Playing ukulele and guitar together

Avivw

Reaction score
Hello,
I wanna play my ukulele together with a guitar player,
But when I play for example, a D chord on the ukulele and the guitarist plays D chord as well, it just doesn't sound right.
What options do I have if we wanna play chords together?

Thank you.

A D chord is a D chord. If you are both playing the right shape and are in tune, they should sound the same. What kind of uke do you have and what shape are you making for the D chord?

A D chord is a D chord. If you are both playing the right shape and are in tune, they should sound the same. What kind of uke do you have and what shape are you making for the D chord?

Jim is right. Are you tuned GCEA and is the guitar to EADGBE, if so they should sound ok together

Hello,
I wanna play my ukulele together with a guitar player,
But when I play for example, a D chord on the ukulele and the guitarist plays D chord as well, it just doesn't sound right.
What options do I have if we wanna play chords together?

Thank you.

Do you check before playing that you're in tune with one another? That's the only reason I could think of a ukulele and guitar not sounding "right" together.

Another possibility is that you're both playing the same chord shape, so when you play it it's a D and when they play it it's an A but this seems an unlikely one!

As above. I play with my Uke buddy's guitar and we sound Okay together. We even play baritone and guitar together and tenor and concert too. They do sound 'different' due to the re-entrant tuning but Okay.

Thank you all.
I found out that the ukulele gets untuned only after few seconds of playing. All strings become too low.
I contacted the seller of this ukelele and he told me it is only because it's a new ukulele and this issue will be gone in a while.
Should I be worry that the ukulele might be defected?

New strings do take a while to settle in... but a few seconds? That doesn't seem good. What kind of ukulele is it?

Should I be worry that the ukulele might be defected?

You should only worry if this is still happening after couple of weeks of regular tuning up. Aquila strings in particular stretch loads and a lot of new instruments come with those on.

New strings do stretch and continue to do so for the first week or so of playing. What is the make and model of ukulele. Does it have side facing geared tuning machines or rear facing friction tuning machines. If they are friction tuners they can become loose, they will not hold the tension then. There is a screw that passes through the knob that can be tightened and they will compress the assembly, as it should be to hold the tension

Last edited:
Top Bottom