PDA

View Full Version : What made you start playing Ukulele?

rayan
11-26-2007, 07:02 AM
Everyone has a story for why they picked up the ukulele. What was your moment that made you want to learn the instrument?

MistaPista
11-26-2007, 09:22 AM
What was your moment that made you want to learn the instrument?

aldrines "bandito tyler"! since that day i was falling in love with da uke :D

greetz!

bionicbear
11-26-2007, 11:34 AM
my sis went to hawaii and when she came back she had bought herself an ovation uke and for me she had gotten a Lankai uke. Ever since i strummed my first chord with it i fell in love with the sound and it is soo portable that you can take it with you anywhere unlike my guitar.

Terrell
11-26-2007, 11:59 AM
friend of mine got me listening to opihi pickers when i first moved to hawaii and loved da uke sound ever since.

Aldrine Guerrero
11-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Ka'au crater boys and Pure Heart were my inspiration to play the ukulele.

Plus... I have to be honest... I wanted to get good at the uke to gain attention back in high school hahaha. Now, it's a lot more personal and an outlet for any ideas and emotions I have at the moment. The uke has been my best friend since the first strum :D

anaka
11-26-2007, 08:21 PM
My older cousin really liked giving me hand-me-down stuff when I was young - I got his old Atari when he upgraded to Nintendo, and he gave me his old no-name-brand soprano when he got a solid koa uke. So I'm pretty sure I started because of that. The first song I figured out and learned to pick was Iz's intro to Take Me Home Country Road. Not very impressive, but I remember feeling really empowered for figuring out a real song. Still chasing that feeling ...

Landon
11-27-2007, 06:26 AM
During my 10th grade year i took a class at my high school. i took it because its a cruise class and i had these ukuleles that i had no clue how to play so i figured id give it a try. i learned the basics in that class and by the time the school year was over could play songs like "Put a little loving" and "You dont miss your water". i continued to play during my 11th grade year and alot of my friends are pretty good. they started teaching me songs like "Guava Jam", White sandy beach", etc. they also taught me how to read tabs and through the internet i started to learn on my own. sites like youtube and iamhawaii with videos also helped as i learned alot of those songs by ear or through lessons. now almost midway through my 12th grade year im the one teaching them the songs lol.

grappler
11-28-2007, 03:14 PM
i started playing the Ukulele when i looked up on Youtube and found Jake.
I thought it was a guitar!! Never knew what a ukulele was.
Now im in love with them.
Haven't had any lessons with guitar nor ukuleles, Self taught and hoping to learn more through this site!!

Cheers!

Beeb0s
11-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Wellllllllll, it all started back in high school (couple months ago) when I saw Aldrine's youtube vid for summer breeze. So I jetted to the stankin nearest guitar center and bought myself a 37$ uke (currently using). I'm still noob

Danyo Cummings
11-28-2007, 04:35 PM
My younger brother always played ukulele as far back as i can remember and oddly enough I was the only one in my family who didn't play some type of music. That all changed when i picked up the uke in 10th grade. It started off as a way to entertain my friends, i'd write funny songs to make them laugh but eventually i grew a genuine love for playing.

My first uke was a concert size Kamaka that belonged to my family. Everyone was surprised that i was playing and my brother saw it as a way to compete with his older brother. I learned the same way most of you did: constant watching, listening and imitating. Though many ukulele players found inspiration in ukulele-powered songs I found myself constantly incorporating my passion for R&B and Hip-Hop, something that i attribute my playing style to.

A year later, a teacher at my school who happened to be a musician gave me a Sonny D tenor as a gift and encouraged me to keep playing. It definitely kept me motivated and that ukulele would go on to help write dozens of songs. Sadly, it was stolen a few years ago but i'll never forget how much it changed it my life.

SingToMe
11-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Well, my choir director was like a second father to me. he and i were really close from my 7th grade year until my Junior year in High School. he passed away this summer and I was really upset about it. I was roaming around the internet when I stumbled upon Aldrine's Zelda stuff and then over to his "Simple Serenade" and then to iamhawaii.com and then MySpace. Sure enough, my mom bought me a uke and been novicing it up since July. Cant wait to get better.:)

Fred Miu
11-28-2007, 07:35 PM
a lot of my friends thought that it would be funny for me to go around with a ukulele at school and sing somewhere over the rainbow. of course i got more into it than just tipping my toes through the tulips. lol now im so far in that i dont want to stop learning.

plus i think, IMO, guitars are kinda over-rated. there needs to be more ukulele players out there.

tripl3thr33
11-28-2007, 08:05 PM
first time i've ever wanted to play the uke was after listening to the first album of pure heart. but it wasnt until my junior year in high school that i decided to buy my own (cheap $25) uke and start playing.

NukeDOC
11-29-2007, 07:32 AM
three plus. my little brother got his hands on their honey baby cd. and i listened to them for about three years. i had no idea about any other bands. so i didnt have much other influence. then i ran across jake's "while my ukulele weeps" rendition. and it blew me away that a four stringed instrument could sound like that. got an opportunity to visit a good friend of mine in oahu in aug2007. so while there we went to the flea market at aloha. and i made a promise to myself that if i was going to buy a uke that was of decent quality, i would put in the work to learn it as quick as possible. bought my uke based solely on how it sounded strummed with all the strings open, that it had a pickup, that it looked cool, and came with a hard case. three months later, i still cant put her down. played it so much that my strings are already starting to fray.

rayan
11-29-2007, 07:50 AM
I think it's awesome that so many people who live outside of Hawaii are picking up the ukulele. It really is an amazing instrument. Hopefully this site will help change the general publics perception.

deadeye
11-29-2007, 08:04 AM
i was approaching my 18th birthday and that summer iz's somewhere over the rainbow was HUGE in the uk. my favourite song, the soundtrack to my whole summer.

and at 18...i had bought my own car. i had everything i wanted. so i asked for a ukulele! that was a year and a half ago and ive been playing everyday ever since, learning off the internet and just crazy mild-OCD persistance.

im hopefully going to hawaii next year too! cant wait. :D

KAWIKA27
11-29-2007, 08:07 AM
It started my sophomore year of high school My Nana got me a tenor fluke ukulele for my B-day. I started on my own learning from web sites. I kept going becaus it seemd to come more easy to me than other things. I fell in love with it and have been playing ever since. :)

Ikiaika Ma MELE !!!!!!!!!!!!

brooksie5
11-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Jack Johnson and John Butler made me want to play the instrument. Love both of them and when i had some extra cash around i finally went out and got one. I am so glad i did.

Dino
11-30-2007, 09:00 AM
My earliest recollection of playing the uke was in the 6th grade. Since then, I had always been involed with music somehow from intemediate band (trombone), high school band, nightclub & mobile disc jockey, & "pretending" to sing falsetto (got into Frank B. Shaners contest 3 times, but never placed). What made me pickup the uke again was all due to co-worker friend of mine. He plays music with local groups and at various local clubs around town. All we would do is sit around and talk about music and his instruments. Since then I had aquired at least 7 ukes, but currently have 3.

Bigylittle
12-01-2007, 08:37 AM
I just got into high school and everyone was carrying ukes around. I didn't want to feel left out so I bought myself a ukulele. After getting used to my new instrument I quickly fell in love with it :)

CenizaT&K-01
12-01-2007, 12:34 PM
I just got into high school and everyone was carrying ukes around. I didn't want to feel left out so I bought myself a ukulele. After getting used to my new instrument I quickly fell in love with it :)

people carry around ukes at your highschool in carson??? that's awesome!!! i went to high school in the south bay and no one carried around ukes there, haha...i have always been in love with the sound of the ukulele, but i never had the guts to buy one...i always told myself that i was going to get one and never did. but finally, my sisters boyfriend bought me one for my birthday we got it at aloha stadium...i still have it...and i actually really like the sound of it, but i dont play it since i got it autographed by Jake. So later on i bought my Ceniza T&K and i take it everywhere with me. I love to play even though i am not good at it. Matter of fact as i sit here at work i have it with me...=)..my next one will be either a Kanile'a or a Kamaka Tenor...

seeso
12-21-2007, 10:02 PM
I just picked one up at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago and instantly fell in love with the sound.

unplaned
12-21-2007, 11:33 PM
I got my first Uke after my sis took me to see a band in Camden, The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britian. Next day I got a uke ..3 weeks later another.. :)

Iain
12-22-2007, 01:59 AM
Saw Seeso's videos, loved the sound so I bought one :D

seeso
12-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Saw Seeso's videos, loved the sound so I bought one :D

Ha! Score!

NukeDOC
12-24-2007, 09:09 PM
I got my first Uke after my sis took me to see a band in Camden, The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britian. Next day I got a uke ..3 weeks later another.. :)

i know how you feel. i got my first uke in august this year. i just got my fourth last week. thats one uke per month! haha

studentaccount1
12-24-2007, 10:26 PM
My pops.. and troy fernandez

UkuCouS
02-21-2008, 06:25 AM
I started to love Hawaiian music with, of course, IZ.
Then I saw Jake While my guitar gently weeps, and the wonderful Let's dance, and that was the Ukulele holy revelation.

ChiyoDad
02-21-2008, 06:50 AM
I was actually more into learning slack-key guitar (Keola Beamer and Ozzie Kotani). When I went to Hawaii years ago, my mother asked me to get her an ukulele. After doing a bit of research and listening to some good performers, I wound up getting one for myself too. :D

mossyoak
02-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Jake and Aldrine.

AdamTheHobo
02-21-2008, 09:58 AM
well i just got started playing and wat made me want to really play was jakes as my guitar gentley weeps cover

albertmunoz
02-21-2008, 11:39 AM
I started playing because I was simply getting frustrated with learning the guitar and the banjo... Im not a patient man, and I was just not progressing quickly enough... funny thing about that is now that I have been playing the uke for about a year I can play better banjo and guitar than I ever have...

In any case, I thought it was a lot easier to learn music theory through learning the Uke and I believe I have a much better grasp on it now than I ever have, regardless of how many guitar lessons I had.

Link
02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
I just got my first Uke 4 days ago. I was inspired to get it by Aldrine's Legend of Zelda and Mario theme videos. Little did I know I would be 4 days in and obsessed. I haven't really touched any of my guitars or my bass since I got my Uke.

Regster
03-06-2008, 10:43 AM
nobody plays instrument in my family so i figure id be the one to start but i played the guitar first like 2 months then i got frustrated with it so i bought the uke

experimentjon
03-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I wanted to play guitar, so I figured that I would learn a four-stringed instrument first. And we didn't have a guitar at home, but we had a pair of ukuleles, so I started trying to play the ukulele. And I found Aldrine's lessons on iamhawaii.com which helped me get started the right way. I didn't get very far though. Later when I bought my (electric) guitar, and realized that it was so large and unweildy since I needed an amp all the time, I went back to playing ukulele. And thats where I am now. I should probably play that guitar more though....

