Reaction score
Can anyone give your thoughts on:

1) TODA
2) SHIMO
3) ANCESTORS
4) TRUTH
5) KIGA
6) CHIHALA

I may go on a Uke hunting trip to Japan so hopefully would like to get more info on these makers if possible.

Playability ranks 1st followed by Sound 2nd and Craftsmanship 3rd.

As I already have something built by Shinji Takahashi, thus T's and Seilen are left out. I am biased towards TODA and SHIMO at the moment... any recommendation and thoughts on this are very much appreciated!

If you are going to Tokyo , please visit this street that sells strings instruments and report back to us here so we can read with envy. I heard it takes a full day to walk from beginning of the street to the end of the street.
When I was there, I did not have time to make it to that section of town. A big regret. Now I need to make another trip just for that.

You can do your homework before you go by visiting J-Guitar.com.

If you are going to Tokyo , please visit this street that sells strings instruments and report back to us here so we can read with envy. I heard it takes a full day to walk from beginning of the street to the end of the street.
When I was there, I did not have time to make it to that section of town. A big regret. Now I need to make another trip just for that.

You can do your homework before you go by visiting J-Guitar.com.

Thanks for the Tokyo tip. This is all J-Guitar's fault.. I was on the road to UAS recovery until I browsed J-Guitar......

My Japanese uke first-hand experience is limited to Kiwaya/Famous, both of which are great for the money, but in the custom world I'd add a couple more to your list:

Makolele
Hatta

I'm envious of your upcoming trip, and of your Takahashi Shinji uke. Happy travels and please report back on what you find!

I have a TODA tenor that I really like. Playability (for me) is excellent, as are tone and craftsmanship. This uke is great finger style and strummed. One thing some people may not like is he does not pour fill his ukes before finishing, so the finishes are not ultra glossy or smooth.

There are other full custom Japanese luthiers such as Joji Yoshida. Another to add to might be Lotus Acoustics (there are two on HMS at the moment).

My Japanese uke first-hand experience is limited to Kiwaya/Famous, both of which are great for the money, but in the custom world I'd add a couple more to your list:

Makolele
Hatta

I'm envious of your upcoming trip, and of your Takahashi Shinji uke. Happy travels and please report back on what you find!

Thanks for bringing them to my attention, they look really nice. I'm curious as to what the Hatta Japanese Cyprus sounds like... Looks like I have a lot of homework to do... My 6 yr old daughter has a pink plastic Kiwaya and she loves it but I guess kids play the Ukulele with their eyes above everything else.

Last edited:
I have a TODA tenor that I really like. Playability (for me) is excellent, as are tone and craftsmanship. This uke is great finger style and strummed. One thing some people may not like is he does not pour fill his ukes before finishing, so the finishes are not ultra glossy or smooth.

There are other full custom Japanese luthiers such as Joji Yoshida. Another to add to might be Lotus Acoustics (there are two on HMS at the moment).

Yes, I noticed that quite a few Japanese Luthiers do not favour pore filling.... wonder why?

Joji Yoshida! I totally forgot about him! Thanks for bringing him up! Love his snakewood ukulele... what are your thoughts on snakewood? Heavy build?

Yes, I noticed that quite a few Japanese Luthiers do not favour pore filling.... wonder why?

Joji Yoshida! I totally forgot about him! Thanks for bringing him up! Love his snakewood ukulele... what are your thoughts on snakewood? Heavy build?

No pore filling means lighter finish. Some people feel this can enhance tone.

Snakewood is very dense. So, yes, the wood will be heavier. I have heavy ukes that sound great and light as air ukes that sound great. Personally, I don't care as I always play sitting. Personally, I think Snakewood is gorgeous. I understand it can be very challenging to work with. Joji does everything by hand, so especially true for him. He and Jake (Hive) are the only two I'm aware of who've used it (not say say nobody else has, I just don't know of any others).

There are so many lutheirs in Japan. I put up some of them.

