Something a bit different - Taropatch photo set

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I've built a few of these over the years and it always amazes me how punchy these little instruemnts are.

This one is an all Aussie instrument. Australian Blackwood body. King Billy Pine sound board. Ringed Gidgee fret board, bindings and head plate veneers. Spalted mango grown locally in Cains for the rosette and bridge veneer. Bridge is also Australian Blackwood. Finished in Satin Gloss lacquer.

Blackwood and King Billy Taropatch4.jpgBlackwood and King Billy Taropatch8.jpgBlackwood and King Billy Taropatch3.jpgBlackwood and King Billy Taropatch10.jpgBlackwood and King Billy Taropatch11.jpg

Your instruments are absolutely immaculate. I looked hard and I couldn't even find a fleck of polishing compound. Perhaps the perfect ukulele?

So, is any 8 string Uke a taropatch? Or is there a difference in build? In tuning? ???

So, is any 8 string Uke a taropatch? Or is there a difference in build? In tuning? ???

I've been told it's the name given to concert size 8 string ukes. But it may have something to do with tuning. In any case all the ones I've built have been tuned to gG, cC, ee, aa

Of course the taro is a type of edible plant and is grown in a clearing called a "taropatch". How this came to be called a type of musical instrument I have no idea. Perhaps somebody knows. Below something about the taro plant:

One mythological version of Hawaiian ancestry cites the taro plant as an ancestor to Hawaiians. Legend joins the two siblings of high and divine rank: Papahānaumoku ("Papa from whom lands are born", or Earth mother) and Wākea (Sky father). Together they create the islands of Hawaii and a beautiful woman, Hoʻohokukalani (The Heavenly one who made the stars).[18]
The story of kalo begins when Wakea and Papa conceived their daughter, Hoʻohokukalani. Daughter and father then conceived a child together named Hāloanakalaukapalili (Long stalk trembling), but it was stillborn. After the father and daughter buried the child near their house, a kalo plant grew over the grave:[19]

The stems were slender and when the wind blew they swayed and bent as though paying homage, their heart-shaped leaves shivering gracefully as in hula. And in the center of each leaf water gathered, like a mother’s teardrop.[20]

Top Bottom