of retail packaging and marketing, while also saving you from having to do calculus to figure out which strings to buy.

FOR EXAMPLE, both Oasis and Worth, sell strings that are of a set that can be use without issues on all scale lengths.

by the power of GreySkull!!! they work just fine on soprano (23 lbs total tension), concert (28lbs total tension) and tenor (34lbs total tension) without causing ANY damage to the uke.

In this case a single set works AND intonates well BECAUSE of the added tension on the longer scale lengths.

Intonation accuracy is a function of BOTH the string tension/diameter as well as the frets being spaced properly in addition to string geometry from nut to saddle, but STRING TENSION will mitigate problems with a badly spaced fretboard.

What in fact ZZTUSH is showing you is first the string tension of 'tenor' strings on a tenor uke, and then the LOWER string tension of the SAME set of strings on a soprano uke.

So ask yourself HOW CAN LOWER tension damage the soprano??????????????

The big fat secret is: it won't, DESPITE being thicker, than soprano strings, the shorter scale length has LESS tension, EVEN WITH, OMG big fat evil tenor strings....

Just think about it.

Link in my signature below has more info, but I suspect that somehow this info is all rendered invisible now that the leaves are falling in the Northern USA as Autumn gets underway.

So I walk away, maybe I should not have commented on this thread, but I cannot let misinformation spread, since it's all fun and games until someone gets poked in the eye.

:)
Please don't delete your string posts, I check them all the time. I wish I had known about them sooner, though.

Hi, Booli!

Thus, why as ubu said above, when I see folks parroting bad advice, with limited experience, I am compelled to offer my own knowledge, which in fact is based upon deep and broad experience, but sadly my voice seems to only have a shallow penetration into the collective knowledge here on UU, and for this it seems that trying to help educate others, which is my SOLE intention here, falls on deaf ears.

I think this kind of forum is very similar to customer review of Amazon. We have only one ballot each. We can share our experience and knowledge on a ballot. You don't have two ballots even you are very rich, have deep and broad experience or highly educated. And the ballots are all equal value. We can not educate people with this ballot. We just offer our experience and knowledge to OP in equal value each. In Amazon's costumer review, we don't try to educate other costumers who has already bought it. We just share our knowledge and experience to future costumers. In this thread, I really believe that your post about strings is right. But the decision is only made by OP. We've only offered our experience and knowledge in equal value. We should not expect any education here. If we could, it is good but we should not expect any education to fellows.

If you still expect such education, you may have much bigger disappointment in next 5000 post. I think you can delete 2500 posts about strings. Because they are all same, your home page offer your information instead. Even you delete them, your achievement of helping 2500 people still exist and I deeply appreciate it.

I was shown a chart of the string gauges and tensions,
by a long standing player who I repect and admire,and
he strings all his instruments,soprano to tenor, with Worth
Brown BM strings,and has done so for years with no ill
effects whatsoever. So I followed his example and find the
pracice works well! And with tenor sets, intead of two sets
per pack, on sopranos that can be brought up to three
sets per pack, with cautious cutting!

Top Bottom