The do's and don'ts of impressing your significant other's family

Kateri

Reaction score
I'm going to meet my boyfriends family next week for the first time. Is there anything I should avoid saying or doing, anyone have any tips? I'm kinda nervous.

if he's pinoy, jus eat a lot (not too much tho, tabachoy) an compliment the food, the mom will love u foreber! be urself an smile a lot. jus dun appear to be a succubus... lol. i ono. its 5am hea, i might jus be ramblin. sry

He's portuguese filipino, but his mom isn't fob filipino. But I'm sure she'll be cooking food stuffs so thanks for the tip!

i would say just be yourself. if you are good people and they are good people, everything will work out fine. no need to stress. if there are any portuguese filipino faux pas, i'm sure your BF will give you a heads up prior to your visit.

good luck!

Just be yourself.

And no matter what happens, don't assume that it's you. My uncle once gave my cousin a lot of grief because he felt that his gf "wasn't good enough". Geez, I met her and thought she had it all: intelligence, looks, eloquence and class! Go figure. :confused:

Just be yourself.

And no matter what happens, don't assume that it's you. My uncle once gave my cousin a lot of grief because he felt that his gf "wasn't good enough". Geez, I met her and thought she had it all: intelligence, looks, eloquence and class! Go figure. :confused:

haha thats the story of my life. i was always judged by my appearance by the girl's parents. and even after they saw that i wasnt anything like what they expected, i was still never good enough. hahaha go figure.

Don't say anything bad about the food, even remotely! Moms hate that. Other than that, just smile a lot and give them compliments on everything.

if the parents are strict, you gotta stay reserve and don't blab out, and if they ask you to tell you more about yourself, say all the awards you got, e.g. i'm on honor roll, I play guitar, i like to sing. Filipino people always like people with a lot of accomplishments and goals.

much easier to solve for a girl than for us boys
just be yourself. My parents accepted every girl my brother and I brought to the kitchen table, even my brother's first. And that means a lot!

I've been having all kinds of anxiety dreams about this :p I guess I'm going to have to find a nice balance between trying to make myself look good and not bragging? lol

My buddy Gus went to his girlfriend's house to meet the family (huge) for the first time last Thanksgiving. He got super drunk bec. he was really nervous. Not the best idea for first impressions.

The grandma announced at the end of dinner "Well, it's past my bed time, I am going to leave the table now."

Gus immediately responded across the table of 20+ people "Sh#! granny you ain't got no job!" Well...everyone pretty much stopped conversation for the remainder of dinner. He said it was literally dead silent for 30 minutes following his poor selection of words. He loves to quote movies (Boys in the Hood?) on this one I think??.:eek:

Last edited:
as a girl, i TOTALLY know where you are coming from.

i have been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years now, & i still get really nervous & shy around his family. the first time i met them, he tricked me into it! i can't explain how scared i was!

but all i gotta say is just be yourself & TRY YOUR BEST to stay more relaxed. sometimes i think his family thinks i'm super quiet or something, but most of the time i'm just so nervous to talk. so yeah, just try to be friendly, maybe think of some questions throughout the visit you could ask to start some conversation? if you are too unsure of something, maybe it is best not to ask. ha, i always freak out that i'm going to offend someone without meaning to!

I totally imagine that scene from the movie "the family stone" where sarah jessica parkers boyfriends mom says she wished all her boys were gay, and sarah jessica parker said 'you really wished your children were gay? who would wish that?' and it was really awkward and quiet.

Of course I woudln't say anything like that but I imagine that kind of awkwardness. lol

I totally imagine that scene from the movie "the family stone" where sarah jessica parkers boyfriends mom says she wished all her boys were gay, and sarah jessica parker said 'you really wished your children were gay? who would wish that?' and it was really awkward and quiet.

Of course I woudln't say anything like that but I imagine that kind of awkwardness. lol

Don't feel like you have to show all of your best attributes and skills in one meeting with the parents. Look it as a long term thing. Be patient. If they don't fully understand you after one meeting....they will over the course of time if it is meant to be. Relax...you will do fine! :D

Tips

whatever you do, don't bring up the following:

1.) working at the "club" to pay for college.
2.) your ex boyfriend who's in the joint.
3.) your ex boyfriend who's 15 years older.
4.) your brother who just got out of the joint.
5.) the two kids.

other than that it's wide open, just don't drink before or during. Afterwards, that's another story.

good luck!

lol thats hilarious PDXuker.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Try to relax and act as normal as possible. If they want to know something about you, tell them some of you accomplishments and goals you plan to accomplish which shows them that your working hard and that you have plans. Like everyone said, compliment the food and the mom will love you. Try connecting with the father a little and conversate with both parents alot and you should do fine.

Compliment the parents as much as you can: the food, how clean their home appears, how young they look for their age, but sound as sincere as you can. No matter what, people like compliments. :D

Observe them and determine what they like. Try to make them talk about themselves like how they met and say something like, "you guys make a good (cute) couple". I think people like to tell their stories, so listen carefully, smile, and compliment. I know it's probably corny, but it really works :D

Top Bottom