Old Martin soprano uke.

barn504

Reaction score
Hello all.
Have just joined hoping I can find out what you think I should do with my old ukulele. I have owned it for 55 plus years, last playing in my school band (when it looked like new). From what I can make out it's a 3 or 3k. The trouble is somewhere down the line it has had a piece broken from the back, covered with a bit of leather and then, wait for it, painted brown. Not sure whether to strip the paint off and try to restore, sell it as it is. or put it back on the shelf. What do you reckon?

Welcome! If you post some pictures I think you should get some good responses - there's good vintage instrument and luthier knowledge here. I can't help but I'm very interested to see what others say!

Unless your going to have Martin do the job just sell as is, take alot of pics for sure.

Most times unless you are a qualified luthier, leave it as is and sell it....nothing worse than fixing others mistakes or poor repair work

Most times unless you are a qualified luthier, leave it as is and sell it....nothing worse than fixing others mistakes or poor repair work

Agreed. I can't count how many times I've seen someone unqualified take matters into their own hands and completely ruin a restore job.

As a luthier who has done many repair jobs by poorly qualified folks, my advice is to get it done right or sell it as is and let the new owner get it repair properly (hopefully).

Post plenty of photos and ask for private offers.

sell it to me. I'll give you $10 and pay the shipping! seriously, if you are not playing it either sell as is or have a good luthier repair it then sell it. Thats too nice an instrument to be sitting on a shelf.

You played ukulele in your school band ?:stop::anyone:
You've owned for 55 years and dont know if it is a 3 or a 3K ?:uhoh:

Last edited:

I played violin in my school orchestra. Haven't picked one up in 40+ years and couldn't play one if you paid me. If I still had my violin (I don't), I wouldn't know any more about it than this individual knows about their uke. Not everybody is obsessed.

This is a style 2 1930s martin that had a 1 3/4" by 1/16th" crack all the way through,
Aside from the darker stain as you can see by the bottom waist, the patch wood was matched to the old martin
Mahogany. This is what you look for in a good repairman..20171024_205831.jpg20171024_205831.jpg20171024_205831.jpg

That is some beautiful repair work. I love seeing what more talented workworkers can do.

Yeah, I agree, there's something going on with the original post. Hope the OP will clarify.

Thanks for the posts.
If you look through the sound hole it looks and feels like cork so I presume its koa which would make it a 3K.

Top Bottom