Kamaka Availability

pebbleInDaPacific

Reaction score
Curious Question for all the locals in Hawaii? Is it really difficult to get a new Kamaka at the authorized retailers there in the islands? I've seen and heard around that not only is it difficult to get them in other states nationwide, but also in Hawaii. Here in Washington though, the dealer I go to just received 4 new tenors, 4 Concerts, a six string and an eight string. Also, Does Kamaka usually sell their ukulele's with cases included? or Do they usually charge additionally for cases. I've already got a Soprano, and just got a concert. Bought both and still paid for the cases, which fit them like a glove. Does anyone know what kind of cases these are? They have no label and wondered if they are supposed to come with cases or are they really extra for them. Thanks for any replies. :shaka:

not sure about getting the case with the uke, but when i went to Tangi out in Oahu, he gave you a free gig bag and asked if you wanted a hard case.

now since Kamakas are one of the best ukuleles, my guess would be they recommend a case with it.

I emailed Kamaka in March regarding a tenor. Packing is $8.00 shipping to the mainland is $30.00 and a tenor hard case is $60.00 additional, and one year warranty.

I JUST came from a local Kamaka dealer Coconut Grove Music in Kailua, and they had a nice variety of Kamakas as well as KoAloha, and Honu. I don't believe any came with a case.

I just got back from Honolulu, and say plenty of Kamakas at the local retailers. I think most of the Honolulu retailers will throw in a case to seal a deal so to speak. I have two Kamakas both purchased a "Bob's Ukulele" at the Mariott in Waikiki.

The Kamaka shortage seems like a sort of overplayed marketing play to me. If you're willing to pay MSRP, you will have no problem finding a Kamaka to purchase. And even if you're looking for a 15% discount, you won't have to look far.

As for the case, I'm not sure, but I suspect that they are additional at the factory, since they seemed to be selling ProTecs for $90-130 extra depending on which model. And in all the stores that I have visited, cases do not come with most ukes. But I think that the Big Island Ukes did come with cases, and some like the Applause Tenor and BugsGear instruments tend to come with gig bags. But if there is no case, you can get a cardboard box though. :)

Curious Question for all the locals in Hawaii? Is it really difficult to get a new Kamaka at the authorized retailers there in the islands? I've seen and heard around that not only is it difficult to get them in other states nationwide, but also in Hawaii. Here in Washington though, the dealer I go to just received 4 new tenors, 4 Concerts, a six string and an eight string. Also, Does Kamaka usually sell their ukulele's with cases included? or Do they usually charge additionally for cases. I've already got a Soprano, and just got a concert. Bought both and still paid for the cases, which fit them like a glove. Does anyone know what kind of cases these are? They have no label and wondered if they are supposed to come with cases or are they really extra for them. Thanks for any replies. :shaka:

Hey I got a Kamaka at Christmas and know for a fact that if you buy one at the factory they don't come with a case. They sell Protec tenor cases for $99or thereabouts, I believe they sell a cheaper one at $50 too.

I ordered mine without a case, it was packed up really well so there's no need to worry about it getting damaged if you order it direct from Kamaka without a case.

I agree with experimentjon about the supply thing, I see them advertised all over the place. You can get them cheaper if you wait a bit longer but they are definitely available if you're willing to spend a bit more.

You will always find a Kamaka in the 808 . . . Seriously, the last time I was there, I walked into 3 different stores and found several of em at each place.

I was in Maui in February and one music shop, Lahaina Music, had like 12 Kamaka tenors. They all had cases that shipped with the uke from the factory. The shopkeeper told me at the time that many dealers were cancelling orders or decreasing orders due to the economy. Many of those tenors they had carried a August or September 2008 build date, so I'm guessing they weren't moving that quickly. Like others have said, I'm thinking there is no shortage of Kamaka ukuleles right now.

thanks for all the replies guys. I should have done my homework first, or double checked, because on the Kamaka website, they do say that the cases are additional, but It was a small box at the bottom of one of the pages, so I must've missed it since I visit that page from time to time. anyway, mahalos :shaka:

I was in Maui in February and one music shop, Lahaina Music, had like 12 Kamaka tenors. They all had cases that shipped with the uke from the factory. The shopkeeper told me at the time that many dealers were cancelling orders or decreasing orders due to the economy. Many of those tenors they had carried a August or September 2008 build date, so I'm guessing they weren't moving that quickly. Like others have said, I'm thinking there is no shortage of Kamaka ukuleles right now.

Oh man, the day I can walk into a store and play 12 Kamaka tenors back to back and choose the best one for myself...I don't think any of the music stores on Oahu have that many in stock. Man, maybe when I'm actually seriously in the market for a Kamaka Tenor, I'll do that. Hehe. Gibson Les Paul first.

Top Bottom