Baritone ukulele and Travis picking

Edspyhill05

Reaction score
I’ve been google searching the internet for information on Travis picking basics for baritone ukulele. Also searched UU. The information is very sparse and requires modifying gCEA books and pdf files. Very few pdf files of even the basic Travis patterns. I accept that.

I did just order “Baritone Ukulele from Scratch” and it seems to have what I’m looking for. I know if I would modify the Guitar Travis picking books and the gCEA books it will help me progress but I think a focused practice of dedicated baritone studies will prepare me faster.

What’s the consensus for a baritone sub forum?

Ed T.

Thanks for the heads up on this book. I had heard about it before and heard good things, so with your "reminder" I just ordered a copy.

Just modify guitar books and video's to suit.

Your thumb plucks the D and G strings on the baritone and fingers for the B and E strings. This is my standard way of playing. Whether you call it Travis picking or Piedmont picking the principles are the same. You can't play things exactly like on a guitar without the two bass strings so you just have to work it out.

Consider getting James Hill’s Duets for One book. String you baritone gCEA and learn the pieces. That will put some definite rhythm into your thumb which is the foundation of Travis picking and good playing.

After you master the book, restring your baritone to whatever you like.

The picking you learned will work with whatever tuning.

Kinda Carter style, but whether I'm playing sop or Bari, I try to pick the root, strum, pick the 5, strum.

Top Bottom