New Build Thread: Joji Yoshida Lucky Strike Redwood / Brazilian Rosewood Tenor

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I commissioned a tenor ukulele from Joji Yoshida, one of the fine luthiers contributing to our Luthiers for a Cause project. He is working diligently to finish the uke so he can show it at the Hawaii Ukulele Festival (Nov. 17-19), which means I'll be bringing it home with me. ;-)

This uke has some elements of the project ukes in its soul. Joji is using Lucky Strike redwood for the top and The Tree for the bindings and endgraft (the project ukes are Lucky Strike redwood tops with The Tree for back and sides).

The story on the Lucky Strike redwood top is part of this storm-felled tree laid over a small ravine and air dried for many years. As a result, wood from this section of the tree has higher stiffness-to-weight than is typically found in redwood. Those who are very familiar with it say it combines the best attributes of both spruce and redwood.

Continuing to tie in some elements of the Luthiers for a Cause project, I commissioned Harvey Leach to do an inlay and Rob Rodgers to make the tuners. Harvey leach is a world-renowned inlay artist who inlayed the Luthiers for a Cause logo on the project uke fretboards. And Rob Rodgers makes incredible, custom tuners which he contributed for each of the project ukes as well.

I picked BRW for the body wood and then Joji scored some of the craziest, most beautiful quilted maple I have ever seen. Many people know I have a maple addiction. It was hard not to switch the build, but I decided to say the course with the BRW.

Basic specs:

Top: Lucky Strike Redwood
Body: Brazilian rosewood
Bindings: The Tree
Rosette: Maple and The Tree
Endgraft: The Tree
Headstock: Slotted with torch inlay on ebony by Harvey Leach
Fretboard & bridge: Ebony
Tuners: Rodgers

Harvey Leach torch inlay:

Rob Rodgers tuners:

BRW body & sides (and Joji's toes ;-):

Lucky Strike redwood top with rosette of maple & The Tree:

Last edited:
Holy moly man.......your wife will need to say 15 is the new 2!!! Really spectacular in everyway Eddie, very wise to stick with BRW, espiecally those pieces.

Last edited:
Each of these elements, singularly beautiful, combine so effortlessly; stunning! Love the history and story behind it. A true collaboration!

Congratulations on the build. I presume your efforts in getting it coordinated are equally impressive. Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Another beauty Eddie. You have a good eye for design.
In terms of numbers of ukes, Tell your wife you’ll definitely keep to 2....dozen. :D

Going to be a real beauty Eddie. That BRW woodset is just gorgeous. Can’t wait to see the details in close up.

WOW, just...WOW! Can't wait to see that BRW grain light up when the finish hits it.

That looks super classy, love the torch. And the voice it’ll have!

Whoa Eddie it looks amazing! Really looking forward to seeing the completed product. Congrats!

Also is it really true that Joji gives you BRW in the base price of 5000? That's what it says on his website but im not sure it applies to this day. That sure is crazy if so; what a deal! :)

Thanks, all. Yes, quite excited for this one.

@CheeseSandwich: Correct. Joji does not have a surcharge for BRW that he has on hand. At present, his base price includes any Master grade wood that he has on hand.

Last edited:
Well, my friend, you've certainly got yourself boxed in now. Fabulous wood transformed into a sublime instrument by the finest of craftsmen. What does that leave for the next one? ;)

Congratulations. It's a beauty!

Wow.....holy cow. You lucky stiff, that is gonna be SOME ukulele! Will it have a pickup in it?:drool:

Finishing this uke for UGH turned out to be a bridge too far. I certainly didn't want to rush a master craftsman, so I told Joji to take his time. It is now just about a day or two from being complete. Joji is gluing the bridge today and then strings in the next day or two. Pretty excited that I should have this in the next week or 10 days. Here are a few recent photos:

Last edited:
Lucky you!
I was fortunate enough to get to play each of the Luthiers for a Cause ukuleles and Joji's was one of my favorites!
So happy for you!
She is a real stunner!

I know why you had him build you this instrument.........that curly maple neck is outrageous. The flaming in the slots on the headstock is worth the price alone, the rest of the instrument is pretty spectacular too!!!

David Ingalls is right, where are you going to go from here;)

WOW!!! :drool:

I'm glad you bumped this with an update as I somehow missed the original post. That is amazing Eddie! Congrats on a stunner! I can't wait to hear your impressions after you get it.

Spectacular Eddie! And beautiful work Joji.

Are there shipping issues with CITES and the BRW?

Top Bottom