Breaking out in Hives

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
Well I guess the thread title says it all. But its a good thing! A few months ago on Jake Maclay's Facebook page, I saw a Snakewood and Adirondack Spruce uke that he had just started building. I know that some of you have seen this uke on his page as well. I had become completely enamored with the sound of the Redwood and Birdseye Maple uke that he had built for me earlier in the year, so I sent him an email to inquire about the Snakewood. He told me that he was building the uke to show and sell at the Luthiers Invitational festival in Woodstock, NY. Well, what if I went to the show, could I reserve the uke? Bingo, uke sold! Yay! I asked him to put the same Gotoh tuners and fingerboard markers on it that he had done on my other Hive. So fast forward to the end of October, and my wife and I loaded up the camper and headed up to Woodstock. Peace, Love, and Ukulele. Although Jake was only one of two uke builders there, we had a great time meeting him, talking shop, and playing the three beautiful ukes that he had there at the show. And that included the magnificent Luthiers For A Cause uke that he will be displaying at the Ukulele Builders Guild show in Hawaii very soon.

Jake shipped the uke out after he returned from the show, all cleaned and polished, and I received it yesterday. It is truly magnificent. He told me that Snakewood is the most dense wood that he has worked with, which resulted in incredible "reflection and projection." It is a fantastic compliment to my other Hive, which has a slightly warmer, more balanced tone. But both ukes are loud! Both are tuned low G for now, but I will change one of them to re-entrant. I am not sure which one at this point.

So now I join Eddie and Matt as a multiple Hive owners. Breaking out in Hives has never felt better!!

Attachments

• IMG_4215.jpg
    IMG_4215.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_4212.jpg
    IMG_4212.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_4213.jpg
    IMG_4213.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4180.jpg
    IMG_4180.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Wow.......what a pair..............of ukueles...... to stare at. Congratulations Dana they are incredible looking and no doubt sounding instruments. Are they both concert size??? Congratulations and I loved the Woodstock tie in, Peace Out Man

Wow.......what a pair..............of ukueles...... to stare at. Congratulations Dana they are incredible looking and no doubt sounding instruments. Are they both concert size??? Congratulations and I loved the Woodstock tie in, Peace Out Man

Hey Dave, thanks. They are both tenors, and I am pretty sure that is the only size that Jake builds,

Congrats Dana, I love how the two ukes complement each other (dark top, light back and vice versa).

Attachments

• IMG_4217.jpg
    IMG_4217.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 27
Dana, what a striking pair of Hives! They are so different, yet both so beautiful, which makes it all the more striking. Congratulations!

You are correct in that Jake only makes tenors.

Last edited:
They're so lovely Dana. Congratulations brother.
I think the redwood and birdseye maple tenor is one of
the most beautiful ukuleles I've ever seen.
Great to have two instruments whose tonal characteristics are quite different.

I did see this build on Jake's page and what a fortunate stroke that you managed to get it! Both of your ukes are gorgeous! Hives are a pretty good thing to break out in, congratulations!

Those are lovely stands by the way. Who makes them?

Dana, what a striking pair of Hives! They are so different, yet both so beautiful, which makes it all the more striking. Congratulations!

You are correct in that Jake only makes tenors.

Thanks Eddie. You have a pretty striking pair of Hives as well!

They're so lovely Dana. Congratulations brother.
I think the redwood and birdseye maple tenor is one of
the most beautiful ukuleles I've ever seen.
Great to have two instruments whose tonal characteristics are quite different.

Thanks Jon. And although I am biased, I told Jake the same thing after I received the redwood and birdseye uke.

I did see this build on Jake's page and what a fortunate stroke that you managed to get it! Both of your ukes are gorgeous! Hives are a pretty good thing to break out in, congratulations!

Those are lovely stands by the way. Who makes them?

Thanks Peace Train. And yes, I waited 14 months to get my first Hive. I only had to wait 3 months for this beauty. And this one is a beast! Very powerful.

I made the stands. I am a cabinetmaker by trade.

Snakewood amazing. Been wanting to make some bodhran beaters out of some. Gorgeous instruments.

Congrats Dana! That’s a quite a pair of Hives. Both wood combinations are outstanding. Thanks for the pictures. I was wondering who was the lucky new owner of that Snakewood Hive.

attachment.php

Congrats Dana! That’s a quite a pair of Hives. Both wood combinations are outstanding. Thanks for the pictures. I was wondering who was the lucky new owner of that Snakewood Hive.

attachment.php

Thanks Hodge. All I can tell you is that good things come to those who wait. You Katalox Hive will be amazing!

I couldn't agree more Matt. It looks like you have your walnut Hive strung re-entrant. I have to decide which one I will change over. Decisions, decisions!!!

You might want to get a third so you can have a reentrant with a wound third as well. I am really enjoying this thread, congratulations again Dana. I am now itching for a Hive;)

Top Bottom