Is this a normal behaviour?

SoloRule

Reaction score
While you are waiting for delivery of your newly ordered uke, you decided to spend the time looking seriously in UU marketplace, flea-market, HMS, uke republic .............. I mean serious not just browsing to kill time.

Is this normal in our world?
I hope all you enablers out there assure me I am not the only SICKO.

To be honest, I never understood why ukulele players usually buy so many instruments. I tend to get attached to one instrument and focus more on playing than collecting. But it's common, from what I saw.

To be honest, I never understood why ukulele players usually buy so many instruments. I tend to get attached to one instrument and focus more on playing than collecting. But it's common, from what I saw.

Hmmm that's what I asked every time someone buy another pricey uke then I quickly followed and lost my principle.

Those that know Brenda know she is a very accomplished player. She will play and practice 4-6 hrs a day without breaking a sweat. This is a direct response to Iza's comment above.

I don't know if it is normal but I do it too. Nothing wrong with searching for a finely crafted instrument that might enjoy playing. Knowing full well you won't find any better sounding instruments then you already own. Different maybe, and sometimes different is good.

Yep, it's about finding out about different ukes, more than just acquiring a collection - & quite normal to have a look at what's available. :)

As long as you can resist buying - just because it's a good price, doesn't mean you need it. ;)

I think that it is normal here in the uu community.

I'm the same. I'm a one instrument guy so usually have acquisition syndrome until I find the one instrument that feels right in my hands and to my ears, then I work on building a relationship with it. But I do like browsing and pretending I'm about to buy something, which I guess is its own category of weirdness.

There's always so many new models coming out you can think of it as staying up to date on current affairs in the uke sector! I like to browse HMS just to watch the Corey and Kalei videos anyway, watching those guys makes me practice more.

Why not? Waaaay less expensive than guitars. My wife and I started with ukes only 4 months ago and now we have 15! We still look at the Marketplace every day although I think we've got our bases covered for awhile. Even sold one we didn't bond with. The rest are like children - each special and unique and all loved and enjoyed for their individual characteristics.

Part of the reason for a variety is to enable us to place them all over the house in different rooms, office, barn, work, etc. so one is ALWAYS handy and available to pick-up and practice with.

Also love a variety of tunings without having to make any adjustments. Just pick-up the one that fits THAT song.

Brenda is an inspiration to many of us. ;-)

OOOOPS! My wife just bought a 1920s Lyons & Healy Camp Uke! Here's the new baby.Camp Uke.jpg

Who wants to be normal...anyway.

Last edited:
I'm the same. I'm a one instrument guy so usually have acquisition syndrome until I find the one instrument that feels right in my hands and to my ears, then I work on building a relationship with it. But I do like browsing and pretending I'm about to buy something, which I guess is its own category of weirdness.

I do this too xD

It's not a problem until you start getting packages and you aren't sure which ukulele the mailman is bringing to the door that day! And even then it's not really a bad problem to have.

I'll tell you what is not normal, seeing a ukulele at the pawn shop that you don't even like or want, and then feeling guilty when you get home because you didn't buy it.

Last edited:
Rllink : that is just wayyyy too funny. I must visit a pawn shop with downupdave !
Kyle 23 : I bet you have already brought your KoAloha many younger brothers and sisters since your last post.

Why not? Waaaay less expensive than guitars. My wife and I started with ukes only 4 months ago and now we have 15! We still look at the Marketplace every day although I think we've got our bases covered for awhile. Even sold one we didn't bond with. The rest are like children - each special and unique and all loved and enjoyed for their individual characteristics.

Part of the reason for a variety is to enable us to place them all over the house in different rooms, office, barn, work, etc. so one is ALWAYS handy and available to pick-up and practice with.

Also love a variety of tunings without having to make any adjustments. Just pick-up the one that fits THAT song.

Brenda is an inspiration to many of us. ;-)

OOOOPS! My wife just bought a 1920s Lyons & Healy Camp Uke! Here's the new baby.View attachment 104072

Who wants to be normal...anyway.

Thank you for the nice comment about being someone's inspiration. That's really really made my day. I started my ukulele journey only 2 1/2 years ago.
By the way, that is one interesting looking uke. At the moment I am looking at exactly that -something unique ! I like to think outside the box. Traditional looking ukes are starting to bore me. I am so desperate that I even consider this .... Luckily, the seller never responded (it has been three days since I sent him the email) ! I would have bought it already!

https://reverb.com/item/5754306-riptide-uc-2n-concert-ukulele-naturalScreen Shot 2017-11-01 at 2.33.50 PM.jpg

Rllink : that is just wayyyy too funny. I must visit a pawn shop with downupdave !
Kyle 23 : I bet you have already brought your KoAloha many younger brothers and sisters since your last post.

I wish! I actually haven't been very active with the uke over the past year. I go through periods of time where I can't put my uke down and times where I don't play for months. Makes me sad :(

While you are waiting for delivery of your newly ordered uke, you decided to spend the time looking seriously in UU marketplace, flea-market, HMS, uke republic .............. I mean serious not just browsing to kill time.

Is this normal in our world?
I hope all you enablers out there assure me I am not the only SICKO.

Aloha Brenda!

May I ask? .... What newly ordered uke are you waiting for delivery???:confused:

Thank you for the nice comment about being someone's inspiration. That's really really made my day. I started my ukulele journey only 2 1/2 years ago.
By the way, that is one interesting looking uke. At the moment I am looking at exactly that -something unique ! I like to think outside the box. Traditional looking ukes are starting to bore me. I am so desperate that I even consider this .... Luckily, the seller never responded (it has been three days since I sent him the email) ! I would have bought it already!

https://reverb.com/item/5754306-riptide-uc-2n-concert-ukulele-naturalView attachment 104080

I was playing guitar for 4 years - a serious musical instrument doncha know. I humored my wife's interest in ukes and happen to listen to Brenda's version of "Moon represents my heart" and I got tears in my eyes." I wrote Brenda re TAB and she graciously responded.

I now play many ukes - a serious musical instrument... Doncha know!

Thanks Brenda.

Oh, oh. My wife is looking at the just posted Brucko!

Last edited:
Ahoy Brenda

What is normal,
most everybody i know thinks my love of ukes is anything but normal.

yours truly
mac

Top Bottom