Bushman Jenny or Ohana SK something

whistleman123

Reaction score
I will be upgrading to my first all wood uke. Between the Jenny and an Ohana SK 38 or 39 which would be the better choice? I have not and will not be able to "try before I buy".

Buy from HMS, or Mim's Ukes, that way it'll be checked & setup properly for you - I'd go with an Ohana - I have 3 of their solid mahogany amongst my ukes. :)

Yes to Ohana. Yes to buying from Mim or HMS or Uke Republic. It will be ready to play right out of the box.

I have no experience with the Jenny or the Ohana SK 39 but i do own an Ohana SK 28. Fantastic soprano at a giveaway price for the sound it produces. It is a very lightly built instrument has volume to spare and a woody bark. The fretboard is level with the body of the ukulele which I immediately found comfortable. Buy from a reputable dealer so you will get a good setup.

Last edited:
Another vote for Ohana.

Received my first solid wood ukulele just yesterday, the Ohana CK-39, purchased from Mim. It's the concert size version of the SK-39 you are contemplating :D

Haven't posted about it yet. After I get to know it a little better I'll put a more complete review up.

First impressions:
- High quality, beautiful solid mahogany instrument
- I really dig the Martin Style 3 vibe. This one is a real looker
- Greatly improved tone over my Kala laminate soprano.
- Slight intonation issues (even after Mim's setup,) going a tad sharp up the neck. Intonation beats the hell out of the laminate Kala though, which never had a proper setup
- Very much fun to play

After 16 hours of ownership, I'll happily endorse the Ohana 39 line.

Ohanas are super ukes, I've had two, and sold them. I sold all my Kalas too. Kept my last Pono and Kanile'a.

I actually still have an old Bushman Jenny concert, it's one of the best ukes I've played. I set it up myself when I got it. I only play tenor or baritone now and tried to sell it after a couple of years but got zero interest. So I'm giving to a youngster. If you have an eye on a used one somewhere and it's cheap, try it out. There's nothing inherently wrong with the brand (which I thought distribution ended in 2007?), it was the distributor that created all the bad vibes.

Top Bottom