Urabe-Strings
Chilale works
Gengentomten
Seilen
Mugendoh
Shimo Guitars
Asturias Guitars
Songbird Guitar Workshop
Kakumae
Kige
Tsumura-inc
T's
Tashiro
Ukulele-Ike
Saiun-Koubou
UkuleleStudio
Urano Guitars
Craft Musica
Toda Guitars
Chai Guitar
Yamazaki Guitar

I own Urabe-Strings, Ukulele Ike and Kakumae. My favorite one is Urabe-Strings in terms of playability and sound. Urabe-strings is located in Kyoto. You can buy Urabe-Strings ukulele only three shops in Tokyo and Osaka.
http://www.urabe-strings.com/shops.html
When you visit Tokyo, Ochanomizu is the street where you check ukuleles. Do not hesitate to try ukuleles.Just ask before try. People are very friendly. There are so many ukulele (guitar) shops in the street. When you visit Kyoto, Jugiya (十字屋) is one of the best shop in there. I always buy ukulele and guitars up there.

Last edited:

I have never understood the somewhat obsessive need by many builders to fill in every tiny often infintessible pore. Ending up with something resembling glass or worse yet plastic. Pores or grain etc are part of the natural beauty of wood which I believe should be celebrated rather than hidden.

I'm curious as to what the Hatta Japanese Cyprus sounds like...

Here's an example of a hinoki/Japanese cypress Hatta on Instagram - hopefully these links will work and are not a private account:

[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/BaoegYIBg0t/?taken-by=chi_iro.toropicalcider[/video]

[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/BZzzWMnBAGa/?taken-by=chi_iro.toropicalcider[/video]

I guess kids play the Ukulele with their eyes above everything else.

Ha - this is true for a fair number of adults as well! :)

Naoki Yoshiro is another luthier you might check out. He did the gorgeous sounding green concert that HMS had on their site about a year or so ago.

Yes , Saw that too... Might still be available I think.

There are so many lutheirs in Japan. I put up some of them.

Urabe-Strings
Chilale works
Gengentomten
Seilen
Mugendoh
Shimo Guitars
Asturias Guitars
Songbird Guitar Workshop
Kakumae
Kige
Tsumura-inc
T's
Tashiro
Ukulele-Ike
Saiun-Koubou
UkuleleStudio
Urano Guitars
Craft Musica
Toda Guitars
Chai Guitar
Yamazaki Guitar

I own Urabe-Strings, Ukulele Ike and Kakumae. My favorite one is Urabe-Strings in terms of playability and sound. Urabe-strings is located in Kyoto. You can buy Urabe-Strings ukulele only three shops in Tokyo and Osaka.
http://www.urabe-strings.com/shops.html
When you visit Tokyo, Ochanomizu is the street where you check ukuleles. Do not hesitate to try ukuleles.Just ask before try. People are very friendly. There are so many ukulele (guitar) shops in the street. When you visit Kyoto, Jugiya (十字屋) is one of the best shop in there. I always buy ukulele and guitars up there.

Thank you! Now I have even more to homework to do. Hopefully I can get some decent priced flight tickets...*fingers crossed

I have never understood the somewhat obsessive need by many builders to fill in every tiny often infintessible pore. Ending up with something resembling glass or worse yet plastic. Pores or grain etc are part of the natural beauty of wood which I believe should be celebrated rather than hidden.

I was looking for the Japanese term and Bingo! robinboyd hit the nail on the head. Wabisabi. Love the concept.

Wabisabi?

Bingo! Was cracking my brain finding that word. Thanks! Also like the concept of Kintsugi... Maybe I shd try it on a cheap cracked uke? Worst case scenario .... I'd have a neat wall hanger.

Here's an example of a hinoki/Japanese cypress Hatta on Instagram - hopefully these links will work and are not a private account:

[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/BaoegYIBg0t/?taken-by=chi_iro.toropicalcider[/video]

[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/BZzzWMnBAGa/?taken-by=chi_iro.toropicalcider[/video]

Thks, Now I know wat it sounds like.

The Cypress sounds great. Thanks for posting. I’d live a tenor in that wood.

So the tickets are booked and it is off to Japan we go!! Leaving tomorrow for the 1st and 2nd leg of our trip.. Japan will be the 3rd leg.

Last edited:
Top Bottom