Are there any professional performers using primarily the Concert size?

wherahiko

Reaction score
It appears that a majority of well-known performers prefer a tenor ukulele (James, Jake, Iz, Aldrine, Taimane, Honoka & Azita, etc.). A smaller number are well known for their love of the soprano—HH, Janet Klein, Mark "jazzukes" Occhionero, John King.

Are there any prominent performers who primarily play the concert size?

I think Marlowe plays mainly Concert. I think.

I always used to think that John King played a Soprano but there is some doubt in my mind. IIRC then looking at the old videos of him shows what could be either a Soprano or a 12 fret to neck Concert, some videos do have instrument supplier details attached too. Whatever, the Concert was developed by Martin as something a bit louder than the Soprano for Concerts ...... or something like that so was a professional’s instrument.

Edit. He was given a Uke by a very respected builder in thanks for his assistance, etc. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lK6TlyTv95s . I believe that this Soprano (?) is in most of his subsequent YouTube videos. Here’s another on a Soprano, different maker, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeJ5Cj4-KVI

Last edited:
I always used to think that John King played a Soprano but there is some doubt in my mind. IIRC then looking at the old videos of him shows what could be either a Soprano or a 12 fret to neck Concert, some videos do have instrument supplier details attached too. Whatever, the Concert was developed by Martin as something a bit louder than the Soprano for Concerts ...... or something like that so was a professional’s instrument.

Edit. He was given a Uke by a very respected builder in thanks for his assistance, etc. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lK6TlyTv95s . I believe that this Soprano (?) is in most of his subsequent YouTube videos. Here’s another on a Soprano, different maker, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeJ5Cj4-KVI

IIRC he played both sizes - the DaSilva and Glyph sops that you linked to, and an Earnest Instruments Stradelele concert seen here:

the Concert was developed by Martin as something a bit louder than the Soprano for Concerts ...... or something like that so was a professional’s instrument.

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain use some, they're quite prominent in the uke world. ;)

Thanks! Both very helpful—though I'm more looking for splendid examples of concert uke playing rather than affirmation that the concert can be used professionally.

I believe Ukulele Ike (Cliff Edwards, voice of Jimminy Cricket) used to perform with a Martin Concert :)

Keep uke'in',

Joel Eckhaus often plays a concert size

IIRC he played both sizes - the DaSilva and Glyph sops that you linked to, and an Earnest Instruments Stradelele concert .........

Thanks for solving that mystery for me, some while back I spent ages looking at his Videos to understand what size he used. Foolishly it never occurred to me then that he might play more than one.

JC’s playing/videos are a major part of why I took up the Uke, to me they’re just so inspiring and illustrate what can be done with a Uke.

YouTube Herb Ohta, aka Ohta San. I believe he uses mostly concert, but possibly soprano as well. He’s one of the most splendid examples you’ll find.

He mainly plays a Martin soprano strung low G - he's a small guy so it looks like a concert scale, but I don't think it is! And yes - absolutely splendid.

Dan “Soybean” Sawyer plays a Harmony concert. You can hear it on his “Uke of Ages” CD (one of my all-time favorite ukulele albums).
For the record, Ukulele Ike played sopranos in his early days and then switched to a down-tuned Martin tenor later in his career.

Peter Moss plays concert.

YouTube Herb Ohta, aka Ohta San. I believe he uses mostly concert, but possibly soprano as well. He’s one of the most splendid examples you’ll find.
Kamaka makes the Ohta-san model for fingerpicking (designed together) that is a 16" scale with a concert body (long neck concert).

Last edited:
The “Johnny Marvin Tenor” was/is actually a concert sized instrument. I wonder if he actually played it or if it was just what he put his name on. He’s obviously not a contemporary performer but he was prominent in his day.

1665916168944.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom