Vintage Southern California Ukuleles

Driftwood33

Reaction score
Good morning,

I just signed up on the New Members thread after years of lurking from time to time. My interest in ukuleles really came from my interest in vintage surfboards, which led to interest in early California, which led me to what I now do - teaching and getting to do research which is largely centered on early Californian culture. Very lucky to be doing what I love!

Anyway, I finally have the time to put into what I think is a great project working on the presence of Hawaiians, and the reciprocal cultural exchanges with early southern California, from the first half of the 19th century to the early 20th. I've been looking into early residents, lengths of stay, lasting links to the islands... As part of that, I am really interested in the early Uke makers, Columbia being one. I thought here would be a perfect place to start. There is so much cool stuff going on - uke scores based on the novel Ramona, Columbia ukes stenciled with Californio dancers, the whole uke-to-early surf culture aspect... I feel like a kid in a candy store.

So several things: if anyone can chime in on makers, workshop dates, really anything at all, that would be great! Either personal observations, research leads, rumors... Luthers, the three-piece neck, wood choices... I'll be happy to check things out and follow up, and, if there is interest here, to post what I find.

Also, I'm currently looking to find an early CA uke or two... I've missed a few over the past couple of years, before deciding to pursue this interest from a research angle. I'd like to write on the subject - look at what was going on in terms of ideas, of markets, of identities... the creation of a local culture that is really a constructed mix from the very beginning. Okay, let's be honest, I also really want to play a CA uke from this period - just like riding an early Jacobs longboard is a real blast and a connection to the past. The stoke helps keep the research going, right?

Any and all info or insights are welcome! Either directly on the thread or by PM.

Thanks!

Nice one. Here is another that I just missed. Check out the three-piece neck, a classic sign.Columbia Uke.jpg

How interesting! We had a small, but interesting Hawaiian influence in the Pacific Northwest, as well, though I don't think it extended to ukuleles and surfboards, you've piqued my interest. I hope you'll keep us updated on your research. Congratulations on the job, it sounds great.

This is from Lardy's website...

"The Southern California Music Co. are a California distributor founded in 1880 and still in business today, though today they are now only one shop and mainly a piano retailer. In the early 20th century they had 6 shops in Los Angeles and San Diego, and were a distributor to other retailers. Their own brand was Rolando and they used this on a range of Banjoleles, (made by or for them in California by George Sandstrom in the teens and moving to supply from the Chicago houses, (Sam Osborn to start with) in the early 20's), plus some other instruments like Guitars. I have never seen a wooden Ukulele branded Rolando but SoCal, (as they were known), did sell a lot of Hawaiian made ones at the time and may have owned the M.Nunes name from the late teens onward, (they commissioned the first ever steel strung Martin Guitars in 1916 and wanted some branded Rolando and some branded M. Nunes?)"

and then...

"George S Sandstrom
An early Banjolele maker from Oakland, California. In 1917, (and awarded in 1920 but in both cases later than John Bolander), he filed a patent for a bracketless head tensioning device that in theory could be used on any Banjo but I have only seen on Banjoleles. His were very similar to other California Banjoleles of the time with the hole in the headstock, and no tailpiece."

and...

"John A Bolander
He is almost certainly the inventor of the Banjolele, well his is the earliest patent, in 1916 anyway. He lived in either Berkeley or San Francisco at the time and was running a business called "the Fiddle Hospital". It is know he produced a number of instrument including Violins and the aforementioned patented Banjo Ukulele. He may also have started a proper manufacturing enterprise for a while and produced instruments for others to brand."

;)

Interesting thread, and interesting job, Driftwood33. Sounds like a complete blast!

Jake Wildwood has a banjolele currently in his shop that he attributes to Harmony as the maker, but says it's "Cali-style". I didn't know there was a Cali-style. Learn something new every day! Welcome, and thanks for posting!

1920s-harmony-made-california-style.html

Thanks for the responses and interest so far!

The banjolele lead is great, that'll get me going in another direction. I've contacted the Southern California Music Company, and will get in touch with the San Diego Historical Society this week as well. The process will probably be a long one, research usually goes that route, so this may become a long thread...

Maki66 - yeah, call it cliché but I saw The Endless Summer in seventh grade and I was a goner. Longboards, shaped for about ten years before going back to school, just love it. I built enough wood boards to get really interested in wood and then started on some minor Uke restoration... the learning curve on that should keep be busy learning for a long while.

This is mostly a bump, though I'll keep contributing as I learn new things.

Right now I'm in the midst of restoring an early Southern California Music Co soprano in flamed koa that is about the prettiest uke I've personally had. Great construction with attention to detail, beautiful wood. Just finished repairing a few cracks and doing the color matching - a bit of French polish in the coming week and I'll post a few shots and a play report.

Does anyone out there have a Columbia or a So. Cal? Or any of the more obscure makers from early California that they'd like to share some info on? I'm really curious about dates, woods used... any manufacturers. Every bit helps!

Mahalo nui nui,

Hi Driftwood, I have been curious about these California built earlier ukes as well. There is not a lot of information out there that I have found but I'd like to know more.

I suspect a bunch of the teens ukes that have a funky label claiming to be "made in Hawaii" and "Native Hawaiian Instrument" were California built ukuleles but there is very little info on this. Jim Tranquada would be the best resource for this.

I have a "Ukulele Mfg. Co" Ukulele that is gorgeous. The label says "Native Hawaiian Instrument" and says "Honolulu" but I don't think it was a Hawaiian build. These ukes prompted the TABU heat stamp as they were so similar to Hawaiian built ukes. Of course, Leonardo Nunes was building in Southern California and although his ukuleles are much revered and are considered Hawaiian because he was born there and his father was Maunel...they were built in Southern CA.

I'm interested to hear what else you find out.

Thanks Vintageukes.

I'd love to see your Ukulele Mfg. Co... that's a new one on me!

Will definitely be in touch with Jim Tranquada, looking forward to that exchange.

And for a bit of eye candy, here is my So. Cal. Music Co. I'll try to get a couple of good photos in the coming days - this is a beautiful little uke and very nicely crafted. I have a working theory on its origin...

Not sure how to insert a photo directly instead of as an attachment, my apologies!

new toy.jpg

Last edited:
I have a very nice vintage Leonardo Nunes made in CA. Ready to sell.

Hi Driftwood33
A friend just gifted me a uke that I think you are referring to as a So. Cal... not sure. I will be restoring it, with research here, and hopefully elsewhere.

IMG_3177.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_5222.jpg

Last edited:
Uke made in LA

Hello, I am hoping someone here can help me. I have about 5 vintage ukes I want to restore. I have found info on most of them, but the one that appears to be the oldest is giving me some trouble. the label is damaged but I'm sure It might be recognizable to someone. Its made in Los
Angeles. IMG_0141.jpg[/ATTACH]IMG_0142.jpgIMG_0143.jpgIMG_0144.jpg

Top Bottom