Octave baritone question

CJay

Reaction score
I have decided to experiment a bit with my new baritone. I want to tune it GCEA, but I would like to tune it an octave lower than standard to see if it will keep the rich baritone sound.

I watched this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIC1c4wYwTA where he used D'addrio extra high tension classical guitar strings to do this. I liked the sound but I would like linear tuning. He says which individual strings he used, but as his was gCEA he used a different g string.

My question is which string should I use for octave low G tuning?

I tune my 20" scale baritone in GDAE octave mandolin tuning, and like this Thomastik flatwound one for my low G. I tried the 6th string from the D'Addario high tension classical set first, and it sounded okay but had a lot of finger noise (being round wound), but it didn't last very long, either. The Thomastik is a whole lot better sounding and more durable, so I'll be using these from now on.

brastche

I had octave low g strings on a bari and found it very muddy sounding, may have been the poor quality uke tho.

I tune my 20" scale baritone in GDAE octave mandolin tuning, and like this Thomastik flatwound one for my low G. I tried the 6th string from the D'Addario high tension classical set first, and it sounded okay but had a lot of finger noise (being round wound), but it didn't last very long, either. The Thomastik is a whole lot better sounding and more durable, so I'll be using these from now on.

brastche

Thanks. That answers my question. I'll try the e string that comes with the set and if I like the sound I'll order a flat wound.

I had octave low g strings on a bari and found it very muddy sounding, may have been the poor quality uke tho.
This was my experience as well. Sounded good when strumming with others in standard tuning, but I did not like it playing solo.

I have a set of low octave GCEA Guadalupe strings on my Mainland baritone. I love them. They give me the low range of the baritone without having to transpose anything. I think it makes the baritone better. I also like how they are all wound. They are cool like that.

any set of classical guitar strings

6th E tuned to G
5th A tuned to C
4th D tuned to E
3rd G tuned to A

I'm assuming your scale length is around 20"

If you tune a bari gcea surely it will already be lower than a soprano/concert thus tuned?

Well, the point of an octave 'ukulele is to be an octave lower. It adds a nice contrast when played with other 'ukuleles.
G4-C4-E4-A4 = typical reentrant 'ukulele tuning (applies to sopranos, concerts, and tenors in the U.S.)
G3-C4-E4-A4 = typical low-G 'ukulele tuning (You can purchase strings which allow you to tune a baritone to this same set of frequencies)
D3-G3-B3-E4 = typical baritone 'ukulele tuning (though some use D4 to make a reentrant baritone)
G2-C3-E3-A3 = octave 'ukulele tuning
A2-D3-G3-C4-E4-A4 = typical guitalele tuning
E2-A2-D3-G3-B3-E4 = typical guitar tuning
E2-A2-D3-G3 = bass 'ukulele tuning (rare, but Luna makes one, and Kamoa used to make one)
E1-A1-D2-G2 = U-bass (ultra-bass) 'ukulele tuning (these are more widely seen)
E1-A1-D2-G2 = bass guitar tuning

In all of the above, C4 = middle-C on the piano. C3 is an octave below middle C.

A typical baritone is tuned 5 semi-tones (half steps) lower than most other 'ukuleles. An octave 'ukulele is tuned 12 half steps (one octave) below most other 'ukuleles.

Last edited:
Getting a G2 open string on a baritone that will intonate well with enough tension can be a challenge.

In my own experiments, you need something along the lines of an 0.052"-0.056" diameter wound classical guitar string in order to give enough tension, otherwise your intonation will be more than +15 cents sharp.

Such a fat string will in fact require you to widen the nut slot as well as possibly widen the hole in the bridge for this width.

I found it far easier to do a re-entrant octave uke on baritone, with a G3 string (instead of G2), which you can use the normal baritone G string which is typically a classical guitar string with an 0.030"-0.033" diameter if it is silver-plated copper over a nylon fiber core (like most are made)...

Using a typical baritone G3 string, you do not have to widen the nut slot, and the tension is usually just fine for proper intonation.

When I went to buy my bari it was tuned reentrant, unwound strings, which I thought was weird (I got em changed to EJ88Bs)

Top Bottom