Great deal leads to a NUD

CJay

Reaction score
Hi All,

I normally read other people's thoughts more than post but I had to share this.

I had stopped by the surf shop where my daughter works just to say hi. This particular shop sell a decent amount of ukuleles and I got to talking to the store owner about them. We played several and discussed what we liked and didn't like about them. Then he said he had something he wanted to show me. He came back from the store room with a box and asked me if I had ever seen one of these. It was a kala thin line baritone with the solid spruce top.

Now I have always been taken with Kala's travel ukes but I just couldn't justify spending the money. The uke was beautiful and played great ( even if it was my first time with a Bari). He then went on to tell me he was getting ready to send it back to Kala because he just never found anyone interested and a couple of the wound strings were frayed when he got it. I told him I loved it and he said he would make me a deal.

$125 out the door:drool: for a new Kala travel baritone, gig bag, and a set of lava strings because of the wound strings starting to fray. I couldn't believe it.

What else could I do but buy it right then. Now I have a uke I've always wanted and I get to learn to play baritone.

By the way the uke sounds great. I may work on the action some but right now I'm enjoying just as it is.

Sometimes it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

Last edited:
Congrats and good on you for seizing the opportunity.

If something like that happened to me, and I had the cash, I too would have done the same.

ENJOY! :) :music:

Hi All,

I normally read other people's thoughts more than post but I had to share this.

I had stopped by the surf shop where my daughter works just to say hi. This particular shop sell a decent amount of ukuleles and I got to talking to the store owner about them. We played several and discussed what we liked and didn't like about them. Then he said he had something he wanted to show me. He came back from the store room with a box and asked me if I had ever seen one of these. It was a kala thin line baritone with the solid spruce top.

Now I have always been taken with Kala's travel ukes but I just couldn't justify spending the money. The uke was beautiful and played great ( even if it was my first time with a Bari). He then went on to tell me he was getting ready to send it back to Kala because he just never found anyone interested and a couple of the wound strings were frayed when he got it. I told him I loved it and he said he would make me a deal.

$125 out the door:drool: for a new Kala travel baritone, gig bag, and a set of lava strings because of the wound strings starting to fray. I couldn't believe it.

What else could I do but buy it right then. Now I have a uke I've always wanted and I get to learn to play baritone.

By the way the uke sounds great. I may work on the action some but right now I'm enjoying just as it is.

Sometimes it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

Steal of a deal on a great baritone. I had one. Great tone and super comfortable to play. Enjoy!

WTG! Congratulations!

Some days you're lucky, did you buy a lotto ticket too?

I really like my travel tenor the slim body makes for a nice hold. We do need pictures though or a video to hear the smooth tones.

Great deal for sure! Enjoy :) ...or if you decide to sell it sometime, you got such a good deal you may not lose a dime.

Congrats on a great deal.
Say....where is this surf shop?

to the OP..i play and see many Kala Baritones and really like them the tone is nice.....the Makala Baritones that sell for around $85.00 really sound good too.....I do not play Baritones but Congrats on the new uke....

here is a video
Kalei liked it so much he bought the Baritone..

https://vimeo.com/220249927

Last edited:
What a deal. I love the Kala thin (travel) ukes. Enjoy!

Definitely the right place at the right time; you're right about that! Congratulations on the alignment of the stars!

Last edited:
The store is on one of the barrier islands in North Carolina. Looking at your location it may be a bit far for you.

I am really enjoying the uke but I'm a bit hesitant to post videos. I know my skill level won't do it justice. Actually the only people who have ever heard me play is my family and people in the stores when I would play a few chords to try out a uke.

I'm also thinking about going GCEA with it just because so far getting used to the shapes being different chords is confusing me no end.

The store is on one of the barrier islands in North Carolina. Looking at your location it may be a bit far for you.

I am really enjoying the uke but I'm a bit hesitant to post videos. I know my skill level won't do it justice. Actually the only people who have ever heard me play is my family and people in the stores when I would play a few chords to try out a uke.

I'm also thinking about going GCEA with it just because so far getting used to the shapes being different chords is confusing me no end.

Play it for a few months and you'll learn how to shift from C tuned to G tuned. It took me about two months of switching to get familiar but after 10 months now I can switch easily. Down load a Baritone chord chart and keep it handy. I play both every day and really like the difference in tones.

Top Bottom