Esy
03-06-2008, 10:33 PM
i saw some jakes vid on you tube. few years away. Then I bought my first uke in last year ;]

Ukeguy510
03-06-2008, 11:34 PM
In the movie Shallow Hall, towards the end there is a scene where Li' Boy plays a cool tune on his uke (which got me thinking of buying one). My wife ended up buying me a uke while on our honeymoon in Hawaii. Naturally one of the first songs I learned to play was the tune from Shallow Hall.

rjshulamama
03-07-2008, 01:41 AM
What made me pick up the uke? Well I danced hula for over 10 years and just this last year my doctor said I can't dance for awhile or maybe ever again because of a heel problem that she said I can't be barefoot :mad:But with that said I was talking one day to the Nukedoc who said I should try playing a uke and maybe still be involved in my halau that way. I just picked up the uke last Wednesday, I still don't know how to play it very well but I am working on it. I'm not sure if I want to try to play for my halau either right now. I have a piano background and the uke is a whole different instrument. I also intend to try to play the guitar too, but I need to conquer this bad boy first. Well that's my story so far...to be continued :cool:

UKESTAR
03-07-2008, 03:47 AM
Used to go to Hawaii a lot as a kid. Always loved the sound of the uke. Just simply decided to go get myself one on a random weekend about 2 years ago.

Got home with it and thought...hmmm...I wonder if there are ANY youtube videos that show what this thing is capable of?

First video = some guy named Jake Shimabukuro sitting on a rock ledge in a park. You all know what video I am talking about.

Since that moment, I have been totally hooked:D and have become a huge Jake supporter and fan.

BrianB
03-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Jake's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Saw it about a year ago, haven't put my uke down since.

bof
03-07-2008, 05:11 AM
I started because I wanted to play an instrument again.. I restarted playing piano, after 5 years break, but I really wanted a string-instrument. So I looked for some, banjo couldn't be my choice as I totally dislike bluegrass and the banjo sound, guitar was way to common for me. I mean everyone plays guitar. Then there were some traditional instruments that interested me, but after I stumbled over Herb Ohta Jr., Carl Ray Villaverde and Jake, I just had to play the Ukulele. I mean you can play classic on it, you can play traditionals on it, you can play jazz on it, rock or just pop. It was just a cool instrument, the perfect thing I have been looking for.

nikolo727
03-07-2008, 05:35 AM
In the movie Shallow Hall, towards the end there is a scene where Li' Boy plays a cool tune on his uke (which got me thinking of buying one). My wife ended up buying me a uke while on our honeymoon in Hawaii. Naturally one of the first songs I learned to play was the tune from Shallow Hall.

That is actually the EXACT REASON I BOUGHT A UKE!

from that scene in that movie!

then i saw a rice crispie comercial with IZ's Somewhere over the rainbow/What a wonderful world.

then i called all the music shops in Pennsylvania.

got a (cough sucky cough) ukulele and then fell in love.

370 dollars later. new uke, new strings, peaceful mind, open heart, im here!

go UU

david98116
03-07-2008, 06:02 AM
I used to be the only one in Braddah Mark's garage who couldn't jam. Got tired of being asked to sing all the time. I picked it up....haven't put it down yet.

uber_goober
03-07-2008, 07:10 AM
I was traveling a bit for business a few years ago, and I wanted an instrument that I could take with me. And as I'm only any good with something with strings and frets, the ukulele seemed like a good choice. I still have that first beat up soprano I bought for travel, but now it has half a dozen other ukuleles to share my studio with. :)

k0konutz
03-07-2008, 07:55 AM
My new year's resolution was to pick up a new instrument. Some goons kept talking about how easy the learning curve on the ukulele is, and I checked out some YouTube videos and quickly got over the notion that the instrument is a toy, and bought myself a Kala concert from Musicguymic. I can't put it down.

Ame
03-31-2008, 02:05 PM
I saw Aldrine on Youtube playing a cover of Glamorous Sky (Nana had been my current obsession and after searching for covers of the song on Youtube I found his.) It amazed me how he could play the song on the uke. I literally didn't think you could play stuff like that on the uke. I then searched for uke stuff and saw Jake Shimabukuro who was insane O_O. Honestly I didn't know much, if not anything about the uke but after seeing them play, it made me want to learn. That was back in I guess 2006, and I was teaching myself guitar, so I pretty much stuck with that. But recently my bestfriend started going out with this guy (JosephBautista) who played the uke. He brought his uke to my bestfriend's house and it was the first I had ever even touched an uke. I went online and looked up some chords and started playing. It was soo much fun. I saw JP play and it was like wow. He made it look hella easy. So, I decided I needed to get one and seriously learn how to play as good as him. haha Mind you this was about a week or so ago. So, I bought my first uke on March 26 and it came in on the 28th. I've been learning a bunch of songs everyday and haven't really put it down except for when I have to go to school. Hours have been ridiculous lately...

but yea that's how I got into playing the uke. xP

JosephBautista
03-31-2008, 03:20 PM
I saw Aldrine on Youtube playing a cover of Glamorous Sky (Nana had been my current obsession and after searching for covers of the song on Youtube I found his.) It amazed me how he could play the song on the uke. I literally didn't think you could play stuff like that on the uke. I then searched for uke stuff and saw Jake Shimabukuro who was insane O_O. Honestly I didn't know much, if not anything about the uke but after seeing them play, it made me want to learn. That was back in I guess 2006, and I was teaching myself guitar, so I pretty much stuck with that. But recently my bestfriend started going out with this guy (JosephBautista) who played the uke. He brought his uke to my bestfriend's house and it was the first I had ever even touched an uke. I went online and looked up some chords and started playing. It was soo much fun. I saw JP play and it was like wow. He made it look hella easy. So, I decided I needed to get one and seriously learn how to play as good as him. haha Mind you this was about a week or so ago. So, I bought my first uke on March 26 and it came in on the 28th. I've been learning a bunch of songs everyday and haven't really put it down except for when I have to go to school. Hours have been ridiculous lately...

but yea that's how I got into playing the uke. xP

awwes thx ame becuz of meh? :3 hehe thank alan for hookin me up wit behbeh :D

Poi Dog
03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
First time I started ukulele was back in Intermediate School Dayz when we were required to learn ukulele for music appreciation - Waianae Intermediate Represent! LOL

Anyways, I kept playing for a few more years, but stopped when life started interfering - college, marriage, kids, career, money, etc. etc. (which actually should have made me get MORE into it yeah?)

About 20 years latah - I'm back into it! It was mainly a way for me to still keep some kinda of connection to home now that I'm living in Florida. Just like the song goes - "You can take da boy from the island, but not the island from the boy!" - Never Forget Where You're From - by Justin.

Johnnie B. aka Poi Dog
aka. HawaiianJohn

Ian Boys
03-31-2008, 04:11 PM
I owned a ukulele for about 9 years without knowing what it really was... I had wanted to play the guitar when I was four years old, and all my dad could find that was remotely my size at the time was a ukulele (at a garage sale). It became basically a decoration after a few months and remained that way until one day when I was 13 that I decided to figure out what the heck I owned... and I did... and I looked up some chords, learned to play some basic stuff, and have become obsessed with it (and my other ukuleles that I now own) ever since.

dajoka
03-31-2008, 04:17 PM
learned in 4th grade, den neva touch um fo long time. I decided fo get one cheapo johnson jus fo fool around wit, and den befo I knew it, it was too late. ha. i got sucked back into playing again, mo den eva.

ukusaurus
03-31-2008, 07:14 PM
learned in 4th grade, den neva touch um fo long time. I decided fo get one cheapo johnson jus fo fool around wit, and den befo I knew it, it was too late. ha. i got sucked back into playing again, mo den eva.

This entire post makes my brain hurt. Please type in a more reasonable fashion as it seems incredibly childish. You say you learned ukulele in the 4th grade? What about grammar?

jello
03-31-2008, 08:29 PM
basically... because of my boyfriend. (Ukulele_Junkie)

ha. at first I just thought it was one of his "phases" where he gets hooked to something for a short period of time & then eventually gets tired of it. but he's gotten to be really amazing on it & it made me think about it more. Oh, & plus we went to one of Jake's concerts together and that was really fun (:

but yeah. he left one of his ukuleles at my house... telling me to learn. but, I didn't really pick it up for a couple of months. now, i'm HOOKED on finding songs to learn (:

jh151399
03-31-2008, 08:48 PM
I was in the army with alot of guys from the islands, that was my first introduction to the ukulele.

My ex-fiance' visited the islands as a little girl and Iz's somewhere over the rainbow played while she was taking a helicopter tour, so that song meant alot to her. She put it on a "Welcome Home" cd for me, so it came to mean alot to me.

Finally, Seeso and Jaaaaa on YouTube. It was the first time I heard non-traditional music played on the instrument. I really liked the way the softness complimented the story of the songs.

I have been going to a local music store to "Shop"... (Practice, lol)... but when I finally get my rebate check I'll be getting a Lanakai spruce top concert. I really like the way the concert plays as opposed to the tenor... but the tenor has the throatier sound to it. So I dunno.

Poi Dog
03-31-2008, 11:17 PM
This entire post makes my brain hurt. Please type in a more reasonable fashion as it seems incredibly childish. You say you learned ukulele in the 4th grade? What about grammar?

http://www.besspress.com/client/Products/ProdimageLg/41X.jpg

menehunenyc
04-01-2008, 06:28 PM
I first played the uke in 3rd grade music class, probably lasted only a few weeks. But 30 years later I pick up my daughters Hilo soprano soon after learning that my wife had breast cancer. All I had was the three chords I learned in 3rd grade and a couple of Uke books from the '20s and 30s my mom had sent with the Hilo. I taught myself how to play those corny folk tunes (Old Black Joe, etc), a few hapa hawaiian songs from one of Johnny Noble's song books. I can't begin to express the sublime feelings of consolement I got from playing that little uke. I took it everywhere. If I had to walk the dogs to the park, pick up my daughter from school, wait in the car until my class started, I'd have it with me to play. I didn't play for anyone but myself for years. Eventually I had the confidence to play with friends of mine who were excellent musicians, although they weren't uke players...And the rest is history. I outgrew my daughters Hilo, I looked around for a tenor, got myself a kamaka koa, and now my strumming style is slowly embracing more picking. I am indebted to the uke for pulling me through my wife's illness (she is 5 years cancer free), allowing me to be there for her and my kids in a positive way. Thats my story, and I sticking to it...

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Come to think of it.. I know that when i first saw a ukulele on youtube it was jakes while my guitar gently weeps - then it was gutings waiting in vain.

