If only I was 20 years younger

cpatch

Reaction score
So I'm in a college town a few weeks ago visiting family and I take my nephew into a guitar store to get him something for his birthday. While he's messing around with heavy metal effects boxes I wander over to the uke section and start messing around with a Kala soprano. Within a few minutes two attractive coeds come over and start asking me about the ukulele, whether it's easy to learn, what a happy-sounding instrument it is, blah blah blah. Number of attractive coeds chatting up Mr. Heavy Metal? Zero. Did he notice? Oh yeah.

Chicks dig the uke.

It's a Freudian thing. :p

So did "Mr. Heavy Metal" get a uke or a guitar for his birthday, Craig? Maybe you should have stroked your nephew's ego and told him the babes just wanted to get closer to him...NAH! Let him drool! LOL! Ric

Last edited:
When they ask why you play such a small instrument just tell them you're compensating for something.
It's reverse psychology. Like cars. Guys who drive small cars are making a Freudian statement that they don't need to compensate for small tackle or some psychological handicap.

Guys who drive Hummers and SUVs - well, what can I say? They're like the guys who buy the biggest amps and the wildest, can-opener style electric guitars.

So did "Mr. Heavy Metal" get a uke or a guitar for his birthday, Craig? Maybe you should have stroked your nephew's ego and told him the babes just wanted to get closer to him...NAH! Let him drool! LOL! Ric
No, he got a death metal effects box. But between the girls in the guitar store and me showing him Jake's "Strawberry Fields" video I did change his impression of what the uke is capable of. Baby steps!

Last edited:
So I'm in a college town a few weeks ago visiting family and I take my nephew into a guitar store to get him something for his birthday. While he's messing around with heavy metal effects boxes I wander over to the uke section and start messing around with a Kala soprano. Within a few minutes two attractive coeds come over and start asking me about the ukulele, whether it's easy to learn, what a happy-sounding instrument it is, blah blah blah. Number of attractive coeds chatting up Mr. Heavy Metal? Zero. Did he notice? Oh yeah.

Maybe it's just your magnetic personality.

Awesome! Man this might be true and might have happened to me!

The chick at the music store saturday didnt start flirting with me until I started talking to her about ukes!!!!

It's reverse psychology. Like cars. Guys who drive small cars are making a Freudian statement that they don't need to compensate for small tackle or some psychological handicap.

Guys who drive Hummers and SUVs - well, what can I say? They're like the guys who buy the biggest amps and the wildest, can-opener style electric guitars.

:biglaugh:

I love that "can-opener style electric guitars" description.

Last summer I went to the park 3 or so times with my guitar, and hardly anyone stopped to talk. But last week I went to a less populated park to practice for an upcoming open mic, hoping I could sing louder than in my apartment. I had 4 seperate groups of people approach me to talk about uke. Haha. Got barely any practice in... but who cares, its awesome to talk about uke.

And some of them were girls. And I got a number. Haha that's actually one of 2 stories I have of uke getting the girl. The uke is a wondrous thing on all fronts.

I had the same thing happen to me in a music store in Napa, CA. Three pretty young things came over and did a mock hula while I strummed Ukulele Lady and then started chatting me up. I would have to have been 30 years younger though. If I only knew this when I was a kid.

It did occur to me that they were talking to me precisely because I was an old fart with a uke.

Opportunity knocks at the least opportune time.

The uke is a wondrous thing on all fronts.

So is a girl...

And backs. don't forget the backs. :p

I love a lady with a muscular back. One of my former sweeties visited me at the Pike Place Market a couple weeks ago and gave me a hug. I'd forgotten what a lovely, strong back she had (she's a dancer and is nicely muscled pretty much all over).

She doesn't play ukulele though.

Top Bottom