PDA

View Full Version : The Electric Uke Thread

Croaky Keith
11-09-2017, 01:09 AM
I don't think we have an electric uke thread, so thought I'd start one. :cool:

Anyone can post anything to do with any electric uke, any strings. ;)

mountain goat
11-09-2017, 01:15 AM
why not just use the main forum?
we don't want to become elitists, do we? :p
(besides, this board is for contests)

Croaky Keith
11-09-2017, 01:18 AM
I have 3 RISA - Uke Ellie tenor, tenor solid/stick, & concert solid/stick - all strung Low G - plus a Mahalo concert Surfboard uke - & to go with them, a Honeytone mini amp & a Micro Cube amp.

Croaky Keith
11-09-2017, 01:22 AM
why not just use the main forum?
we don't want to become elitists, do we? :p
(besides, this board is for contests)

Good point - I'll ask for it to be moved to a more suitable place. :)

DownUpDave
11-09-2017, 02:36 AM
I had a Risa LP, beautiful instrument but just couldn't warm up to the bright metallic GCEA sound (see what I did there) I have a Godin Multiuke in low G with florocarbons and wound G and C Thomastiks and love it.

Check out (website and youtube) Manndolins. Jonathan Mann makes beautiful semi hollow body steel string tenors and baritone ukuleles and octive mandolins.

kohanmike
11-09-2017, 04:36 AM
A few years ago I spearheaded a group buy here on UU for 20 Alida archtop steel string electric ukes, which are the exact ones made for Kamoa by the Chinese manufacturer. Kamoa sold them for $750, the group buy for 20 was $165 each. I was deep into UAS at the time and was knocked out by the design that was so much like my archtop guitar. After receiving it, I made a couple of modifications, but found that I had no occasion to play steel string uke amped, also it was not all that well built, so I sold it not long after. A few of the other participants did the same.

About a year later, still deep in UAS, I saw a Vorzon steel string electric Telecaster style and again jumped in, but again found I had no occasion to play it, and again I sold it. Early this year I lost out on an Ovation tenor uke on eBay, but a few days later saw a Godin Multiuke here on Marketplace for $400 and didn't hesitate. Probably the best purchase I ever made. Not only does it sound great amplified, it sounds great un-amplified. For me the nylon strings make it over steel string. (Note: since I started playing uke over 4 years ago, I have not touched my guitars.)

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Alida knobs.jpg
http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Vorson Tele mine 600.jpg
http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Godin Multiuke sumbust mine 843.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

DaveY
11-09-2017, 04:55 AM
I have a Godin Multiuke in low G with florocarbons and wound G and C Thomastiks and love it.

Which brand of fluorocarbon strings do you have on your MultiUke? I already have the 2 Thomastiks on mine, with D'Addario T2s for the E and A. thx...

DownUpDave
11-09-2017, 05:36 AM
Which brand of fluorocarbon strings do you have on your MultiUke? I already have the 2 Thomastiks on mine, with D'Addario T2s for the E and A. thx...

I actually have the trebles from a South Coast HML-WB set. I would not mind trying Oasis warms, they go very well together with Thomastiks. Chuck Moore of Moore Bettha Ukes did use that combo until he came up with his own floros.

fowl
11-09-2017, 07:41 AM
Several years ago my son bought me an Eleuke concert solid-body that was st up in Hawaii by the late MusicGuyMike. I just was playing it a few minutes ago. Lots of fun and good memories of what MGM did for the uke community.

photoshooter
11-10-2017, 03:18 PM
I woke up one day and decided I needed an electric uke. After a little research I further decided I needed a Multiuke. A little more research and... I came across the limited edition model. This is a little out of character for me. I typically go for more simple things but... you only live once. No regrets about the Multiuke or about the blue. I've had it for about 8 months now. I absolutely love this uke and play it almost every day.

frigiliana
11-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Wow love it congratulations i didn't realise it was Electric Blue photoshooter.

photoshooter
11-11-2017, 12:15 AM
Thanks frigiliana. Back when I asked you about it I'm not sure if I had decided yet. I originally was going to get the cedar top but then saw the blue and amber special editions. Amber seemed more tame but I decided to try something bold for a change :)

DownUpDave
11-11-2017, 12:59 AM
Some eye candy. A friend of mine ordered this custom Mann jazz raptor, from Jonathan Mann of Manndolins. You will notice it is a 5 string with a 22" scale. He does make "normal" 4 string 17" tenors and 20" baritones.

frigiliana
11-11-2017, 02:20 AM
I'm going to have to stop looking at this thread especially with Christmas coming those photos DownUpDave are stunning , it looks to have a radiused fret board exactly how i'd have it made i wonder if it's arched topped as ? well next question how much got to be in the £1000 bracket .