So guting influenced me a lot :D

h-drix
04-02-2008, 10:03 AM
saw seeso's video, and ive always liked iz's versions of over the rainbow and what a wonderful world. it was either bagpipes or a uke. the uke was cheaper so i picked one up.

the first songs i learned to play (and still play) are folk punk songs, like against me!; defiance, Ohio; and etc.

berylbite
04-02-2008, 11:52 AM
One summer day I was driving around with friends and I mentioned how hilarious it would be if I played an ukulele.
The next day I bought one for 30 bucks and played the hell out of it. Then I bought myself a nice concert bushman.

titoboy5
04-02-2008, 12:37 PM
4th grade mrs.kawamata class was da first time .

russ_buss
04-02-2008, 12:55 PM
read an article in the sunday paper about the history of the ukulele and a resurgence of it's popularity. thought since i played the guitar, i would hop on the bandwagon. glad i did!

tribal_theory1
04-02-2008, 12:56 PM
i used to do polynesian dancing back in high school. we used to hang out after shows and have bonfires in my instructor's backyard. used to just listen to them jam and drink. then i started trying to sing with them. then i decided to pick up an uke because it looked easy. now, here i am, lead uke of my band tribal theory.

buzzy
04-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Grew up in Hawaii and everybody could sing or play an instrument in my family, but I never took it seriously. I miss Hawaii and the good times way-back-when. Seems like playing ukulele brings it all back for a little while, especially as I learn more. (Wish I had the old Kamaka my grandma gave me when I was a boy!)

salukulady
04-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Growing up my mom had an old baritone (it's still in the family) that we all played with. My sibs all played guitar but it never clicked with me no matter how much I tried. I'm a Parrothead and when Jake toured with Jimmy I was awed....bought my first uke in January 2008....now I have 5. I never put the thing down. My kids have even picked it up.

14twelve
04-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I saw a Jake video on YouTube a couple of weeks ago which got me interested enough to look further, but it was when I found Aldrine's YouTube channel, and lessons on I Am Hawaii that made me think I could actually learn to play it. And then I discovered UU and haven't turned back :) Am working my way through Aldrine's lessons - am up to no 4 on I Am Hawaii at the moment.

I got my first Uke two weeks ago (it's a Greg Bennett UK70). Doesn't sound too good with the current strings, but I have a set of Aquilas on the way. And tomorrow I should receive a Flea in the mail set up with Aquila strings! Very excited about that - it's going to keep me going until our trip to Hawaii in September where I can try them out (there's very little here in Australia to try,well, in Brisbane anyway).

acabooe
04-02-2008, 03:47 PM
My wife was born and raised in Hawai'i, she introduced me to local kine muzik, like braddah IZ, and Jake.
She got me a braddah Iz cd for my b day 2 years ago, and I said right then, " I gotta learn Ukulele."
Then she bought me my First and second Ukulele, and now I am making my third.
I went from knowing nothing about this wonderful instrument, to a Luthier-in-training.
Thanks Joan, I love you.

Acabo'oe:cool:

brokenwing
04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
YouTube showed me how versatile a uke could be. Keonepax, Aldrine, Seeso, Punk44, heftone and dozens of other players really inspired me to pick it up. I come from the guitar side so the learning curve isn't quite as steep for me as someone coming in cold.

Picked up a Pono Tenor about a month ago and love it. Sure would love a Koaloha or Kamaka Concert:D

redsedge
04-03-2008, 10:22 PM
I wanted to join in with my brother and his family, playing americana stuff. My neice has a Favilla uke and my son got a Mahola as a secret Santa (he thinks it's a joke but still won't give it over). I got serious envy and decided to get one for myself.

la_ingrit
04-04-2008, 04:59 AM

Well I saw the movie -shallow hall- and as Ukeguy510 i saw li' boy...and i though oh my god what a beautiful sound!!!!!!!!!!!....but i live in Mexico and nobody sells uke's...this year a friend of mine told me ...guess what I have a ukulele....and i was likee whyyyyyyy??? i want onee tooo...but he lives in san diego...so there's no problem find a uke...!....so i really really really made almost the impossible...i buy a p.o. box suite at hidalgo texas, and then i started to find a uke...it was like a mess...but finally i got my uke and i play everynight!!! but im a beginner so I still learning!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

dnewton2
04-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Growing up my mom had an old baritone (it's still in the family) that we all played with. My sibs all played guitar but it never clicked with me no matter how much I tried. I'm a Parrothead and when Jake toured with Jimmy I was awed....bought my first uke in January 2008....now I have 5. I never put the thing down. My kids have even picked it up.

Wow you have bought 5 ukes since January! You have a serious case of UAS

Kira
04-04-2008, 08:50 AM
I´ve picket up my ukulele only a week ago...
i have seen for few weeks Jake on youtube and i have thinking... wow...
and now the last days ive found Aldrine Guererro so i have buy me a Sopran with 12 frets... and now i want to buy me a concert ukulele i think :P

UkuleleHill
04-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Bought one cause I was doing a theme table for a staff hop at a camp I go to. Bought it for 12 bucks as a decoration. Got stuck on nights at work and had alot of night by myself. Decided to take the decoration I bought to work so I had something to do when calls wern't coming in... Figured out it was actually a nice insturment for only 12 bucks and started playing more and more and finally decided I needed a different size so my hand could fit the fretboard and my parents bought me a Lanakai Concert. Got it and fell in love with its sound. I have played guitar a long time but the Uke is a much more versitile insturment that I hardly pickup my guitar anymore...

tad
04-04-2008, 10:42 PM
When I was in high school, I wanted to play guitar. But my fingers are kinda tiny and sausage-like... I've got what they call "carney hands"... So I kinda gave up on it.

I got really into the Magnetic Fields a few years ago, and Stephen Merritt plays the uke. It got me thinking about getting one.

Then maybe a year ago or so, I saw a friend of mine who lives pretty far away now-- she'd thought about getting a ukulele before, too, and her husband went out and got her one.

Finally, the straw that broke the camel's back was that I got a little unexpected cash-- about a hundred bucks-- this December. I went on ebay and turned that into my first ukulele. I just bought my third. It's a sickness, I tell you.

dakine2009
04-05-2008, 12:03 AM
ukulele class in elementary school...
i've been playing ever since.

michaelphipps
04-05-2008, 12:42 AM
I got my first ukulele when I was about 6 or so, but my parents spent the whole time telling me not to touch it because I would break it. I've only realised just recently that the ukulele belonged to a bloke that went by the name of "Uncle Stanley" and he was actually a bit of a radio legend here in Brisbane Australia.

Anyway - years went by, and I didn't really give the Uke another thought until about 6 months ago. I just wanted to muck around with one. My mum turned up on the door step with a cheap one she bought from a pawn shop.

I started looking up chords, and typed in Ukulele into Youtube, which brought up Jake Shimabukuro, and that's when I realised the real potential of the instrument. I spent a lot of time searching youtube for more videos of people playing ukulele well, and found Aldrine. I don't even recall how I got to Ukulele Underground from there.

I also bought what I thought was a decent Uke... A Mahalo... erh, if only I knew what I know now I would have put off my purchase, but at least I have a slightly better instrument to practice on while I save up for a real Uke.

Now I drive my wife insane playing my ukulele all the time :) I'm hooked now!

Howlin Hobbit
04-06-2008, 01:27 PM
This topic comes up so often on so many boards that I decided a while back just to post a blog entry (http://howlinhobbit.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=247&t=staticpage_template.html) about it instead of re-typing it all the time.

Plainsong
04-06-2008, 03:45 PM
I'd always wanted to play guitar. I just never got the chance for one reason or another. I came from single-note wind instruments, starting with clarinet, alto clarinet, alto sax, baroque recorder, before moving to brass, and then on to singing.

So what I lost there was the ability to think in chords past anything required by music theory. I noticed this problem when talking with my boyfriend (now husband). I noticed when I'd talk about D, he'd be thinking DF#A, and I still had to visualize it. He was from a jazz family where you have to know this stuff and play something. I was from classical training where improv is a dirty word. Guitar and piano type instruments are liberating that way.

So I finally got a Fender, and it kicked my butt in a way that wasn't fun. I didn't have the instant success I was used to, and it just wasn't fun. I don't mind difficult, but it should be fun!

I kind of gave up on that, until a few months ago, a favorite watch brand called Bathys, out of Hawaii, put an opening flash on their website, playing Jammin' on a uke. That was the sound I wanted. That's what attracted me at first, the sound. I researched it a bit and thought "Hey, four strings, and a small neck easier to travel on." I was sold.

I decided I wanted something traditional at first, so I went with the Koaloha soprano, and it was sweet but too small when I compared it to the Risa concert stick.... even if comparing the action, there was just no contest.

Now the uke does kick my butt a little bit... like hitting a bar chord is a bit of a celebration, but I can do it eventually, and it is fun to do. The uke is the total package for me, and I hope I can improve on it. :)

DigableKid
06-24-2008, 07:26 PM
I started playing because I wanted to learn how to play an instrument that no one really played. The guitar was out of the question because everyone plays he guitar. The uke was personable to me...it just felt right.

salukulady
06-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Wow you have bought 5 ukes since January! You have a serious case of UASUpdate....6 and counting......

no_surf_today
06-25-2008, 03:50 AM
A Jack Johnson song. "Breakdown" I think, and IZ's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Songs like those where the Uke sings simple and sweet while the vocal tells a story.

mic
06-25-2008, 05:45 AM
my grandpa gave me one, when i was like 6 or so...my dad had a chord book and i played around off and on. then picked it up again at about 21 and have stayed busy strummin my basic chords :rolleyes:

'ukeWillis
06-25-2008, 08:25 AM
I heard Bruddah Iz's "Somewhere over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" on the radio a while ago and I fell in love with the sound.
I've heard of the ukulele, but it never really interested me until then.
So I did work for my dad for a couple weeks, and saved up 50 bucks for a soprano. (Everyone else has a larger one, but I love mine all the same.)
I've been playing it day and night for a couple days, and I even named it.
I hope I can get better at it.

FHS-72
06-25-2008, 08:37 AM
started in hawaiiana class in grade school for may day. just learned by watching friends just fooling around. then my uke got stolen in 1972 and i got so mad, never played again till maybe two yrs ago when kanaka916 and dhkane talked me me into it again. i'm glad they did.:bowdown::music::rock:

salukulady
06-25-2008, 09:16 AM
my grandpa gave me one, when i was like 6 or so...my dad had a chord book and i played around off and on. then picked it up again at about 21 and have stayed busy strummin my basic chords :rolleyes:Welcome back....where are you in so cal?

hawaiianmusiclover06
06-25-2008, 10:23 AM
The thing that made me start playing the 'ukulele is because I wanted to play an instrument that was easy to carry around and was affordable. I took piano lessons but that did not do me justice. I love the sound that the 'ukulele makes and I started taking lessons in learning how to play this fine instrument this month (June 2008). Looking forward to buying myself an 'ukulele this weekend.

Plainsong
06-25-2008, 10:40 AM
This weekend? I bet you can't wait! Do you know what models you'll be looking at? The anticipation you're feeling must be killer!

FHS-72
06-25-2008, 01:26 PM
glad to be back. i'm in sac.

