Planetary Tuning Pegs

AmandaJ

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section to post this in - but I have a question I was hoping someone would be able to help with.

I've recently bought a Duke 10 Tenor Banjolele - over all I like it and it's really fun to play. But I'm not a big fan of the tuning pegs so I'm thinking of replacing them. Does anyone have any recommendations for good planetary tuning pegs?

Not sure if this is the right section to post this in - but I have a question I was hoping someone would be able to help with.

I've recently bought a Duke 10 Tenor Banjolele - over all I like it and it's really fun to play. But I'm not a big fan of the tuning pegs so I'm thinking of replacing them. Does anyone have any recommendations for good planetary tuning pegs?

The pegs on the Duke 10 are supposed to be planetary tuning pegs. Don't yours work very well? (I have one on order so I'm curious.)

The pegs on the Duke 10 are supposed to be planetary tuning pegs. Don't yours work very well? (I have one on order so I'm curious.)

I don’t have planetary tuning pegs on any of my other instruments so maybe I’m expecting too much. I’m finding they when I’m trying to tune my instrument, either the pegs don’t seem to do anything or it suddenly jumps (don’t know if that makes sense?) so it’s just a little irritating. Otherwise it’s quite a fun instrument :). So I don’t mind paying to replace them with something better.

Well I should be getting my Duke 10 in just a couple of weeks, but I already have the Magic Fluke Tenor Banjo Uke, and figure I'll only keep one. So I'll have to see which one I ultimately prefer. Stay tuned for a sale here of the loser.

I was trying to make the same decision. But then bazmaz was selling a Duke 10 so decided to go for it. It will be interesting to see which one you prefer.

Amanda, My Duke 8 probably has the same tuners, and mine work great. Have you contacted Duke about this?

I don’t have planetary tuning pegs on any of my other instruments so maybe I’m expecting too much. I’m finding they when I’m trying to tune my instrument, either the pegs don’t seem to do anything or it suddenly jumps (don’t know if that makes sense?) so it’s just a little irritating. Otherwise it’s quite a fun instrument :). So I don’t mind paying to replace them with something better.

There are really good planetary tuners, there are average, and there are poor. Probably the best all round ie quality plus price, are Gotoh tuners. $60.00 a set. Worth changing them out at that price. They work superbly.

There are really good planetary tuners, there are average, and there are poor. Probably the best all round ie quality plus price, are Gotoh tuners. $60.00 a set. Worth changing them out at that price. They work superbly.

I ended up with Gotohs - they do seem quite nice. And a little smaller than the originals so I'm happy with them.

Gotoh has two planetary tuners, UPT and UPTL. The UPT manufacturer recommended head thickness is 10-12 mm. UPTL is 11.5-13.5 mm.

Top Bottom