Osprey
11-11-2017, 03:22 AM
I love this thread. Keep it going guys. That blue Multi-Uke took my breath away.

Croaky Keith
11-11-2017, 04:17 AM
Here's a pic of my electric ukes. :)

(Click on it to enlarge.)

turtle10786
11-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Here is my DejaVu Dola electric uke from Moongazer Music. This is a 17” tenor scale with one mini humbucker and D’addario flat wound chrome strings. I play this through my Roland AC-33 amp and it sounds fantastic. My acoustic uke is a KoAloha Sceptre tenor with a misi undersaddle pickup and worth clear strings.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]104380[/ATTACH

sam13
11-14-2017, 01:37 PM
That Blue Godin Uke was fabulous looking ... thanks for sharing.

photoshooter
11-14-2017, 02:35 PM
I love this thread. Keep it going guys. That blue Multi-Uke took my breath away.

That Blue Godin Uke was fabulous looking ... thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much for the kind words. As I said, the blue was a bit more "blingy" than my usual preferences. I decided to throw caution to the wind and I'm glad I did. Also glad to see that others like it as well.

photoshooter
11-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Following the electric uke theme... an upcoming project of mine; putting together a pedalboard.

frigiliana
11-14-2017, 09:22 PM
I'd be interested in that project photoshooter looking forward to seeing what you make .

mep1
11-15-2017, 02:16 AM
Hi there. I got a quite cheap Harley Benton electric uke which I use for silent practices. The action is awfully high but as it is a bolt on neck, maybe that can be sorted with a shim by a luthier if it is worth spending the money on. See the attached photo. 104420

I also have a Pono TE Acacia on order which should arrive in a couple of days so I will make an update when I receive it.

If anyone have an Archtop for sale. Eastman or D'Angelico, then I would be interested... Only been uke playing for a short while, converting from guitars, but love it and really would love to play som uke Jazz. Listening to 'Lyle Ritz' on the stereo as I type. Check him out.

DaveY
11-15-2017, 03:25 AM
Following the electric uke theme... an upcoming project of mine; putting together a pedalboard.

photoshooter, seeing your pedals reminded me of a question I've had for a while: What is the advantage of separate pedals over a multi-effects pedal? Is it better sound in the separate pedals, more visible/readable choices, or . . . ?

photoshooter
11-15-2017, 03:53 AM
photoshooter, seeing your pedals reminded me of a question I've had for a while: What is the advantage of separate pedals over a multi-effects pedal? Is it better sound in the separate pedals, more visible/readable choices, or . . . ?

I'm a complete novice in this area so consider my reply in that context…

I have a multi effects pedal (Zoom G1xON) but I found that I only really liked a few of the many available effects. Separate pedals allow you to research specific sounds/effects that appeal to you and put together a repertoire of only those effects. I'm very much at the experimental stage so I temper my investments accordingly. The two small pedals in the pic are Donner Delay and Compression. Each pedal was less than $30 so I didn't have to put out a lot of money in order to experiment. Separate pedals also allow a musician to dial in a very specific sound based on the order of the pedals and various combinations of pedals. I don't see that as applying to me though. I'm just trying to have some fun. I'm not a gigging musician… heck, I don't even know if I'm a musician, lol.

Another point is that musicians seem to swear by certain specific brands of effects. For instance the TC Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb seems to be more highly regarded than the lowly Behringer RV600 Reverb that I purchased. :roll eyes: So there are many choices even within specific effects. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. I just want a few pedals to increase the fun factor.

