An Under Appreciated low G string

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Most of us low G fans prefer a wound string. The string of choice being a Fremont Soloist and for good reason. They sound great, last a long time compared to most other wounds and are relatively squeak less.

There is another string that I like as much or more, the Oasis Smooth Wound Warm .033" string. I had two tenors with Fremont low G that were not giving me as much deep resonant bass as I wanted. I switched out the Fremont to the above Oasis Warm and bingo, whole new ukulele.

One of the instruments was my Koolau Spruce Myrtle tenor. Brenda had played it in the past and liked it. She played it a few days ago (not aware of the one string change) and she really, really liked it. Said it sounded rich and full. The other uke is a Webber tenor spruce and cocobolo that always sounded on the bright side, now it is richer and warmer sounding.

My Farallon has the Oasis warm and I have it paired with a D'Addario NYL028W, Classical nylon silverwound on the C string spot. The D'Addario is another sleeper if you like a wound third, either for reenetrant or to pair with a wound fourth low G, my favorite set up.

20171117_075205.jpg20171117_075335.jpg

Last edited:
I just recently put an Oasis bright low G set on one of my concerts. This is my first venture into a low G and I'm still trying to decide if I like it. My experience was like yours, the strings made it a whole new ukulele. (Though I have no basis to compare with other low Gs, it's just a whole new sound compared to a high G.) The sound is rich and full, almost surprisingly so. Since this is my first low G and wound string, the squeaking is pretty noticeable to me since it's been absent in all preceding (unwound) string sets. I thought there was only going to be a squeak when I moved my finger along the length of the string but I also hear it when I am strumming the string(s). When I'm using my nail rather than the pad of my finger, I also hear a bit of a click. It's kind of distracting to me and I'm wondering if it's worth it for the exchange of a richer, fuller sound that works with most songs I play, but not all. The jury is still out!

Thanks for the tip. I've recently ventured into low G on tenor, and am really liking it. I used a .030 wound string from a classical guitar set, sounds great. Sounded even better when I tuned down. B flat tuning was ok, but seemed a bit too low for this uke (Ohana TK-35G) and my voice, but B tuning is just perfect for me. I'd recommend trying the lower tuning, if you haven't already.

We're in total agreement on wound low G and wound 3rd for great resonance and sustain on our tenor (and barii) scale ukes. What's your source for the Oasis .033? My biggest issue on my Boat Paddle (and others) is very poor sustain on the 2nd (E) string. I keep trying E's from several brands but it seems like there all about the same. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue? Not trying to high-jack your thread, but I have always appreciated your string experience and advise.Thanks.

We're in total agreement on wound low G and wound 3rd for great resonance and sustain on our tenor (and barii) scale ukes. What's your source for the Oasis .033? My biggest issue on my Boat Paddle (and others) is very poor sustain on the 2nd (E) string. I keep trying E's from several brands but it seems like there all about the same. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue? Not trying to high-jack your thread, but I have always appreciated your string experience and advise.Thanks.

I buy most of my strings from "strings by mail", that's where I got the Oasis warm smooth wounds.

Yes the E string on tenors can be problematic in some sets on some ukes. I have had good luck with Worth CT and the new Ko'olau Aho low G set have been great in the 2nd spot on three ukes so far.

Check out Strings by Mail for Savarez and Pyramid florocarbon singles in the .026" and .027" diameter sizes.

Thanks for the tip. I've recently ventured into low G on tenor, and am really liking it. I used a .030 wound string from a classical guitar set, sounds great. Sounded even better when I tuned down. B flat tuning was ok, but seemed a bit too low for this uke (Ohana TK-35G) and my voice, but B tuning is just perfect for me. I'd recommend trying the lower tuning, if you haven't already.

Yea the .030" wound string seems to be the standard size for low G. Fremont are that size as well as Oasis silver wound in their low G set. The Oasis smooth wound "bright" are .030" as well. I got the bigger warmer sound that I was looking for on those two instruments from the "warm .033".

Thanks for the information. I've been using Fremont Low G for a while (I find most nonwound low G strings to be either boomy of lifeless, although Living Water low G is neither), but I have one tenor ukulele strung with an Oasis low G wound and I like the way it sounds. I haven't tried D'Addario wound C strings.

Another option is using Thomastik-Infeld wound low G and low C strings with Oasis E and A strings. My Moore Bettah is strung like that (Chuck Moore has been using uses this "Franken-set" recently), and I like the blend of wound C with a wound G. The UKulele Site carries both of these Tomastik-Infeld strings. https://www.theukulelesite.com/accessories/strings/thomastik-infeld.html

Kudos to you Dave for sharing this info. :)

As you know, I like to keep up with different options for strings.

I'm going to try the Oasis low-G's and add them to my next order. :music:

Most of us low G fans prefer a wound string. The string of choice being a Fremont Soloist and for good reason. They sound great, last a long time compared to most other wounds and are relatively squeak less.

There is another string that I like as much or more, the Oasis Smooth Wound Warm .033" string. I had two tenors with Fremont low G that were not giving me as much deep resonant bass as I wanted. I switched out the Fremont to the above Oasis Warm and bingo, whole new ukulele.

One of the instruments was my Koolau Spruce Myrtle tenor. Brenda had played it in the past and liked it. She played it a few days ago (not aware of the one string change) and she really, really liked it. Said it sounded rich and full. The other uke is a Webber tenor spruce and cocobolo that always sounded on the bright side, now it is richer and warmer sounding.

My Farallon has the Oasis warm and I have it paired with a D'Addario NYL028W, Classical nylon silverwound on the C string spot. The D'Addario is another sleeper if you like a wound third, either for reenetrant or to pair with a wound fourth low G, my favorite set up.

View attachment 104480View attachment 104481

Thank you for sharing your expertise but who is Brenda?

In addition to trying some of Dave’s suggestions (I say this so as not to completely go off-topic here), I will consider naming my next uke “Brenda”.

Thank you for sharing your expertise but who is Brenda?

Brenda is a person that is even more uke crazy than me........hard to believe but true.

Yes Campbell this "so called Brenda person???" is becoming famous.

Kathryn maybe you girls should name your Frying Pan ukes after each other. Little Brenda and Little Kathryn:p

Booli please do give the Oasis warm a try. The fatter diameter definitely gives a fatter tone. I would love to hear your opinion on it

Leave our frying pans alone :mad:

Back on topic. I will give blackbird a try with your recommendation on using guitar strings

Hey Steve I have tried the Thomastiks. There are many people that swear by them including Chuck Moore of course. My main reason for pointing out the Oasis smooth wound warm .033" was to illustrate how they gave a deeper bass tone than the Fremont. The Thomastik do the opposite, they are less boomy and very even sounding. I know that is what Chuck really likes about them. If one needs more bass the Oasis warms, less bass the Thomastiks. The Fremonts are kinda like Goldilocks, right in the middle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom