NUD - Islander AS-4

RafterGirl

Reaction score
NUD. My new Islander AS-4 soprano arrived yesterday. I purchased this to be my outdoor ukulele. I wanted a smaller uke that would fit better inside my sea kayak than my concert size. This is my first soprano. The 14 frets to the body coupled with the 1.5 inch nut feels very comfortable. Plenty of room for my fingers, and it doesn't seem tiny or cramped like some sopranos I tried. I'll do a string change pretty soon I think. I haven't had much string experience, but I do have some Oasis Bright High G strings that I could try. I put some on my starter laminate concert and they sound good. I really like the Living Waters that are on my KoAloha concert, so I may order some of them as well. I'm very happy with this new uke so far, and I think it will be a fine outdoor companion. The size will definitely fit in my sea kayak much better. One sour note.....the padded gig bag that was an added cost was quite a letdown. Pretty flimsy looking and not nearly enough padding. I ordered a better one on Amazon last night. The Islander AS-4 fits nicely in the soprano hard case I ordered ahead of time.

Here are a couple pictures. Yes, I did add one embellishment to the headstock....The uke's name is Turtle.

Attachments

• DSCF1497.jpg
    DSCF1497.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF1495.jpg
    DSCF1495.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 72
Congratulagions, I love the turtle on the headstock. If you remember I have the same instrument and I like it a lot. Because it is a longer scale than a standard soprano you can use concert gauge strings if you like, gives more options. I have liked both Martin M600 and Worth CM on mine. Enjoy it!!!

Congratulagions, I love the turtle on the headstock. If you remember I have the same instrument and I like it a lot. Because it is a longer scale than a standard soprano you can use concert gauge strings if you like, gives more options. I have liked both Martin M600 and Worth CM on mine. Enjoy it!!!
Thanks for the string recommendations. The Aquillas are so-so. I'd like to maximize performance. Articulate, clear, with good volume is what I'm after.

I got some of the Honu turtle ukulele stickers from Amazon. My original thought was to place them emerging from the sound hole. They come in a set of 4, in graduated sizes. The pictures of this on Amazon looked fun, but when I got the uke, I changed my mind. It's a nice looking uke all on it's own. However, the Islander label on the headstock kind of blends in to the color of the wood. I decided to add the turtle sticker to the headstock to give it a little bling.

Thanks for the string recommendations. The Aquillas are so-so. I'd like to maximize performance. Articulate, clear, with good volume is what I'm after.

I got some of the Honu turtle ukulele stickers from Amazon. My original thought was to place them emerging from the sound hole. They come in a set of 4, in graduated sizes. The pictures of this on Amazon looked fun, but when I got the uke, I changed my mind. It's a nice looking uke all on it's own. However, the Islander label on the headstock kind of blends in to the color of the wood. I decided to add the turtle sticker to the headstock to give it a little bling.

I thought this string comparison was interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsxmo63MW4E

Congratulations! The turtle looks cool, I thought it was inlaid!

Congratulations!
I think this may be my next, I'd really like a wide neck laminate.

Top Bottom