Merit
07-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Three things got me starting to play 'ukulele:
1) Julia Nunes (specifically her cover of "Accidentally in Love")
2) I mostly play upright bass, and I figured since I play the biggest possible instrument...
3) I had a guitar I could trade in for the exact amount of my Pono PCO Concert Satin with the hard case

... but mostly, for the chicks. :rock:

UkuleleBlake
07-01-2008, 11:13 PM
I was at the Swap Meet and I saw a man with a beard playing what I thought was a tiny guitar. Being a musician (guitar, drums, piano, vocals, bass) (now ukulele) I had to go over. He let me try it out and even though it was severely out of tune, I had to pick it up for $70. I was saving that money for a new acoustic, but, I'm definentlly glad I chose the uke.

deach
07-02-2008, 01:37 AM

Most honest reason yet!!!

Howlin Hobbit
07-02-2008, 07:03 AM

Most honest reason yet!!!

And so true!

D.C.
07-02-2008, 05:45 PM
i got sick of dealing with lugging a guitar everywhere. sometimes even a travel size guitar is just too big. i walked into a shop that had a real nice koa model soprano hanging on the wall and it made me think about paul mccartney and george harrison dragging their ukes around, because they were small enough to easily go everywhere. i bought it on the spot and i've traveled with one ever since.

skacrazy
04-09-2009, 10:11 AM
My girlfriend was in choir and the choir director was starting a ukulele ensemble. Over a year later i have five ukes and my girlfriend can't get me to stop playing ukulele.

-Skacrazy

bornagainjeeper
04-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Julia nunes...and Yourpheonix... i figured...people are hot when they play ukulele so if i played ukulele i'd be hot too...

then I saw seeso, grumpy coyote, and krabbers and stuck with it anyway...

Raygf
04-09-2009, 10:56 AM
A 65 year old retired fire fighter who studied guitar with me brought back an ukulele from Hawaii and asked if I could teach him how to play. I told him he was a bad influence on me because I didn't own one. Almost 3 years later I own 7 and there are 25 in my music classroom at school. I'm enjoying reading all the stories.
Thanks,
Ray :D

snowcooley
04-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I got really into the Magnetic Fields a few years ago, and Stephen Merritt plays the uke. It got me thinking about getting one.

YESSSS!!! Stephin Merritt is probably the main reason I decided to pick it up, too! Seemed like a fun, interesting, novelty instrument at the time, sort of related to my total infatuation with the Magnetic Fields. But now that I've seen what ELSE it can do, I am smitten for life.

Joe H
04-09-2009, 11:40 AM
I saw Gus and Fin playing Sheena is a Punk Rocker on Youtube, and thought that it looked like a lot of fun.

MisoHappy
04-09-2009, 01:46 PM
The big "Roy Sakuma's" sign....

freedive135
04-09-2009, 04:34 PM
There was no "Big" break thru moment for me...

I was in a music store lookin at some Conga Drums wanting to to get a set to expand from the Bongo's and while I was waiting to talk to a sales person I saw a Ukulele hanging on the wall and started messin around with it when the sales guy asked me if I played when I told him no he showed me a couple chords...

The Congas never came home and I now have 8 Uke's.....that reminds me I need to dust my bongos....

There are alot of names in this post that I never see here... wonder where they are.....

deach
04-09-2009, 04:36 PM

There are alot of names in this post that I never see here... wonder where they are.....

playing instead of posting.

RyRod
04-09-2009, 04:44 PM
The familia took a trip to Hawaii in 06 and shortly after i started looking up all these musicians from the islands. I liked the sound and all that good stuff and 3 months ago i bought my first uke and haven't put it down since.

psesinkclee
04-09-2009, 05:03 PM
I've always been a fan of playing instruments that the regular joe doesn't know how to play. I used to play harmonica when my friends were playing the recorder in grammar school, and in highschool when my friends were all playing guitar I played upright bass and mandolin.

Then one day I was walking around The Center (guitar center, that is), and I was in the acoustic room playing aorund on some banjos and applause mandolins, and I saw a cheap little Hilo Soprano on the wall. It was a little knocked around as a floor model, and was reduced to 40$, so I bought it on impulse. Since then, I haven't gone one day without picking up a ukulele. ;)

Ahnko Honu
04-09-2009, 05:32 PM
SHEESH I thought I answered this one, and I did... on another forum. :rolleyes:

Aloha, I think I was conceived while listening to ukulele this instrument being a part of our family since before I was born almost 50 years ago. Just moved back here to my home town of Kailua after 12 years on Maui after my parents passed away to take care of estate matters, miss them allot especially my dad who was the ukulele player (pineapple Kamaka) and turned me on to music. I have been playing ukulele off and on for probably over 40 years. My dad was a very talented ukulele player always having his Koa Kamaka pineapple ukulele close at hand to strum a tune spontaneously at short notice. He played every Friday at our pau hana Aloha Friday parties. He instilled this love of music in all 6 of his kids though not all continue at it.
Mahalo nui Dad, I miss you allot. :(

tuscadero
04-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Last year sucked.

No, really, that's the reason why I started playing the ukulele.

I lost my job. My son broke his leg. The next company I worked for went under. And my father died after a hard, fast battle with cancer.

After the first layoff, I was picking up guitar strings for my son and saw a baritone, it was only $40 (Hilo brand). I saw Paul McCartney a few years ago, and he played "Something" on a uke and talked about George's love of the instrument. I totally dug it, then. So, on a whim, I bought my first uke.

I discovered that learning to play was one of the few things that turned off my head. I am a visual artist, I have little-to-no musical talent. Learning to play my ukulele was so foreign to my brain that I could not concentrate on playing and thinking about all the suck at the same time.

Learning ukulele kept me relatively sane.

Ironically, that McCartney concert was my gift to my Dad for his 60th birthday. So, I will always have a bittersweet connection between the joy of my ukulele and my love and memories of my Dad.

ksquine
04-10-2009, 07:41 AM
I built a uke so I guess I gotta learn to play it
Actually...I like folk type instruments and its a great hobby to build and learn them

josuegroundhog
04-10-2009, 08:17 AM
My daughter was 3 at the time and constantly trying to play my guitar but she was too small. I tried a smaller acoustic and mandolin for her but she wasn't interested in them. I then ordered up a Lanikai soprano from musiciansfriend.com with no real knowledge of ukulele at all. It arrived as I was leaving town for a few days so I threw it in the car and took it with me. I started plinking around and about 2 hours later I was hooked.

I came home and ordered myself one. Now we jam together.

ebrian
04-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Pasted from another thread:

"I wanted to post my story on what convinced me to get a ukulele. Kind of a feel-good thing:

I'd been thinking about buying a ukulele for a while but never bit the bullet and got one until my trip to Kauai. I was shopping in a small trinket store across from my hotel and I inquired about the ukuleles that were hanging on the wall. The shop keeper suddenly lit up and started telling me all about them. She grabbed two down, handed me one and started playing and singing a song! And encouraged me to just strum along with her!...I was blown away, and couldn't stop smiling the whole time she played and I tried to follow. It was kind of an enchanting experience. Needless to say I was totally sold.

After making my purchase she held onto my receipt and made me promise that when I returned to the island I have to play her a song. I whole-heartedly agreed... Thinking back, it's one of my favorite memories of the trip. And now, I'm practicing like crazy in case I get the chance to return and play her a song!"

Jimmy
04-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Saw a Mahalo Flying V in a shop (Which is the worst fully-playable ukulele you could possibly buy) and got it for my birthday on the 17th of October 2007. Fell in love with it and got some more ukes. Now it's my "thing".

Now I'm part of the Irish Ukulele Club and have started a ukulele ensemble in school, and I still adore it.

uke5417
04-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Saw her in a shop window. She just gave me that look, (insert series of inappropriate metaphors here) and we've been together ever since...

(OK, so I've stepped out on her a few times when a good deal on a trashy uke came along, and I've been caught slinking around YouTube with a few hottie sopranos from time to time. Still, she'll always be my main squeeze.)

lacerveza
04-10-2009, 01:17 PM
i was a guitarist (i say WAS cos i aint picked up any of my guitars since i got a uke apart from 1 or 2 times and it felt weird when i did and thats something for me cos i usually play a few hours a day) and i stumbled upon jake shimabukuro (sorry if i spelt his name wrong) and thought "i'm gonna play that".......can't yet.but now when i go for jams with mates i take my uke instead. now my brother and two of our mates have both bought ukes

EDIT sorry i just read that back and it was absolute gabble,but you are free to try and decipher it if you want

Yopparai
04-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Maybe its age, or maybe its because I was so young, but I honest cannot remember a time before I could play chords on a ukulele. Everyone in my family played and sang. The house was full of guitar, ukulele, autoharp, piano, sax, clarinet, french horn tuba, bassoon... you name it and someone had played it. So I started very early with a soprano. As I got older I turned to guitar and then banjo. Somewhere along the way the ukulele disappeared.

Now.. As to what brought me back.. I am always looking for ways to get my kids into music. I had bought a cheap baritone for one of the kids, and showed him Jake's "gently weeps" video. It fired him up for a few days, but stuck with me longer. I got my daughter a $20 soprano at a local music store for Christmas. She didn't play much and it sat in her room until I saw..

Marcy Marxer's youtube tutorial video on playing "12th Street Rag." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhF1l8VCi34) I said to myself, "Hey, thats not too hard." and hopped up to find the girlie's uke. That did it. I was hooked.

What really set the hook, I think, was grumpycoyotetune's Bring the Song Challenge. That and RussBuss' videos and collaborations.

lacerveza
04-10-2009, 02:06 PM
i was born 2 centimetres high and only grew to 3, you may know me from the film small soldiers,i always knew i was musical,but could never find the right instrument, untill i saw the superdupertiny ukulele. i bought it of mgm and i've never looked since.(sorry)

Link
04-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Saw her in a shop window. She just gave me that look, (insert series of inappropriate metaphors here) and we've been together ever since...

(OK, so I've stepped out on her a few times when a good deal on a trashy uke came along, and I've been caught slinking around YouTube with a few hottie sopranos from time to time. Still, she'll always be my main squeeze.)