Croaky Keith
11-15-2017, 04:20 AM
.......& that's what going electric is all about for me too. :)

My amp has a good selection of effects built in, great fun. :cool:

Hilomar
11-15-2017, 06:48 AM
I own a tululele..it's awesome! ( I'm guessing it's a electric uke? Or is it semi acoustic? ) it's a loud as any of my normal ukuleles..it's certainly as good as the others..I have a handmade uke where the wood is so thin you can see a torch �� through it..consequently the sound is amazing.. Think this super thin wood uke might have the edge.. Might? Earnest instruments are very fine indeed.

Tootler
11-15-2017, 07:42 AM
I have a multi effects pedal (Zoom G1xON) but I found that I only really liked a few of the many available effects. Separate pedals allow you to research specific sounds/effects that appeal to you and put together a repertoire of only those effects.

Multi effect pedals do allow you to combine a series of effects in one pedal. The presets are often unsatisfactory as many of them are ott. You can program in your own combination of effects but it can often be a bit of a faff. I have multi effects pedals but recently have gone to using single effect pedals as it's easier and quicker to set up the overall sound you want.

DaveY
11-16-2017, 07:01 AM
. . . I have a multi effects pedal (Zoom G1xON) but I found that I only really liked a few of the many available effects. Separate pedals allow you to research specific sounds/effects that appeal to you and put together a repertoire of only those effects. I'm very much at the experimental stage so I temper my investments accordingly. The two small pedals in the pic are Donner Delay and Compression. Each pedal was less than $30 so I didn't have to put out a lot of money in order to experiment. Separate pedals also allow a musician to dial in a very specific sound based on the order of the pedals and various combinations of pedals. I don't see that as applying to me though. I'm just trying to have some fun. I'm not a gigging musician… heck, I don't even know if I'm a musician, lol.

. . . I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. I just want a few pedals to increase the fun factor.

Also seeking simplicity, I just sold my Zoom G3 multi-effects pedal and am using a (actually, 2) Roland Micro Cubes for effects; they can be connected to a mixer, too. I like seeing the name of the effect and being able to easily find it, which the Micro Cube — and I guess a dedicated single pedal — allow.

Multi effect pedals do allow you to combine a series of effects in one pedal. The presets are often unsatisfactory as many of them are ott. You can program in your own combination of effects but it can often be a bit of a faff. I have multi effects pedals but recently have gone to using single effect pedals as it's easier and quicker to set up the overall sound you want.

And I've resurrected my Zoom G2 multi-effects pedal, and am actually learning it for the first time. It has plenty of options and combinations on it, but I just like a few sounds.

I wouldn't be surprised if I mostly stay with the Micro Cube for effects (and as a backup, battery-powered amp).

FiL
11-17-2017, 02:52 AM
The three biggest downsides of using individual pedals are that you go through a lot of batteries (unless you're able to plug them all in); it gets expensive real quick (3 Boss pedals can easily set your back $300); and your pedal board can get big real quick. Plus, with all those cables in your signal chain, their are many places for things to go wrong or for hums to be introduced. But like others have said, multi-effects pedals can be confusing to use (and require lots of time reading manuals to tweak), and the effects can be less than stellar. So pick your poison. :)

- FiL

mep1
11-20-2017, 01:35 AM
Is anybody using an octave pedal. I was thinking of getting a Mooer MOC1 Octave guitar pedal to play some base lines with. I have a boss RC-1 loop pedal I use when I practice . Any recommendations?

photoshooter
11-20-2017, 01:48 AM
I have an Electro Harmonics Pog. I play mostly low G and the octave pedal allows me to add a little extra bottom or a little more on the high end if needed. This is all new territory to me so I don’t have much practical experience. I’ve been mostly noodling so far but I’m very pleased with my purchase.

DaveY
11-20-2017, 02:52 AM
Is anybody using an octave pedal. I was thinking of getting a Mooer MOC1 Octave guitar pedal to play some base lines with. I have a boss RC-1 loop pedal I use when I practice . Any recommendations?

