Rip fats domino:

JJFN

Reaction score
RIP Fats, we've lost another icon from my youth. I hope he finds his thrill on Blueberry Hill.

Wow, I didn't know he passed away. What a gem on this earth he was. Godspeed Mr Domino!

This is an especially sad day here in New Orleans. Fats is so beloved here. Everyone has his music embedded in their souls. We all saw him struggle to get his modest 9th ward home back after Katrina when a lot of folks his age just couldn't bring the energy to bear. In 2006, in the aftermath of the storm, he was to appear at the Jazz Fest. Here's what happened:

Last edited:
So this was Fat's last performance at Jazz Fest in 2001. I was there that day (over to the right). Fats followed first Dr. John, and then Ray Charles onto the stage. What an afternoon! But as good as those first two shows were, Fats easily took the day.

There were concerns he might back out of that 2001 show as well. His good friend Eric Paulsen (see below) rode with him to make sure he didn't get cold feet at the last moment. He had developed a sort of stage fright, likely tied to a fear of his health causing him to disappoint his fans. But he came through and he didn't disappoint as you can hear:

If you click on "watch on YouTube" this is the first song of a playlist that shows the whole show.

Last edited:
To quote the man himself;'Ain't that a shame'

RIP Fats, we've lost another icon from my youth. I hope he finds his thrill on Blueberry Hill.

Yes, RIP indeed. Another historic musical hero, passed into the great beyond...

His contributions to popular music are very much understated and undervalued.

I've always loved all genres of music from the 1950s, but Rock'n'Roll, and Doo Wop always make me smile...and Fats had a way of taking a boogie-woogie and making magic out of it...

He will surely be missed. I am thankful that we still have the gifts of his music, even more appreciative now.

I saw a documentary some time in the last year on PBS about him. It was very interesting. David Bartholomew was featured quite a bit in it as well. David made me laugh with a comment he made about New Orleans and the music. He said that locals were so tuned into the music and culture that even the white people knew to clap on 2&4!
RIP Fats! You are already missed!

One of the "Founding Fathers" of Rock n' Roll. A great talent, and also, a real nice person. Rest in Peace big guy.

Top Bottom