PDA

View Full Version : Case for Teardrop Uke?

strat4me
10-27-2017, 05:31 PM
Have a uncased little Favilla Teardrop uke. Any one found or know of a case that this would fit properly in? Doesn't fit in normal soprano case.
???

Graham Greenbag
10-27-2017, 10:55 PM
One option is to build a case, it can be a rewarding process and not too difficult :D I built one for 2 Mya Moe ukes a while back.

What beautiful work. I thought it a good suggestion but fear that only a small percentage of people might be able to make it work for them. I have a couple of inexpensive Pineapple Sopranos, whilst Im perfectly happy with keeping them in soft cases a search for a hardcase was fruitless. If you have a Vita shaped Uke then youll struggle too.

I concluded that if you have a none standard shaped Uke then your easiest way forward is to buy an oversize case and cushioning to place within it. Id be glad to be proved wrong.

Stagehand
10-28-2017, 12:40 AM
A Steady semi rigid case for mine. I bought it from Mim's Ukes.
'Will try to post some pics later today after work.

SoloRule
10-28-2017, 02:20 AM
One option is to build a case, it can be a rewarding process and not too difficult :D I built one for 2 Mya Moe ukes a while back.

Do you take order?
Imagine this:
Custom case built by an Australian composer!

strat4me
10-28-2017, 05:23 PM
What a beautiful idea and job! Thank you for sharing.

Stagehand
10-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Sorry it took so long.

The neck block is movable with a hook and loop fastener.

103939 103940 103941

strat4me
10-28-2017, 08:03 PM
Thank you Stagehand for the photos, this looks perfect! I would love Mr. Strat4me to make a custom one for me but his "to do" list is quite long at the moment. LOVE your Favilla!!

Graham Greenbag
10-28-2017, 10:44 PM
Stagehand’s solution looks good to me. I looked up Steady brand Ukulele cases but couldn’t find anything current - maybe they are no longer available - but it did prompt other thoughts.

A semi-ridged type case might be modifiable and perhaps, as violins use them too, they might be in reasonable supply? As another alternative I looked at the Uke Republic site, together with semi-ridged cases they also sell hard cases for (Ohana) Pineapple shape Ukes so maybe one of those alternatives might fit or give the OP some ideas for further investigation.

Edit. A Google search for Pineapple cases turned up something at Austin Bazaar and Amazon, so made worth a trawl?
https://www.austinbazaar.com/gearlux-pineapple-ukulele-polyfoam-case-glx-uc-150-p.html
https://www.amazon.com/Soprano-Pineapple-Ukulele-Case-Black/dp/B000GVMMHC
I have no connection with either company.
I think that the product at Austin was once sold by Amazon so there might be customer feedback for it there.

janeray1940
10-28-2017, 10:57 PM
I don't know if they still make the tweed Stagg pineapple soprano cases, but I had one that I passed on to a friend years ago for her Favilla teardrop. It fit quite well, so even if you can't find one of that specific brand, I second the recommendation to look into pineapple soprano cases.

EDW
10-29-2017, 04:35 AM
I believe that the Steady case is the Fremont case

http://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com/product/fremont-deluxe-ukulele-carrying-case-w-backpack-straps

You use might also look at cases that are designed for the vita style ukes or a mandolin case

strat4me
10-29-2017, 05:47 AM
So many great ideas. I'll follow-up on ALL of them. Major THANKS!

Stagehand
10-29-2017, 08:44 AM
I believe that the Steady case is the Fremont case

http://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com/product/fremont-deluxe-ukulele-carrying-case-w-backpack-straps

I think that you are correct. Just a very minor difference on the top of the handle.

I don't know if they still make the tweed Stagg pineapple soprano cases, but I had one that I passed on to a friend years ago for her Favilla teardrop. It fit quite well, so even if you can't find one of that specific brand, I second the recommendation to look into pineapple soprano cases.

Not all pineapple cases will work.
I have a Ko'olau/Pono for a KoAloha pineapple (fits like a glove) and the Favilla swims in it as well as the neck support is too tall.

103954 103955103956103957

janeray1940
10-29-2017, 09:24 AM
I have a Ko'olau/Pono for a KoAloha pineapple (fits like a glove) and the Favilla swims in it as well as the neck support is too tall.

Funny thing about that Stagg case that I used to have - I bought it online for a Kamaka pineapple (which is a bit narrower than the Koaloha) but the case was too small. Fit my friend's Favilla perfectly though, but probably doesn't fit much else.

Tootler
10-30-2017, 10:51 PM
Would a mandolin case work?

Lillymo
05-30-2019, 06:21 PM
Have an uncased little Favilla Teardrop uke. Anyone found or know of a case that this would fit properly in?

Hi strat4me, I realize this is an old thread but I just got a Favilla Teardrop and would love to know, what kind of case did you end up getting?

Jerryc41
05-31-2019, 01:03 AM
Hi strat4me, I realize this is an old thread but I just got a Favilla Teardrop and would love to know, what kind of case did you end up getting?

I have some odd-shaped ukes, and by trial and error - with my current cases - I've found both regular hard cases and hard zippered cases that fit. The zippered cases seem to have more variation in interior design.