I don't have an octave pedal, but there is an octave effect on the Roland Micro Cube that I'm using for effects (and amplification). A pedal might have more consistently good sound, but I can play bass lines on the Micro Cube if I make the right choices in the other settings.

frigiliana
11-20-2017, 05:36 AM
Hi Photoshooter DaveY , your way more adventurous than me , i'm using the Digitech 360 which has an octave pedal but i've never thought of using it, can you give an example of a song where it would be used ideally something on Youtube ?
Cheers Dave

Croaky Keith
11-20-2017, 05:59 AM
If you don't need it for your tune, i.e. the notes don't go below your bottom fret, you can use it to play the tune in a different octave, before returning to the original to finish up.

DaveY
11-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Hi Photoshooter DaveY , your way more adventurous than me , i'm using the Digitech 360 which has an octave pedal but i've never thought of using it, can you give an example of a song where it would be used ideally something on Youtube ?
Cheers Dave

Oh heck, I should have written "could" not "can" -- I mean if I work on it, I think I could do it. But thinking about it, someone could loop a bass line (for, for example, "A Walk On the Wild Side" and a lot of other songs) using the octave pedal, then switch to whatever sounds desired for the chords and any picking.

Or you can just play chords with the octave effect, which of course is much simpler, and sounds good in the right situations.

photoshooter
11-20-2017, 04:01 PM
Cheers Dave

I've just been noodling so I don't have anything posted. However here are a few youtube vids:

https://youtu.be/kMUPnD2WSZA
https://youtu.be/vOn2ooJLhnc

https://youtu.be/DN3JEUUentI

ricdoug
11-20-2017, 04:16 PM
As a performing musician for 6 decades and a professional sound engineer with my own sound and lighting company, I focus more on amplification and microphones for a more natural amplified sound. I do recommend an active DI box, such as the LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI or the Behringer ADI21 for added equalization and a balanced XLR out to run through a microphone cable or a snake for longer runs and signal boost to the mixing board and/or acoustic amplifier. We do a lot of gigs where plugging into an AC outlet is not even an option, so I own a lot of battery powered gear that gets that job done.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?5333-Battery-powered-ukulele-amplification

hollisdwyer
11-20-2017, 05:57 PM

I have realised that beyond UAS and GAS there is PAS (pedal acquisition syndrome) lurking to control our lives. The places I play never have power available so all my gear must be battery powered.

This is my small board:

SoloRule
11-20-2017, 06:11 PM
I have a Risa stick tenor neck104560
I bought the VOX , would have been perfect concept but it is not meant for ukulele.
Bought a Honey tone . Result is still not satisfied. Any recommendations are welcomed.

hollisdwyer
11-20-2017, 08:19 PM
I have a Risa stick tenor neck104560
I bought the VOX , would have been perfect concept but it is not meant for ukulele.
Bought a Honey tone . Result is still not satisfied. Any recommendations are welcomed.

Battery powered is a mandatory for me so my amps are a Yamaha THR5A and a Roland AC33. The Roland is better IMO but heavier.

SoloRule
11-20-2017, 09:36 PM
I have the yahama. I was referring to using it as a travel uke. Sorry

frigiliana
11-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Thanks ricdoug for your advise your expertise is very much appreciated, on the Digitech 360 theres a setting that switches from Amp to Mixer so i can practice at home and use the switch for gigs , my problem is the choice of Amp samplers there are, it's very confusing .

I was very lucky to watch the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain last week amazing players but i noticed apart from the Bass player none of the other Ukulele players where plugged in they all had mikes directed at there Ukulele's for a more acoustic sound i assume .

Croaky Keith
12-21-2017, 08:50 AM
I have the yahama. I was referring to using it as a travel uke. Sorry

There are various headphone amplifiers out there, but I've not had a great deal of luck with them, but they are small, some even fit into the RISA bag complete with a cable.

Croaky Keith
12-21-2017, 08:55 AM
I was just looking at one of my online suppliers website, & saw a second hand Clearwater steel string electric uke for £80, looked to be in perfect condition, so thought I'd give it a try, as I had wanted to try an electric steel strung uke for a while, but didn't like the RISA prices.

(Click on image to enlarge.)

That's another Xmas present for me. :)

dasuol
01-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Here is my favorite electric uke. My stratolele that I built last year. So much fun to crank it through an amp and just let 'er rip!