Hahahahaha!

smgold101
04-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Well you see it started for me a long long time ago, in this galaxy though nothing that far away. Well you see I had been working day time as a History teacher but by nightfall I was a Whip crackin Pistol Whippin Archaeologist. Well one day I had woken up from a voice. He said Wake up Seth, come closer come closer, once I finally reached the voice It was just my friend Frank dressed up in a dumb rabbit costume. But it wasnt no ordinary rabbit, it was the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on! Well long story short my Buddy frank was like Whoa Dude I found this super cool phone booth that can travel time! So me and Frank in that dumb rabbit costume got into the time machine and went to ancient Greece once there we met this pretty cool dude by the name of Socrates pronounced So-Crates. Well we decided to Philosophize him with the best Philosophy known to man, "All we are is Dust in the Wind." Well this Socrates guy was so taken back on how intelligent me and Frank were he decided we were the Ones whatever that meant. He gave us each a choice, After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. Well i was skeptical but Frank was like dude i already bought this Rabbit costume lets just go for the rabbit hole thing. So we did...that single choice is a direct link to my being here now. Once the pill was taken we were told that this time period was not the ones for us we needed to travel even farther back in time, to the time of the ancient Egyptians to free all the Hebrews from slavery, BUT only one of us would make it through the portal only the worthy one. Well, knowing the fact that doing this task only gave both of us a 50/50 chance at living. We decided the task was to important to not take the chance. So we said PEACE to Socrates jumped in the Phone booth and put to to the time of The ancient Egyptians. Once there I noticed i was still alive i knew Frank must have been dead, although i gotta say he could still be alive cuase it was only me in that phone booth he coulda been blasted to another world or something idk, all i know is i was alive with some nasty redish slime all over me and cloth that looked like it came from some weird mouse costume idk. Anyways! There I was ancient Egypt, I knew what my task was and didnt think it would be easy. But luckily the Pharaoh there who kept all the Hebrews slaves for like 400 years actually turned out to be a cool dude. Ya apparently he just didnt know they didnt like being slaves and let me just take them away...So there i was, leading thousands of people to the promise land when suddenly I was being called. I couldnt tell from where at first but then realized...its coming from that Mountain over there. So I scaled the mountain and reached the top. There I found a Bush on fire but not burning! It spoke to me and Said...Seth this is God speaking to you! I need you to learn a mighty instrument they call the Ukulele! I said Oh why oh so powerful one. And he said psh you questioning god?!? Well I Used my best Judgment and decided not to piss god off any more and decided to do as he said and learn this mighty instrument called they ukulele. I dont know the purpose of me doing so yet...but im sure i will find it sooner or later.

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-10-2009, 09:45 PM
^ i think thts the most writing i have ever seen :D

Spooner
04-10-2009, 11:49 PM
I went to Hawaii a few years back.
Getting an ukulele was on my top 5 of things to do while there.
I never had been to HI previously. I spent most of my time on Oahu.
2 days into my trip Jake was doing a cd release party at Don Quixote's.
It was an extra added bonus that Bruce Shimabukuro was playing as well!

Well, I headed on over and recorded the show for my internet radio station.
I spoke with Bruce about where to get a good uke. He ran down a few names and told me that Good Guys was probably my best bet...and he was absolutely right!
It also happens that it was the last place I was able to go just hours before I had to fly back to the mainland.
Not knowing a great deal about ukes, I was shocked by the price of them!
I visited a number of stores all over Oahu from all sides of the island.
I wanted a Kamaka but when I saw the price...I had to pass lol.
I saw some Pono's but they too were pricey...at least I thought at the time.

I wounded up getting a Kala Tenor Spruce top cutaway with shadow pickup at Good Guys Music for $150.00 with case, extra set of strings and a tuner!
What a deal!

Well, I have been a musician for about 25 years now and once I got home and played my uke...I never picked up another instrument!
I have been strumming away 0n my Kala ever since. I'll also say that I think Kalas are WAY underestimated.

Recently I purchased a custom Pineapple Sunday am LOVING this thing!
I lowered the action on it a bit and the team at KoAloha has been incredibly helpful and generous...thanks Brian and Pops!!!

So what "made" me play the uke...I would have to say the Tiki Gods. :shaka:

I never planned on becoming a uke player..just wanted to play it here and there.
The uke has captured my soul and I am officially an ukulele man now.
(I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing lol).

GREAT topic!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnnaUK
04-11-2009, 02:28 AM
I saw a uke in a music shop window I think, then looked on YouTube and saw what some really talented people were doing, then found UU and it all began from there.
I wouldn't have got into it so much if I hadn't wandered onto here one day so THANK YOU to all :)
Anna

bt93
04-11-2009, 04:22 AM
the video of the guy playing the kazookeylele

Toucan Mango
04-11-2009, 04:49 AM
As a hobby I sell wood carvings on ebay, one day I got a notice from ebay that basically stated people with a good rep will get their listings placed ahead of others. So any way I was searching one of my own items (pineapple) and I came across a pineapple ukulele for $79.00 & thought it would be cool in my tiki bar, checked the sellers feedback (MGM) pulled the trigger & bought it..Later on I was checking out the uke listing again & realized I bought an actual instrument that can be played, and here I am hooked for life.. :shaka:

haole
04-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Started off by making noise with my grandfather's baritone uke. Didn't take it that seriously, but loved it because I could apply my limited guitar skillz and make it sound halfway decent. Still thought of it as a little guitar and probably a toy.

On a trip to Kaua'i a few years ago, I regretted not bringing a guitar with me. So I went into Bounty Music to find something small and cheap that I could play on the beach. Why I walked out with a Kamaka soprano I'm still not sure, but I don't regret it in the slightest (even though it was a month's pay!). Can't put it down now!
After discovering UU, I realized how sweet my old baritone uke is, too.

rastadan
04-30-2009, 05:54 PM
i jus picked it up because ive always loved the islands and the music that has originated from them.. like hawaii:shaka:

kissing
04-30-2009, 06:51 PM
I have always noticed Ukes throughout life. It popped up in movies, etc.

But... Jake is what did it for me. After watching his famous Uke Gently Weeps video, I HAD to get one!

infamiz
04-30-2009, 07:00 PM
yeah jake mos def inspired me.
and that my neighbor had a few and would let me borrow one.

Myala509
04-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Brudah IZ. ALways wanted to play a guitar. Never liked actually playin it though. Then I picked up a Uke to learn a song that I had promised to play at someones funeral. Haha I told her back in High School Id play it for her cus her name was in the begining. WHen he goes this one is for gabby.

So I picked it up to learn the song and put it on youtube cus I she left the country. But I really like the uke I got and I am learning new songs. So I got it for one purpose but I cant put the sucker down. I suck but I cant stop playing it.

samtay6
05-01-2009, 10:19 AM
I picked up the Ukulele after my awesome girlfriend got me a great Kamoa as a gift during her trip to Hawaii. I immediately knew I wanted to learn some, but I quickly realized that the 4 strings on the Uke seemed more natural for my 4 fingers than the 6 of the guitar. I had been struggling with the guitar for about 3 years, and I found the Ukulele to just come naturally. I've been playing every day since.

On a side note, I actually discovered this site while looking for info about the Kamoa. I lucked out.

ladymokulele
05-07-2009, 11:12 AM
When I was 15 I decided to be rebellious and tell my parents I was sleeping over somebody's house when I was actually going to a show in Oakland, California. I ended up staying at somebody's house that I knew but didn't know anybody else that lived in the house but everybody was playing instruments and singing along together. I heard somebody play "pineapple princess" on the ukulele and I thought it was so adorable, she told me to get a jumpin jim's book and go from there. I saved up 100 dollars working and asked if I bought the ukulele if I could get a book to go along with it and from than on I have been playing and loving it!

MattHaaaaa
05-07-2009, 11:13 AM
my school...
we have a ukulele orchestra of about 15 :shaka::music:

SalsaShark
05-07-2009, 01:10 PM
During this past winter, I was really down. I have seasonal affective disorder, and just find it near impossible to function during the colder and darker months. I really love music and have constantly tried to play many instruments with little-to-no-success, so I was surprised when my girlfriend ended up buying me a ukulele for Christmas. It was totally out of the blue, but gave me something to focus on and have fun with, and now I'm absolutely in love!

TheTy
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I was leaving the gym at UH one day and as I was walking to the other side of campus, a guy was walkin next to me playing his Uke. I had been really stressed out and sick and just all around depressed, but listening to him play for a few minutes brightened up my day which made my week better and helped me solve all those problems i had been having.

I started to learn so I could be that guy for someone else.

Ps. BIG MAHALOS out to that random uke player at UH. You kick ass.

salukulady
05-07-2009, 02:15 PM
During this past winter, I was really down. I have seasonal affective disorder, and just find it near impossible to function during the colder and darker months. I really love music and have constantly tried to play many instruments with little-to-no-success, so I was surprised when my girlfriend ended up buying me a ukulele for Christmas. It was totally out of the blue, but gave me something to focus on and have fun with, and now I'm absolutely in love!Come to the coast of California.....no snow here! I am convinced I have seasonal affective disorder, I get terribly bitchy and cranky when it's below 70 degrees and I have to put on long pants and shoes......yuk! (And you have a really smart girlfriend!)

DJ ukulele
05-08-2009, 07:10 PM
i started cuz my stepdad had an awesome 6 string maui music uke and it sounded beautiful, it jus made me want to play cuz it gave me something to do in my free time and bcuz i spent my whole childhood listenin to hawaiiana and reggae instead of hip hop and rnb
now its sort of an all the time thing 4 me:shaka:

JT_Ukes
05-08-2009, 07:19 PM
to save the world

hilo65
05-08-2009, 11:30 PM
My sister started playing the uke and was taking lessons from the legendary Roy Sakuma. I never got formal lessons but tried to start playing on my own. I pretty much taught myself to play through trial and error. I was about 10 years old.:shaka:

dberlin
05-09-2009, 12:54 AM
A few things happened...
First I got a severe knee injury that made it hard or even impossible to play soccer on a good level... then one day I realized that the other hobby I had was way too close to my actual profession.

I always wanted to play an instrument, but I rather had some horrible :D experiences when I went to music school as a kid.. but since I'm now grown up- I tried it another time...

And I love it.
~Dan

Uncle-Taco
05-09-2009, 02:32 PM
I love telling this story (it kind of lets me vent):

My family relocated when I was just starting grade school. (Just after the discovery of fire...) At the new school we had an assembly that began and ended with dozens of children all wearing matching blue t-shirts, playing ukuleles, and singing silly old songs.

It was the coolest thing I had ever seen!

I ran home telling my mother about all these kids playing "guitars" that were kid sized, all together, same song, same rhythm, and I just couldn't shut up! My older sister got home and explained that it was the "Uke Club" and that most kids 3rd grade and up went to it before school a couple days a week, did their thing at assemblies, and had the occasional party.

Well, I couldn't wait to be a big 3rd grader and be in the Uke Club!! :nana:

3rd grade finally rolled around and I was so excited to learn cursive (which, to my disappointment, turned out to have nothing to do with cursing) and be in the Uke club. My mother wouldn't allow me to join the Uke Club, though. :wallbash: Whatever her reasons were, she took them to her grave a couple years ago.

At the end of grade school, I decided it was my last chance, so I sneaked out early to school with a borrowed cheap guitar that had only four strings on it. I sneaked and went to Uke Club twice a week for a couple of months, I did get to go to the annual rollerskating party.

Most importantly, I got to play, and I got to hear people applaud when I did it. The memory of that rush still makes me smile, and anybody who denies a kid the opportunity to do that--just once, if they crave it--should be jailed.

