WTB Ken Timms Ukulele

Told you!!

lol!

This is a must have! I'm waiting for your next review, Baz!
Good luck , Kevs.

Well worth seeking out. Ken usually sells his Ukuleles on eBay for a very good price. I have had mine for a week or so and its lovely in every way. I will stick with the friction tuners for now until the new strings settle in, but may possibly change the tuners sometime in the future, not sure yet. Strings are Aquila, which sound good to me, but I will try other strings down the line. Really lovely sound that resonates extremely well.

Yeah, the tuners are possibly the only downside in my opinion.

To me the friction tuners would be a big plus!

To me the friction tuners would be a big plus!

Well, there are good friction tuners, there are ok friction tuners and there are bad friction tuners. Tuning my Timms could definately be a lot easier by changing the ok tuners to good friction tuners. Only the slightest of a turn is enough to make a jump of two full notes.

Well, there are good friction tuners, there are ok friction tuners and there are bad friction tuners. Tuning my Timms could definately be a lot easier by changing the ok tuners to good friction tuners. Only the slightest of a turn is enough to make a jump of two full notes.

Did you try loosening the screw a tiny bit, so you get to the sweet spot where you can more easily turn it, but it will still hold? I've found it will surely go too high, in jerky increments, if the screw is too tight.

Mr T has an enviable reputation for producing a very good product and, to how I judge his videos and entries here, he comes across as a helpful and personable type. If you purchased the Uke new then I anticpitate that you have contact details for him to use to seek help. If you’re not the original owner he might still help you if you can find a way of contacting him. A Skype or FaceTime conversation with a demonstration of your difficulties may well be enough to provide solutions for you.

FWIW - I also think the tuners he uses are one of the high points of the instrument, not a low point. The slightest turn jumps notes? Yep - that's how friction pegs work.

From what I can tell, these are unbranded Grover 4 clones - so exactly what Koaloha use on sopranos. I find them ultra smooth and easy to use without wrist snapping tightness. But you do need to know how friction pegs work differently.

Personally, on a soprano, I would have nothing else.

Well, don't get me wrong. I love his work/his Ukuleles. I've had a lot of Ukes so far and both Timms I owned were the two best Sopranos I've ever had. The tuners hold the tuning very good, the sound is crazy good. It's just the fact that I don't really like how sensitive they react. I owned Kalas (not US made) and Ohanas and they all had friction tuners that were not as sensitive as the ones on my current Koa Timms.

Last edited:
There is a Ken Timms listed on FMM ( Flea Market Music) at the moment. Also, you can message Tim directly through UU, as he is a regular contributer on Ukulele Building / Luthier's Lounge.
I was the one who purchased, the most recent used one that was listed here on UU's marketplace. and was listed by a member here in the USA. I am quite thrilled with it. Had one previously, and missed having it. Ken does amazing work, and well worth the effort searching out for.

Re the tuners thing - I belive Ken will, if you ask, fit Pegheds

I want one as well but after a few missed due to unannounced mystery sales in this thread I realized I really just do not NEED one. Once realized now I await the right Timms to cross my path. I'm hoping for a darker stained one or a unique grain myself.

On the other hand if you see "the one" dont wait, dont think... just buy it. I missed a gorgeous white pine ukulele by BlackBear a few years back before my b-day for a very reasonable price because I slept on it. Ive also missed a Timms (and quite a few others) here while looking like the only one interested in the thread, always to the mysterious guy right before me. heh

Top Bottom