RAB11
01-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Hey all.

Got a Clearwater Les Paul Tenor the other day and having had time to play it I'm pleased in the main I've got some concerns about the pickups. I've done a quick review here and I'd appreciate some thoughts.

https://youtu.be/cZmF6MvjP_4

Croaky Keith
01-06-2018, 11:55 AM
You say it sounds OK when played through the headphone amp, so I'm wondering if your patch cord is perhaps faulty.

RAB11
01-06-2018, 12:11 PM
Could be, although I've hooked a pair of speakers up to that amp plug and mainly get lots of feedback. Tried a couple different leads into the amp as well. So I'm not sure why it seems to work with headphones.

bird's eye view of my ukelele
01-06-2018, 03:23 PM
do you have a tuner that you can plug a lead into? i have one, as well as a gazillion clip on tuners, if you have one or can borrow one, try tuning the uke through a lead - does the that g string register ok?

it's really odd that you can hear it ok through the vox and not through the practice amp. do see how it goes through another amp.

if it doesn't work reliably clean through other amps, then start a returns process with amazon, you shouldn't be out of pocket on postage and you could ask for a replacement and see how that goes, or get a refund...

bird's eye view of my ukelele
01-06-2018, 03:26 PM
also... my jupiter creek electric uke has a similar overhang of the fingerboard over the bit of neck that goes over the body

Futurethink
01-06-2018, 04:02 PM
There are two screws on each pickup. Each one adjusts the height of the pickup. You can adjust the left screw to bring the left side of the pickup higher/closer to the G string.

Better strings are available, and in a variety of tensions or thicknesses. I use the middle four strings from a guitar set to tune GCEA, and the heaviest four guitar strings to tune DGBE. You can have a lot of fun trying options. Flatwound, coated, 9s, 12s, etc.

I have also read about guitarists who swap out the potentiometers on their guitars for a smoother transition from low volume or low tone to high volume or high tone. My understanding is that customizing the parts is just part of the electric instrument experience. You have to think like a hot rodder.

Even replacing the jack plug can make a big difference. The plug jack on mine is obviously of low quality, and I plan to replace it soon.

Futurethink
01-06-2018, 04:24 PM
Check out these videos;
https://youtu.be/KNQg2JDVvVw
https://youtu.be/93HWrhxl3tw
https://youtu.be/1rZzuIknC1Y
and this page about setup;
https://www.guitarplayer.com/technique/the-12-step-guide-to-electric-and-acoustic-guitar-setup

RAB11
01-06-2018, 09:04 PM
do you have a tuner that you can plug a lead into? i have one, as well as a gazillion clip on tuners, if you have one or can borrow one, try tuning the uke through a lead - does the that g string register ok?

it's really odd that you can hear it ok through the vox and not through the practice amp. do see how it goes through another amp.

if it doesn't work reliably clean through other amps, then start a returns process with amazon, you shouldn't be out of pocket on postage and you could ask for a replacement and see how that goes, or get a refund...

That's a really good idea. It's really weird, in the video I was playing the G string on the 5th fret, should be the same note as open C, and got not nothing. If I go past the 5th fret on the G string then it starts picking it up a bit better. Don't know whether because the uke was set up for High G the pickups aren't able to respond to notes lower than that or what.

I'm a bit annoyed I've already put new strings on, probably should have taken them and had a look inside the pickups first. I'm wondering if I could take the covers off whether that would help. At least I'd be able to see if the poles are lined up.

RAB11
01-06-2018, 10:51 PM
Right I've done some faffing. Raised the neck pickup level with the fretboard, which didn't really do anything, and then I thought about what I do on my acoustic ukes when they're plugged in. Normally I turn the treble down at the pickup which makes the sound a bit less harsh. Here I decided to do this at the amp, keeping the bass all the way up and there's a definite improvement, although the sound can still cut in and out at times and the C string is a bit boomy.

https://youtu.be/3JR9YyyCgtU

kohanmike
01-07-2018, 07:15 AM

Sorry I just realized I never read your post. I use Martin high G.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

jer
01-07-2018, 09:27 AM
RAB11:
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding here or any of this is rehash...but just some thoughts:

First off, it looks like you're labeling the pickups wrong, unless this instrument selector switch is backwards from the norm.
When the switch is pointing towards the ground, that is the bridge pickup. When the switch is pointing up, that is the neck pickup. The middle position is usually both pickups engaged at the same time.

