TC Electronic UniTune - great price!

etudes

Reaction score
I love TC Electronic tuners but have yet to try to the clip-on version. Sweetwater has them on sale for $29.99- free shipping. Most outlets sell for $49.99. I just ordered mine and will let you know how it works..

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UniTuneClip

Last edited:
That is a great tuner - I just bought one too. But it's different from the $49 version that everyone else sells. The $49 version is the Polytune, that will respond to all six guitar strings at once, while the $29 version is the new Unitune, that lacks the Poly feature. I own one of the Polytunes too, and both versions are the most precise tuners I have.

That is a great tuner - I just bought one too. But it's different from the $49 version that everyone else sells. The $49 version is the Polytune, that will respond to all six guitar strings at once, while the $29 version is the new Unitune, that lacks the Poly feature. I own one of the Polytunes too, and both versions are the most precise tuners I have.

Thanks for pointing that out.. I didn't realize that in my haste. The good news is the polytune feature while cool, wasn't something I use much (I have the stomp box version).

I also have a polytune clip, which has seen a lot of use in classrooms. The polytune feature is basically useless on a ukulele, and the price is quite high, so this 'unitune' one should be very good.

It's sturdy, has bright lights, the display automatically flips right-side up (so you could hang it on the backside), it's economical on its battery, has very few and countersunken knobs. It is able to handle a different calibration (changing from A=440Hz for playing along with 'odd' instruments) and one thing the manual doesn't mention is that it can work on vibrations (clip) as well as on sound (an internal microphone).

The Peterson strobe tuning system is a bit of an overkill on ukuleles, unless you really want to finetune a saddle. Also, some letters are a bit harder to decypher (B and Bb, and D, basically because they're represented as lower case letters), and the # symbol is a rather small dot; but once you know that it's a perfect little machine.

As said, I let students use mine in class from their first lesson, and contrary to other tuners this one holds up well and helps them a lot.

Top Bottom