I can't even imagine kids parading off to school with a Speed Buggy lunch box in one hand and a ukulele in the other nowadays, but I still believe they're deprived as I was. :D

FrozenMango
05-10-2009, 05:36 AM
I saw some ukuleles. I liked them. I got one. I loved it. I got another uke. I loved it even more. ;)

untheath
05-10-2009, 06:09 AM
I worked in a thrift store in college, and I ended up buying a cheap little beginners uke one day because I thought it was adorable. I looked at some websites to learn how to play, and I got hooked. Then, next time I got a student loan check, instead of having a student loan party with my friends, I bought myself a Flea (and settled on cheap liquor for the student loan party :shaka:)

nire321
05-12-2009, 05:51 AM
i inherited a guitar when i family member died. my hands are small so i always had trouble playing it. i stumbled upon julia nunes via youtube and the bright idea of "hey ukulele would be perfect" so last christmas i got a ukulele and i can't stop playing it.

ThePunkWay
05-13-2009, 12:35 PM
for me it was a combination of the intro to white sandy beach, Ka'au boys fire, and just sheer boredom.... i sat down, listened to some local jams one day, and i was like... i'm gonna learn the uke! hopped onto amazon, got a music book, an oscar schmidt concert, and a tuner, and two months later, here i am...

and i still suck.... but I'm getting better... slowly

hopefully soon i'll be good enough to start making videos for some of the concerts on the site!

megamatt
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Like Nire321 I also have small hands (and NO I do not smell like cabbage) and have struggled with the piano and guitar in the past. I saw Aldrine playing the Legend of Zelda medley on youtube and I had that "Wait a minute..." light bulb go off in my head. Now I've branched out into the violin as well and I'm loving both instruments.

fritziann.muna
05-13-2009, 12:46 PM
At the time I was always surrounded by friends that played the uke a lot I sang along with them. I played the guitar but because my tiny hands couldn't hold down a bar/chord I gave up and tried the ukulele...no one wanted to teach me so I taught myself how to play with the help of tropical storm hawaii .com I was able to print out the keys and a few songs and from there I found ukuleleunderground. I was hooked since then...still learning though..I have no sensei (teacher) so I'm still learning now I have 3 ukulele (Lanikai) waiting for next year to get a better one...:) srry too long...its the truth...

05-13-2009, 12:48 PM
I've been a guitar player since I was 12. I bought myself a Uku when I was 26 and I stuffed in in the closet. I lost interest for a moment. Recently I was looking for someting and I saw my uku in the corner collecting dust. I decided to take it out and play some chords. Suddenly, I was getting more and more into it. Now I've been playing it more so that my guitar- Watching lessons from Aldrine and everyone else. I printed a chord chart and bought myself a binder full of songs off the internet. The Ukulele is wonderful. I'm thinking of an upgrade though.

<3 uku

jkevinwolfe
05-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Julia Nunes. She forced me at gunpoint.

Ukulele JJ
05-13-2009, 05:46 PM
This is a bit of long story...

A guitarist friend of mine got way into ukes several years back. That's what planted the seed in the back of my mind.

Later, my Dad & stepmom retired, sold their townhome (and nearly everything in it), and decided to live on a boat, tooling all around the East coast, Great Lakes, Gulf... you name it. They love it.

Now my stepmom used to play church organ and bit of piano when she was younger. Oboe also. She was thinking retirement would be a great time to get back into music, and that it would be nice to have a small instrument that would be well-suited for playing and keeping on the boat. Remembering my friend, I told her and my Dad that the ukulele would be perfect for her!

They looked at me like I had two heads. :o To them, like most people, the word "ukulele" conjures up images of Tiny Tim and Arthur Godfrey. Oh well.

Still, something about the idea stuck with me, and I eventually realized something: Forget about them... the uke would be a fun thing for me! I checked out the "White Sandy Beaches" tutorial on yootoob, and saw that it really wasn't that complicated of an instrument to get started on.

I called up my friend, talked him into selling me on of his old ukes for cheap, and that's all it took. No turning back now!

JJ

tbone
05-13-2009, 06:03 PM
IZ.... my wife and I try to get to hawaii every couple of years and I found that learning and playing the uke is probably the best form of therepy there is

CoLmes
05-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Julia Nunes. She forced me at gunpoint.

i agree, not so much on playing in general.. i mean she was the first one i saw doing modern songs on youtube.. but she def. made me convinced that I should get a bushman.

i think i thought playing a uke would just be funny.. i mean the first one i got was a dollar off of ebay, it was light blue with white flowers.. i like women, promise. it didn't play a single real note but it was fun as hell, then i got a real one for christmas.. haven't looked back since.

+ everyone plays a guitar, you can throw a rock and it will bounce off 13 guitarist's.. how many uker's are around? gives me an advantage, ppl always wanna know what this is and what it can do.

MGM
05-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Bills, mortgages, divorce, boredom, STRESS RELIEF

Ahnko Honu
05-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Bills, mortgages, divorce, boredom, STRESS RELIEF

In that order? :D

JT_Ukes
05-13-2009, 07:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/sweetafton23

cent
05-16-2009, 07:24 PM
autumn of 2006 i was in kona, on the big island, and a security guard (huge samoan or tongan maybe) on the dock was playing beethoven's "fur elise" on this little ukulele. i was just drawn to it. this was my defining moment. this is when the attraction began. some time later i went to the honolulu swap meet and purchased a ukulele.

ukulele2544
05-16-2009, 08:00 PM
I starded playing the uke at school

Preston
05-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Mid-Life crisis. At the age of 58 bought a $30 uke on a whim. I can't even remember why. As soon as I started playing a few chords I was hooked. Now 4 years later I have 3 sopranos (Harmony, Koaloha, Stewart Mac that I built) a concert (Bushman Jenny), a tenor (Kanile'a), 2 baritones (Greg Bennett, vintage Regal), and 2 banjo ukes. I think I am 4 years younger now than when I started.

aggie182
05-18-2009, 05:53 AM
a co-worker of mine got a uke and i got ukulele envy.

Kurobashi
05-20-2009, 12:25 AM
I went to the first Belgian 'ukulele festival two years ago because I knew the person who organized it via via.
They had this raffle going so I bought some tickets and won second prize, a risa electric uke (soprano uke'ellie). I started playing it immediately but I wanted an acoustic one so a couple of months later I got me a vintage Martin 'uke.
By now I have about 6 ukes :D

totally hooked :shaka:

TheWannabe90
05-20-2009, 11:37 AM
I went to the first Belgian 'ukulele festival two years ago because I knew the person who organized it via via.
They had this raffle going so I bought some tickets and won second prize, a risa electric uke (soprano uke'ellie). I started playing it immediately but I wanted an acoustic one so a couple of months later I got me a vintage Martin 'uke.
By now I have about 6 ukes :D

totally hooked :shaka:
And he has some fine ukes... I can tell... :)

Polido
05-20-2009, 12:47 PM
I started to play ukulele because I'm really like music, and I play bass, guitar and didgeridoo... and I think to try play ukulele because a music "somewhere over the rainbow" I buy a ukulele in a music shop in almada one day... and today ukulele is my favorite instrument

hoosierhiver
05-20-2009, 01:15 PM
I love this thread. I lways liked music, but could never stay with guitar. A friend of mine started ukulele and convinced me to start at the same time. We still play together almost every week and that was several years ago.

bluute
05-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi all,
Watching Amanda Palmer playing Radiohead's Creep on uke got me started, only got my first ukulele on two days ago and I'm already hooked !!

Cheers Ron

LukeyUkey
05-20-2009, 07:59 PM
my grandma gave me a regal soprano from the 1930s that my great great uncle played, i never really thought twice about it until i was camping one day and my friends were sitting around the fire and playing guitar, and i loved the idea of just relaxing and playing some string music, so i started to learn my way around the uke from books and the internet. now a year later i just purchased a koaloha tenor, and now all my guitar playing friends want a uke, and ive got at least 5 other people to pick up the uke! my next goal is to start a uke club here at my university

noahml
05-20-2009, 08:17 PM
i started playing a few months ago at school, ive progressed alot over the months, i take my uke everywhere now. if it werent for the uke i dont know were i would be at right now.

davy
06-04-2009, 02:11 AM
here at melbourne, Australia, barely anyone plays the ukulele

one day my mate manages to get himself really drunk which resulted in him buying a second hand uke off ebay at 2am in the morning. as all good mates do, we teased him relentlessly. but when his uke finally rocked up in the mail, i was so impressed with its ridiculously miniature size that i wanted 2 buy one as well. i did and ive been hooked since my first chord.

misterdub
06-04-2009, 03:19 AM
I've wanted to play guitar for many years; kept trying and trying but always got frustrated. Too much space between frets, my fingers never wanted to go where I wanted them to so I kept giving up before I managed to learn anything at all.

Then one day while poking around on YouTube, I stumbled onto Julia Nunes playing what looked like a tiny guitar (hey, we all have to start somewhere! ;)). After finding out it was a ukulele, I decided to give it a shot. Seemed like all the problems I had with guitar would be non-issues. So, I ordered one and and I was right. Hardly a day goes by where I don't play! I love it...

ukulelemotion
06-04-2009, 08:48 AM
it started when i first watched aldrine's version of harana and then jake's rendition of while my guitar gently weeps. my friend played the uke and had an extra, so i asked if i could borrow it so i could learn. i played that thing constantly. i brought it with me everywhere. he saw how much i loved it and how passionate i became about the uke, he let me have it. i was really lost for words.

some of the youth at my church saw me playing and told me they wanted to learn too, so i told them to bring it with them and we'll jam. they loved it so much and it spread like wildfire. seeing the joy on their faces inspire me to keep playing as well. it has led me to become an advisor for a local high school's first uke club and another one is starting next year at another high school. its awesome!

pigwig
06-04-2009, 03:49 PM
I've wanted to pick up a string instrument for years and the guitar wasn't doing it for me. A few years ago I caught Jake Shimabukuro on tour with Jimmy Buffett and was thoroughly impressed at his skills, so eventually I just said, "to hell with it" and picked up the uke. Best decision ever.

lolsara
06-04-2009, 04:09 PM
I saw some videos of people playing it on YouTube and I love Ingrid Michaelson and she plays it in some of her songs.

salukulady
06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I've wanted to pick up a string instrument for years and the guitar wasn't doing it for me. A few years ago I caught Jake Shimabukuro on tour with Jimmy Buffett and was thoroughly impressed at his skills, so eventually I just said, "to hell with it" and picked up the uke. Best decision ever.Welcome fellow parrothead. Jimmy introduce me to Jake and the uke also.....it's all good.