I wonder if there is a short in the cable that goes from the instrument to the amp you're using. You said it works with the little Vox Amplug thing, if I remember correctly..and that eliminates the cord since it just plugs directly into the instrument. From the end of the cord you have there, it looks like one of those really cheap ones. I've had them included in things I've purchased before and they're not good. They tend to short out after not a lot of use.

I wonder what your low G string is made of. Nickel wound strings work best with magnetic pickups. It doesn't have to be pure nickel, just something along the lines of what D'addario uses in their XL electric line. Other materials don't work as well, and some not at all.
The pickup doesn't have adjustable pole pieces, so there is likely going to be at least some slight variation..nothing too major though. Ideally, it has a bar magnet if it doesn't at least have pole pieces that are spaced correctly.
The fact that you get signal part of the way on the fretboard, and not on the other makes me think it'd be something else though.

I'm wondering what the two control knobs are. Most commonly, one would be a tone knob and the other a volume knob. It could also be wired up so both are volume controls, one would control the bridge pickup and the other the neck.

Finally, there could be some issue with the electronics that would be hard to pinpoint without having someone experienced look at it.

Hopefully you can get it figured out and fixed soon so you can enjoy it more.
You did some cool playing in the demo. :cool:

jer
01-07-2018, 09:39 AM
One more thing: Bridge pickups need to be set higher out of the body than neck pickups usually to get the same volume as the neck pickup.

RAB11
01-07-2018, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the thoughts mate.

Re the cables, not sure that's the problem. In the demo I played with the one that came with the uke, but previously I played with a cable I've had for years and gigged with but got the same problem. Also had similar issues with the amp plug with speakers plugged into the headphone slot there.

First off, it looks like you're labeling the pickups wrong, unless this instrument selector switch is backwards from the norm.
When the switch is pointing towards the ground, that is the bridge pickup. When the switch is pointing up, that is the neck pickup. The middle position is usually both pickups engaged at the same time.

Ah my mistake. May explain a few things.

I wonder what your low G string is made of. Nickel wound strings work best with magnetic pickups. It doesn't have to be pure nickel, just something along the lines of what D'addario uses in their XL electric line. Other materials don't work as well, and some not at all.

I've got Ernie Balls on there, a habit from when I used to play guitar. Not had problems with them on guitars so I'm not sure on that score either.

I'm wondering what the two control knobs are. Most commonly, one would be a tone knob and the other a volume knob. It could also be wired up so both are volume controls, one would control the bridge pickup and the other the neck.

This is what I'm thinking too actually. That's the only difference I can tell when I adjust that knob.

Thanks for the thoughts though. I'll keep having a tinker and if it keeps going there are a couple local luthiers I know of who may be able to shed light.

jer
01-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the thoughts mate.

Re the cables, not sure that's the problem. In the demo I played with the one that came with the uke, but previously I played with a cable I've had for years and gigged with but got the same problem. Also had similar issues with the amp plug with speakers plugged into the headphone slot there.
I understand now. Definitely sounds like it could be something with the electronics then. A bad pot, switch, jack, loose connection, etc.

Ah my mistake. May explain a few things.

I also made a mistake in my typing. I mean to say you mislabeled the pickup selector switch, not the pickups themselves. I think you understood what I meant, even with my error. haha.

I've got Ernie Balls on there, a habit from when I used to play guitar. Not had problems with them on guitars so I'm not sure on that score either.

That definitely rules out the string then.

This is what I'm thinking too actually. That's the only difference I can tell when I adjust that knob.

I thought a bit more, and it wouldn't make sense to have them both as volume knobs AND have a pickup selector switch. The one guitar I had with two volume knobs didn't have a switch. You just controlled with the knobs. It was cool to mix in a little from one pickup and a little from another....but who knows what they did with this.

