Good grief...

robedney

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm building a fret press. I picked up the 1 ton press from Harbor Freight -- they were out of the 1/2 ton and I figured I might want to make a uke of granite someday, so why not 1 ton?

I ordered the caul and 5 inserts from Stewmac. They are far cheaper on Ebay, but I don't have time to be messing about with things and figured Stewmac would be safer.

Buyer beware, from some inexplicable reason the Stewmac caul set does not come with a flat insert -- all are radius cut in varying degrees.

So, I weighed my options. I could make something -- which costs in time -- or I could order a flat insert from Stewmac for another $4.72 AND pay nearly $20.00 for two day shipping to keep my work flow moving along. That's what I did, and it's made me grumpy.

Thank you for listening :)

Or, you could just put them in with a hammer until the new caul arrives?

I'm building a fret press. I picked up the 1 ton press from Harbor Freight -- they were out of the 1/2 ton and I figured I might want to make a uke of granite someday, so why not 1 ton?

I ordered the caul and 5 inserts from Stewmac. They are far cheaper on Ebay, but I don't have time to be messing about with things and figured Stewmac would be safer.

Buyer beware, from some inexplicable reason the Stewmac caul set does not come with a flat insert -- all are radius cut in varying degrees.

So, I weighed my options. I could make something -- which costs in time -- or I could order a flat insert from Stewmac for another $4.72 AND pay nearly $20.00 for two day shipping to keep my work flow moving along. That's what I did, and it's made me grumpy.

Or, you could just put them in with a hammer until the new caul arrives?

As has been my practice to date. What I'm doing at the moment is setting up to build carbon fiber hybrid ukes. The prototyping is pretty much done, so I'm streamlining the process while also figuring out how long it realistically takes to make one -- prior to pricing. So, I want to use the press as I suspect it will speed things up a bit and perhaps produce a better result. Besides, how many of us can resist the allure of a new tool????

There is also the possibility of bringing in an assistant to help, and it ought to be easier to train someone to use a press. To that end I'm fitting it with a click type torque wrench so the pressure can be regulated. I go back and forth on the whole assistant thing, as properly hiring someone initiates the whole payroll process, filing payroll returns, etc.

I do know that SMD does sell a flat insert because I own one, however it puzzles me that it isn't included in a set... Odd. I think this is an oversight by SMD. Drop them an email. They might listen.

By the way, I love my fretting insert and it works great. Over priced sure, but what else did you expect?

Years back, I use to have a press with all the cauls,etc. Just didn't like the thing and sold it cheap. I guess its what you get use to.

I purchase the StewMac Cauls, and for flat fret boards, I took the flatest radius insert, flipped it so the flat side is pointed down. it has no groove on the flat side to position the fret, but with a little care, will work fine. I place the fret in the slot & push it down a little with fingers, then press it home with the Press.

For flat fretboards you dont need a fancy caul with a centre joint... just a strip of steel 8mm wide X 25mm X 55mm will do nice, just drill a 6mm hole in the top edge and knock in a 30mm X 6mm dia pin ..I've used one for the last 7 years in the drill press with no problems and it didnt cost a penny.

An acquaintance plays a carbon fiber cello. Man, it sounds nice! I forgot to ask her who built it. She is coming to TBUG next week, I'm curious to see what kind of uke she brings....

Hi Nickie,

That cello was almost certainly made by Luis and Clark, the only folks I know of currently making a carbon fiber cello. All we make are violins :)

Top Bottom