Playscool39
06-17-2009, 01:15 PM
I got interested when my dad gave my mom an uke for mothersday:rock: (this year). A few weeks later I got one of my own, so i'm really a noob with the uke. Now i'm hooked up and watch youtube video's almost everyday. The only thing is, i'm not as talented as most of u guys, but i'm trying. I'm having lots of fun!I admit, I'm an uke addict:p

Ukulele Jim
06-17-2009, 01:18 PM
I wanted to play a uke ever since I saw "Joe vs. The Volcano" with my (then) girlfriend (now wife). So when she got preggers, I decided I wanted a house full of music and decided it was time to learn how to play something, specifically THAT SONG. It was all downhill from there.

FrankBungle
06-17-2009, 11:57 PM
maybe when i heard the song rise by eddie vedder.
the song is played with a mandolin and i didn't like my guitar version of it, so i asked to myself...why don't you start playing ukulele?

p.s. don't ask me why i didn't ask myself..."why don't you start playing mandolin?" beacuse i've got no answers. :)

dparrothead1
06-18-2009, 12:54 AM
I have played the guitar for 47 years, but now I am getting older, I find it harder and harder. I borrowed a ukulele from my son-in-law (he's a guitar instructor) and I may never pick up a guitar again!!

Only wish I had found the ukulele earlier!!!!!!:old:

Witters
06-18-2009, 02:30 AM
I never played an instrument before although like thousands of others, I used to always say, “I wish I could play a musical instrument”.

My brother in law plays the Saxophone and I used to say the same to him. Every time we saw each other he said “Are you learning any instrument yet”? To which I replied “No, but I’m thinking about a Saxophone the same as you, or a Guitar, or Piano, or whatever”.

The long and short of it all is that I knew it was hard to learn any instrument, and while I have goal to do some things, I am just too dam lazy in others.

Now, I have always like the Ukulele. Watching George Formby or Cliff Edwards in old movies and even some modern movies where the star picks one up in one scene or another, I liked the sound of them, but when I was young I just thought they were small Guitars, or a novelty instrument.
When I got older, I learned that a Ukulele is a real musical instrument in its own right.

So I decided to learn a musical instrument at long last and after spending many happy hours on the internet looking up the Ukulele, who plays them, who makes them, what they are made of, chords, history, and pretty much everything else, I went for it.

That was 2 years ago now and like many things in our lives, wished I had done this years ago. If I lived in Hawaii, I’m almost certain I would have because it is part of the culture, but here in the UK I still think in some circles it is not really considered a proper instrument.

I am what they call, or what I call anyway, a lazy player. That is I try and cut out all the hard bits, like the difficult chords for instance and replace them with easy one’s that I can get away with.
I still cant play the B or Bb for instance properly so I do away with it and change it to something else.
The Ukulele is advertised widely that although it is a instrument that you can play anything on, it should be fun and enjoyable. It is. And they are a carry anywhere instrument which is another thing I liked.

George Harrison as you all know was a huge fan and bought Uke’s for people as presents. Some of the Beatles stuff was first plunked out on Uke’s by George, John Lennon and Paul McCartney before they were altered for Guitar. George always said that everyone should have one and you don’t know what your missing by not getting one. And when someone gets one out to play, it brings a smile to everyone's face. He was right, because I have yet to come across anyone who dont like them.

I have no goals to be an entertainer as such or want to impress anyone. I do it purely for myself, although at some stage I would like to think that I could get the Uke out and have some fun in the pub.
I will do that at some stage if I get the confidence. :D

KC8AFW
06-18-2009, 04:38 AM
Mine started when I was given a Baby Taylor Mahogany. I've played guitar for years (I'm a blues man), but haven't touched it in 5 years or better. When I received the Baby Taylor...it reminded me of the old parlor guitars of the 20s and 30s, so I decided to learn to play fingerstyle acoustic blues ala Robert Johnson (which, by the way, is hard).

As I was on my quest to learn fingerstyle blues...I spent many hours on YouTube (damn related videos) looking for how-to vids and songs I liked that looked not so hard. I was on daddystovepipe's channel one day, and he had fav'd a Roy Smeck video. That got me thinking...one of my big problems is not having time to practice. If I had something I could play in the car while I wait for my kids to get off work, etc...I could practice more and eventually get better. I wonder if anybody else is playing blues on the ukulele (YouTube search time).

Well...one thing led to another (damn related videos), and I discovered people like Julia Nunes, Seeso, Aldrine, Gus & Fin, and so on. I then realized that I just really liked the sound of the ukulele and the size just really appealed to me. So...I bought my first uke, and I can't put the stupid thing down. I play it everywhere. And, I've kinda moved past playing blues on it and have moved on to other styles of music because it really is such a versitile instrument.

ichadwick
06-18-2009, 08:40 AM
A busker playing a charango at at cafe in Zihuatanejo, Mexico.

True story. I was eating breakfast one sunny morning at our friends' place, La Casa Cafe, off Playa la Madera. There was a busker there, playing South American music - Bolivian, Peruvian stuff, playing the pan flutes, quena and a charango. I got so intrigued by the charango that I started talking to the busker - me in my broken Spanish, him in his rough English.

He let me try his charango, and even had one for sale. I liked the instrument and wanted to learn more about it. But I didn't want to bring one home in my luggage. So when I got home, I found an eBay seller in Boliva and bought one.

Then I had to wait six or more weeks for it to arrive. I've got guitars, strumsticks, and I've even played sitar, so this wasn't really unusual for me to get a new instrument. I was eager to learn.

In the interim, I researched charango music online. One site said it was tuned like a ukulele. I'd never played a uke before, but thought I could get one sooner than my charango, learn the basics, then transfer what I learned to the charango. Easy - I'd spend $25-$50, no big deal.

But I didn't like the ukes I saw in the local music store. Cheap, crappy, ugly colours. So I went online. Found a bunch of good ukes. A lot more money, too. Found MGM. Phoned MGM. Convinced myself to buy a $250 uke instead of a $50 one. Ordered one from MGM; a Kala STE, tenor.

It arrived about two weeks before the charango. I started to learn, and to play. I started to smile, too. The charango arrived. I hardly touched it. I had become entranced by the uke. I bought an Eleuke from MGM. Then several more.

I sold the charango, at a loss, and used the money to buy another ukulele. And I became a regular on the UU along the way, too.

That's how I got started.

dparrothead1
06-18-2009, 10:16 AM
"Then I had to wait six or more weeks for it to arrive. I've got guitars, strumsticks, and I've even played sitar, so this wasn't really unusual for me to get a new instrument. I was eager to learn."

Dude.....anyone who can play a sitar has my attention!!!!!!!:worship::worship::bowdown:

DarkBlaireau
06-18-2009, 10:58 AM
I wanted to start the guitar at first, but it seemed like an instrument played by many people. So then I looked for something more unique (well at least in switzerland it's unusual) and found the ukulele, plus it's cheap ! :music:

ihavenotea
06-19-2009, 06:47 AM
I picked up the Ukulele because I needed a campfire instrument.

I sing. I sing a lot. When we go camping I want to be able to lead campfire songs; sometimes there is a guitarist in the group, but you can't count on it. (and they often don't bring their guitars!)

I need an instrument to take with us on camping trips that can give a little more life to campfire sing-alongs.

I can play a little harmonica, but you can't sing at the same time. Pianos aren't portable and apparently there are some in my family who have very strong feelings about accordions.

I was pondering getting an Autoharp. I am glad I ended up with an Ukulele instead; they are about as easy to start playing and much more versatile down the road.

So I have been playing for a couple weeks now and first camping trip of the summer is coming up. Wish me luck!

P.S. – ichadwick, it was probably stumbling upon your Ukulele reviews from your harmonica review page that put the idea in my head; your own search for a cheap ukulele got me thinking how the ukulele would be a inexpensive investment; if it didn't work out no big deal. Too late now… I will end up spending hundreds of dollars over the years to come.

seeso
06-19-2009, 10:48 AM
So I have been playing for a couple weeks now and first camping trip of the summer is coming up. Wish me luck!

Good luck! :shaka:

P-Uker
06-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Strange as it might sound, I was playing the ukulele in a dream one night. The next day I got online and ordered one.

Lori
06-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I had learned classical guitar in my teens, and enjoyed it very much. When I started college, and started dating, my practice time decreased. Then, after college #1 and before Art School I picked up the 5 string banjo. Art Center College of Design (product design major) took over all my time, and I fell more out of practice. After all the schooling, there was the work rat race. So, a long lull in playing music. Just last year though, when trying to find royalty free music for my videos, I decided I should try to make my own music. So, I started practicing the guitar again and bought a Roland keyboard.

So how did Jake come into all this? One day while driving to work, I heard him interviewed on the "Mark and Brian" radio show in LA. I was impressed with what I heard, and then looked up the YouTube "weeps" video. That really got me interested, since I already enjoyed classical guitar.

Eventually, I decided that one of the reasons it was so difficult to practice the guitar, or banjo is because it is such a hassle getting out the instrument to play. Living in a small apartment, everything has to be put away in order to keep from going crazy. So, the idea of a handy uke seemed like a fun idea, and wow!! ... I am really sold! I get to practice much more now, and having so much fun!

–Lori

pink flamingo
06-19-2009, 12:25 PM
surfing>Hawaii>three Plus honey baby>ukulele

and the rest is history

N.F.A.
06-20-2009, 12:44 AM
My first post here. A couple of days ago I happened to hear Jake S.'s version of "Gently Weeps" on Harmony Central of all places. Before that the uke hadn't been on my radar. After hearing him, I knew I had to learn to play. It sounded so beautiful. So, I got a Kamaka off ebay and it will be here in 3 days. Looks like I have a lot of learning ahead of me. Glad to be part of such a cool group of folks! Thanks in advance!
Geoff

ichadwick
06-20-2009, 02:23 AM
".....anyone who can play a sitar has my attention!!!!!!!:worship::worship::bowdown:
Played it in the 70s. Had a beautiful sitar, made by the same guy who made George Harrison's:
http://www.ianchadwick.com/blog%20pics/sitar_01.jpg
Haven't played one since, but I'd love to try again. Never played it very well, mind you, but I did study it through books and correspondence with an accomplished player for about a year.

I love all stringed instruments and have a bazouki and an oud on my "next" list. But my heart belongs to the uke.

ichadwick
06-20-2009, 02:25 AM
P.S. – ichadwick, it was probably stumbling upon your Ukulele reviews from your harmonica review page that put the idea in my head; your own search for a cheap ukulele got me thinking how the ukulele would be a inexpensive investment; if it didn't work out no big deal. Too late now… I will end up spending hundreds of dollars over the years to come.
I think that's how I got UAS, myself. It spreads through Web pages. I'd say I'm sorry, but I'm not, really... I like being in the company of other sufferers.:D

sophie358
06-20-2009, 03:21 AM
I just wanted something to do this summer and it was between take up a sport and learn an instrument. I saw someone playing the uke on youtube so bought myself a really cheap one from ebay and have really gotten into it and i've only been playing a week! I can do a shaky version of somewhere over the rainbow and am starting to learn not coming home tonight by first aid kit.
What in instrument! And everyone who plays it seems to be awesome too!

salukulady
06-20-2009, 06:05 AM
My first post here. A couple of days ago I happened to hear Jake S.'s version of "Gently Weeps" on Harmony Central of all places. Before that the uke hadn't been on my radar. After hearing him, I knew I had to learn to play. It sounded so beautiful. So, I got a Kamaka off ebay and it will be here in 3 days. Looks like I have a lot of learning ahead of me. Glad to be part of such a cool group of folks! Thanks in advance!
Geofftwo words of advice, "use search".

