It was meant to be.

John Colter

It ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it
UU VIP
Reaction score
Early in 2009, the Ukulele Shop (then in London) asked me to write a review of two new sopranos from Ohana. They were the SK-50MG and the SK-70MG. The ukes were then donated to my old friend Ray Shakeshaft, to be included in the raffle prizes at the Hollesley Uke Jamboree, at the end of July.

I was very impressed with both ukes, but particularly liked the cedar fronted SK-50. The reviews appeared on Ray's “UK Ukes” web site, and on Ukulele Cosmos and Ukulele Underground Forums. I ended my write-up like this:-

“Thanks to Ohana and The Ukulele Shop, both these ukes will be offered as prizes at the Hollesley Ukulele Festival in Suffolk, UK at the end of July 2009. I will be sure to buy some tickets, and would be delighted to own either of them.”

At Hollesley I did have a winning ticket, and was presented with the SK-70 – the one with the spruce front. The SK-50 was won by a friend of mine. Delighted as I was by my prize uke, I couldn't help wishing that it had been the cedar fronted version – the one that had really spoken to me.

I enjoyed the SK-70 for about five years and got a fair amount of use from it, then, in an unaccustomed fit of generosity, I re-donated it to the Hollesley raffle, where it was won by another delighted regular.

Fast forward to Sept of this year (2017). Something I read reminded me of that Ohana SK-50 that had tickled my acquisition receptors eight years previously. I looked on line and learned that the SK-50 had not sold in big numbers, and was discontinued some time ago. I was unable to find a used example on the usual sites, so decided to ask my friend if they still had their prize uke, and if so, would they be prepared to sell. The answers were “Yes” and “Yes”.

So it was that, a few days ago, I finally got my clutches on that special (to me) ukulele. It is still in “as new” condition, and still has the sound (tone, timbre, voice, or whatever it is called) that appealed to me all those years previously. In that time it has gained a nick-name. My friend's granddaughter called it the “Toffee Crisp”.

This uke is nothing special, if you only consider its specification and price range, but I formed an emotional attachment. It took a long time, but it is finally mine.

I know - no photo means it didn't happen. I'll try to get a good shot of "Toffee Crisp" later today, and add it to the thread.

Here are a couple of shots of "Toffee Crisp" - a sweet treat!Ohana SK-50 MG - Toffee Crisp - back.jpgOhana SK-50 MG - Toffee Crisp - front.jpg

Back and sides are instrument grade ply, with figured mahogany surface; front is solid cedar; pseudo 'rope' binding.

John Colter.

Last edited:
Yes! That's the model. I haven't seen them for sale in the UK for some time. Very nice uke!

Congratulations on finding each other again. Some instruments just speak to us and you can't get them out of your head. It's a lovely looking ukulele and the sound obviously pleases you, well done, enjoy it.

According to the Harry Potter books, the wand chooses the wizard. I believe this happens with ukuleles, too. Congratulations on being reunited, and wishing you many years of making beautiful music together.

Great storey. Glad it worked out. You are very patient and obviously this Uke had an impression on you. I’m a big believer in people finding that instrument that speaks to them. Good for you.

Top Bottom