Thanks for the thoughts though. I'll keep having a tinker and if it keeps going there are a couple local luthiers I know of who may be able to shed light.
You're welcome. I wish it could've been more help. Hopefully you can find a good tech or luthier who will get it figured out and fixed reasonably, if you can't get the solution. All in all, it looks like a pretty cool uke!

jer
01-07-2018, 10:04 AM
P.S. - One of those videos Futurethink linked to in particular I think is a good one, if you didn't check it yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93HWrhxl3tw&feature=youtu.be

The first problem mentioned is especially interesting to me. I've never encountered that problem, so will file that away in my mind to remember hopefully.
Since it's just one string on yours though, that's particularly odd.

hollisdwyer
01-08-2018, 02:31 PM

I too have been afflicted with PAS. I use the TC Electronic Sub-Up Octaver. That gives you 1 octave up and two octaves down. It also offers downloadable sound profiles as do many of the other TC Electronic pedals. Check it out on YouTube to see if it might be right for you. I also use the Baggs Para DI and some Strymon pedals.

plunker
01-16-2018, 03:43 AM
When I got my Pono MTD on E bay, I didn't know it was "electric". Found that out when it came. Didn't know what to do with it for awhile. Later got a Roland portable amp (so-so but OK to mess around at home). That as neat. Then I found out I could cut CDs using Audacity, an pipe right into the computer, not worrying about background noise. I would highly recommend one. Bought an Oscar Schmidt 28T. Could have gotten the electric one for about $ 30.00 extra. Wish I had. My 2 cents.

estill
01-17-2018, 06:30 AM
My family decided that I needed the Risa TE for Christmas. So I am now the proud owner of a sea foam green one. I'm slowly getting the sound I want dialed in. (I made my own amp/speaker and front ended it with a Joyo American Sound pedal.) I think I want a reverb pedal, but I'm trying hard to fight off pedal acquisition syndrome.

The big question I have floating around is regarding the strings. I know the correct answer to strings, is keep trying new ones until you find the sound and feel you like. So, can someone give me some general guidelines when it comes to choosing my next set of strings. I'm trying to figure out all of the care and feeding requirements of my uke before the need arises.

I have a smaller question about a buzz/hum I'm getting, but I haven't checked everything yet. I think it is my amp not being properly grounded as it is powered from a laptop power supply. I don't think anyone else can even hear it unless I point it out, but I know it's there. I used to run sound for my church, so I know I have a few more places to check.

Croaky Keith
01-17-2018, 07:50 AM
Congrats on the new uke. :)

(All I can think of for a hum(?) is maybe some kind of feedback.)

Our regular expert may have something in his contribution about recording equipment.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?120478-I-d-like-to-buy-a-mic

estill
01-19-2018, 04:43 AM
Finding the buzz was a fun experiment. I finally narrowed it down to the power supply. I was able to splice in a battery, and the buzz went away. I guess I went a little too cheap on that part.

TheNoseeums
02-15-2018, 11:53 AM
Im currently in the market for an electric baritone - steel stringed - and if not steel stringed, it should sound electric. not like ponos electric that still sound like an acoustic...

estill
02-15-2018, 12:15 PM
I saw the Jonathan Mann Raptor looking around http://www.manndolins.com/raptor-tenor-or-baritone.html. I don't know anything about it.

Inksplosive AL
02-15-2018, 03:56 PM
https://www.elderly.com/blue-star-baritone-konablaster-ukulele.htm

The Blue Star page seems to have disappeared you could order custom designs other than the canned ham shape.

Croaky Keith
02-15-2018, 11:27 PM
Must it be a bari - there are a couple of tenor scales that could likely be tuned DGBE.

(RISA, fairly expensive - Clearwater/Vorson, cheaper alternative.)

mep1
04-06-2018, 03:51 AM
Hi there,

Just thought that I would share this link with you guys as these electric ukuleles look beautiful. I don't know anything about the quality or where one can buy them though.

http://www.east-start.com/products/electric-or-jazz-ukulele/esu-j58e6-brown-electric-jazz-ukulele,-solid-hollow-body,-arched-top.html

Cheers

Braddtastic
04-06-2018, 04:49 AM
...About a year later, still deep in UAS, I saw a Vorzon steel string electric Telecaster style and again jumped in, but again found I had no occasion to play it, and again I sold it... [/URL]

I'm curious about your assessment of the Vorzon! It looks like a great bargain if the quality is there, though I hear they're surprisingly heavy.

kissing
04-06-2018, 05:23 AM
I'm curious about your assessment of the Vorzon! It looks like a great bargain if the quality is there, though I hear they're surprisingly heavy.