SailorQwest
06-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Ok,
My wife was playing the harmonica and wanted someone who could accompany her. She was getting tired of having to go to open mike bars and playing with other men, :eek: so she ask me to learn to play, I've tried Gutar, no go, I have short, fat fingers and it don't work so good. She suggested the Ukulele and I said I'd try, but no promises. I loved it so much and had so much fun playing, she kept takin it away so she could play it. Now we both play all the time! I think the harmonica is now her "second" instrument. :cheers:

russ_buss
06-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Ok,
My wife was playing the harmonica and wanted someone who could accompany her. She was getting tired of having to go to open mike bars and playing with other men, :eek: so she ask me to learn to play, I've tried Gutar, no go, I have short, fat fingers and it don't work so good. She suggested the Ukulele and I said I'd try, but no promises. I loved it so much and had so much fun playing, she kept takin it away so she could play it. Now we both play all the time! I think the harmonica is now her "second" instrument. :cheers:

wow, it's Mr. Sailqwest!! great to see you here Rich!

great story too.:)

N.F.A.
06-20-2009, 09:33 AM
two words of advice, "use search".

Yes, I did just that for about 2 hours this morning. There is a huge amount of useful stuff here. What a great forum!

Apfelkuch3n
06-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Last summer my girlfriend was in Florida while I was stuck here in Germany, it was hot and boring. I watched a lot Mr.Tube videos and stumbled upon Aldrines Sunday Morning and Land Down Under covers.

Ever since then I wanted to get my own Uke and play it. I used the time my girlfriend was on vacation to watch Aldrines videos and to decide which Uke to get.
I ended up not buying one because I couldn't afford one from MGM because of the customs :(

But on October 10th I got a cheap Mahalo Soprano Uke from a friend as a birthday present and I strummed the hell out of it! I loved this little soprano, even though nobody liked the sound... Today I've got a Honu Tenor ♥

Mahalo,
Lou

vahn
06-20-2009, 11:17 AM
My girlfriend bought me my first Guitar for my birthday last year, a cheapo Indiana from the local music shop. I was in there looking for guitar strings one day, and I saw a little Indiana soprano uke, pretty much exactly like a tiny version of my indiana guitar but a different color. I have a 4 year old son (who was 3 at the time) and I thought it would be cute for pictures. I ended up learning some interesting covers (sunshine of your love, sweet child of mine, day tripper) Then I started transposing stuff I knew on guitar over to ukulele. That's when I decided it was time to get a "real" ukulele. Got a lanakai 8 string, a solid body jupiter creek electric, and a guitalele (1/4 size classical) I play guitar, bass, drums and uke, and I consider uke my primary instrument.

The jupiter creek electric is my favorite.

PihSant
06-20-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm moving away from Hawaii in about a month. I'm a military brat so I've moved around a lot. Hawaii is the longest I've ever lived in one place so I'll be very sad to say goodbye. I wanted to have something with me to remember it by so I decided to take up the ukulele. I love it. I've been playing bass off and on for the past 13 years. I've only been playing uke for 6 months or so, but I love it just as much as I do my bass.

salukulady
06-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Ok,
My wife was playing the harmonica and wanted someone who could accompany her. She was getting tired of having to go to open mike bars and playing with other men, :eek: so she ask me to learn to play, I've tried Gutar, no go, I have short, fat fingers and it don't work so good. She suggested the Ukulele and I said I'd try, but no promises. I loved it so much and had so much fun playing, she kept takin it away so she could play it. Now we both play all the time! I think the harmonica is now her "second" instrument. :cheers:Great to finally meet you, Rich. I live vicariously thru you two, a little. If we (my hubby and I) ever make it to the other side of the "land" we're coming to see you. Thank you for "living the dream". it's good to know it's still possible.
Sally

UkuEroll
06-20-2009, 09:41 PM
As I'm now in a wheelchair, I found it too hard to hold full size Guitars, I tried a ukulele and I've never looked back, just wish I'd found them years ago. Better late than never. I'm now in the process of selling all my Guitars to fund my new UAS, Just 2 to go plus a Sitar, and I'll be back on the hunt for another Uke.

DogBisquit
06-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Mom played the ukulele, and when she passed away a few years, ago I inherited a baritone (the concert when to my nephew). Funny thing is, I didn't know the difference in tunings. I found all of these great resources for tabs and picked-up a few books (including Mom's handwritten song books), but nothing sounded right! It was over a month before I finally realized the difference.

My main squeeze is a concert. The ukulele is my first stringed instrument, and I play it (almost) every day.

gabzuke
06-29-2009, 01:00 AM
this is kind of a weird story but here it goes...

way back when i was like 3-4 years old, i got inspired to play the violin because i would see it in orchestras. When my parents went out i asked them to buy me one. They came back home without a violin but a ukulele. I asked tthem why but tthey said it was the closest tthey could get. idno. But when i first strummed it, i loved it. i mightve not been tuned but everytime i strum it, i would just go happy. I kind of brought it everywhere i went. Then i lost it (coz im really a messy dude). This all happened in the philippines btw.

Then when i got here in Oz where youtube is pretty popular, my sister introduced me to Aj Rafael and his infamous song the 'i just want you'. When i saw this video, reminiscing times began again where i enjoyed playing the uke. So i decided i would get a uke again. My dad said i wouldn't last with it, but im on my way on proving him wrong. so yeah thats how i pretty much started and i play it everyday.

Lori
07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I have this vintage photo of me with my cousin, I'm the one in blue, and didn't even realize until today that I was looking at a ukulele, not a guitar in this photo. So, I guess I had my introduction to ukes captured on film. Looks like a Harmony Tenor. I wonder where that uke is today?

–Lori

danged
07-01-2009, 07:25 PM
I grew up in Hawaii, and all of my older cousins had ukulele's. My parents gave me my first ukulele, which they bought at the commissary in Pearl Harbor. The uke was a Pineapple Kamaka which set them back $40 in the early 60's. :old: I still have the uke, now valued $$$$, and it's sounds better than ever! So I atribute my UAS to my parents. Here's a picture of my first uke, the gold label Pineapple on the right, next to another result of UAS. :D

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=402&pictureid=2379

itsme
07-01-2009, 07:37 PM
I won my tenor uke in a drawing. :)

But I was inspired by hearing Jake Shimabukuro.

seeso
07-02-2009, 12:09 AM
I have this vintage photo of me with my cousin, I'm the one in blue, and didn't even realize until today that I was looking at a ukulele, not a guitar in this photo. So, I guess I had my introduction to ukes captured on film. Looks like a Harmony Tenor. I wonder where that uke is today?

–Lori

That's really crazy!

NatalieLin6
07-06-2009, 07:25 AM
I discovered how truly awesome the ukulele is after I found Julia Nunes and Seeso on Youtube. As someone else said, I never imagined the range of songs that could be played on the ukulele. Within 2 weeks, I bought my $35 no name starter uke. I have been happily strumming for over a year now and am currently saving to upgrade to a beautiful Mainland. Thank you Julia and Seeso for showing me the ukulele ways, and now there is no turning back! :shaka:

AgentORC
07-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Me and my dad used to build model rockets together. So for X-mas about six years ago,I asked for something i could build that was NOT a model rocket. :o I opened up a small blueish box and...a Ukulele kit!! :cool: I loved it and have been playing ever since.

RevWill
07-06-2009, 11:43 AM
My mom bought a Harmony Baritone for a music education class she took in college when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I used to sit on mom and dad's bed with the bari, a felt pick and Mel Bay's "Fun With The Baritone Ukulele" and strum away. From there I moved to the guitar, but I have restrung and played the bari many times. When I was in seminary and spending some nights away from home I wanted something to play without hauling a guitar back and forth all the time. The bari wasn't handy and Music Folk in St. Louis had some Hilos for $35 or so.

They also had a tiki Flea, some other Fleas, and some Flukes.

You can guess the rest.....

Rodgerwilco
07-06-2009, 11:50 AM
When i heard jake play Uke Weeps i was mesmerized, then i heard aldrine jam a few times, and i was convinced, i got my Mitchell MU-70 november 3rd of 08 and i'm still jammin away on it. ;)

oh, and plus my friend ethan played it and he said it gets him ladies ;)

mrsdepp
07-06-2009, 03:28 PM
I just started playing the uke a mth ago.

JULIA NUNES is my main reason that made me interested in the instrument.

'50 first dates' too.

DaveVisi
07-06-2009, 03:50 PM
My fingers are getting stiffer (and slower) as I'm getting older. Guitar playing isn't as fun as it used to be. I bought a Tenor Uke with the thought of tuning it down to baritone tuning and playing what guitar pieces I know without the long stretches or 5th-6th string reaches.

Once the guitar jam session I was planning to attend broke up, I restrung my Tenor back to where it belongs and have been playing along to Aldrine and other YouTube videos ever since.

sws321
07-07-2009, 04:23 PM
one word ............... IZ as soon as i heard the song E Ala E i needed to learn how to play this great instrument

clayton56
07-07-2009, 11:31 PM
I only started with uke about 3 months ago, although I have quite a bit of experience on banjo, clarinet, and guitar.

I have been doing recordings for a few years, but I was getting disenchented with guitar backgrounds as they've been turning out a little heavy. I wanted a nice light, clean strum. And also I wanted to have something small to take to work, the laundromat, etc.

Anyway, I ordered a Pono mahogany soprano, and loved the sound, as well as the convenience and ease of playing.

ahreeka
07-08-2009, 06:01 AM
My h.s. is full of Filipinos and P.I.s and the uke was so common. Since football season ended and was my senior year, I wanted to do something that would keep me busy. I wanted to play an instrument and was stuck with the decision of either guitar or ukulele. I chose ukulele just cause it had fewer strings haha. And now I can't put mine down. I've been playing for 8 months now, owning three ukuleles of every size except a baritone.

krickcrak
12-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Two years ago, on the way back from the volcano we stopped to eat at a cafe by a high school. All the kids came down for lunch and started jamming on their ukes. I thought to myself "I would like to do that." It was a beautiful day and the players were pretty good. Of course, I will probably never play that well and I don't know when I'll get back to Hawaii, but when I pick up my Ohana that memory has a lot to do with how happy playing makes me.

bnicholas26
12-11-2009, 04:47 PM
"tonight you belong to me" by steve martin and bernadette peters

i named my first uke "navin"