I've had a Vorson "Les Paul" shaped model - a bargain I got off eBay.

The pickups are OK and it does kinda look cool.
The quality has some issues.

Aside from aesthetic issues, my main issues (at least on mine):

-There IS an adjustable truss rod, but the headstock required some dremmeling of wood for the truss rod key to be accessible.
I don't know if I was unlucky, or if this is the case on all the stock.

-The adjustable bridge may rattle a bit, and needs a lot of adjusting for intonation to be right

Overall, the Vorson is a cheap thrill, and can be lots of fun.
It certainly is a low-budget steel string electric ukulele.
But with it also comes some inconveniences and quality issues.

J Music
01-29-2019, 05:01 PM
RN I have an acoustic electric Luna Tattoo, but there's this nice solid electric called the Cherry Valkyrie or something, but it's very often out of stock and hard to get

Music-mcm
07-31-2019, 02:15 AM
On the lookout for a solid electric tenor ukulele, they seem to be hard to come by.

Croaky Keith
07-31-2019, 03:27 AM
Vorson/Clearwater & RISA make them. :)

keenonuke
07-31-2019, 04:59 AM
I had a Risa LP, beautiful instrument but just couldn't warm up to the bright metallic GCEA sound (see what I did there) I have a Godin Multiuke in low G with florocarbons and wound G and C Thomastiks and love it.

Check out (website and youtube) Manndolins. Jonathan Mann makes beautiful semi hollow body steel string tenors and baritone ukuleles and octive mandolins.
Wow thanks for telling us about http://www.manndolins.com/ he does beautiful work.
I have ukuleles that are electric or have a pickup. Now I'm searching for The amplifier. :-)

keenonuke
07-31-2019, 05:07 AM
On the lookout for a solid electric tenor ukulele, they seem to be hard to come by.

Seagull makes a semi solid body nylon or steel string concert body with a soprano scale. Ovation Applause makes a soprano and you can find tenors used. Godin makes a beautiful tenor solid body. Pono and their parent company also make a solid body Tenor electric Ukulele. And of course many makers build ukes with EQ and you can install a pickup in a ukulele. Happy strumming :-)

Arcy
07-31-2019, 05:23 AM
I have and like my Vorson LP, with the caveat that you get what you pay for and it's cheap. Still fun to play and sounds pretty good. Given how often I play it, it's one I'd consider upgrading if I had budget.

Another builder who looks good (but I haven't played or heard) is Fanner on Etsy. I believe I e seen a NUD from somebody here receiving one, so there may be more info there. https://www.etsy.com/shop/FannerGuitarWorks?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=641021031

steveholt
08-01-2019, 03:07 AM
Hi Folks,

Does anyone here have the Anuenue Tolelele uke?
I am half tempted on it as a practice/electric uke.

How do solid bodies compare to the Risa Uke sticks for unplugged noise/feel/responsiveness for practice quietly in the kitchen?

Thanks regardless

estill
08-02-2019, 12:02 PM
My Risa Solid Body is very quiet not plugged in. Much quieter than an electric guitar not plugged in.

Sometimes I will play it un-amplified when on a call with work. I have a wired speakerphone, and I'm about 3 feet from the mic. The only time someone can hear me playing is when the call goes completely silent.

keenonuke, take a look at the Wangs 5w Tube amp. I picked one up earlier this year, and it sounds so nice. I don't have any pedals so I can't comment on how those sound.

Mezcalero
08-17-2019, 07:57 PM
Just discovered this thread! I've been digging me some electric uke for around a year now! Originally had a Risa baby Les Paul. I loved the tone, but found the string spacing at the saddle a bit tight for my taste. Now I have a Monkey Wrench (19" scale) tuned GCEA, and Mann Tenor guitar (21.4" scale) converted to baritone tuning, but tuned up a step to EAC#F#.