WTB: 'Value-priced' but fine-playing baritone

Status
Not open for further replies.

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Reaction score
Folks, I'm ready to expand my universe and head to Bari Town (Steely Dan ref).

Looking for a very playable all-laminate or solid-top/laminate back & sides uke. Premium on solid intonation, sound, fretboard, tuners. Everything should work perfectly. No all-solids, please (so I don't have to humidify).

Bling unimportant.

Thought I'd check the Marketplace before considering a new one. (FTR, I would be in the market for a Kala/Ohana/Cordoba or equivalent).

Let me know if you'd like to rehome an underplayed friend. CONUS only.

Thanks!

Hi Rick, I got a laminated Lanikai from Butler Music on Ebay some years ago for 65 bucks. Can't beat that and she plays very well indeed. You've seen her on the Seasons, I'm sure. She's the one with the turtle around the soundhole that my daughter made for me.

Hi Rick, I got a laminated Lanikai from Butler Music on Ebay some years ago for 65 bucks. Can't beat that and she plays very well indeed. You've seen her on the Seasons, I'm sure. She's the one with the turtle around the soundhole that my daughter made for me.

Ooh, that looks really nice, Janet. I've bought from Butler before. Probably should check them out again!

I have an unplayed Kala KA-B glossy, luthier-converted to 6 string. Simply remove the extra strings for 4-string mode. It went to a local +++luthier for setup. Paid 279- on eBay; sell for 99-, as I need the space. Have bought and sold on this forum and eBay, excellent reputation. LMK if you want pics. The sun finally came out so I can shoot today!

I got a Makala MK-B from Austin Bazaar for $83 shipped.

Fret edges were smooth, intonation is nearly perfect and not a finish flaw to be found.

It even includes a truss rod!

The sound is very nice and IMHO this one hits higher than it's price point and provenance would suggest.

I dont play bari often, but when I do, this one suits just fine.

Currently I have it strung in re-entrant fifths tuning GDAE, as in G3-D3-A3-E4 and it is a pleasure to play.

Main differences between the MK-B and the Kala KA-B ($139) as far as I cant tell is that the KA-B has a white binding and closed gear tuners, whereas on the MK-B they are open-back tuners and no binding.

The tuners work fine, but I wish they had black buttons instead of white, but that is my only and minor gripe and easy enough to fix for ~$15 with a set of Grover 9NB tuners that are available everywhere online (Elderly, Amazon, Sweetwater, etc).

Booli,

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm mostly a fan of my Makala concert, but the tuners do need to be swapped out. Other than that, it's really resonant and plays well. I agree it punches above its weight, if you will.

I looked at the same baritone you have today at a big box store for ... $84! Decided to pass because I want something a little different. I'm weird that way.

Rick

Just found a Lanakai on eBay for under $100. Thanks, UUers for your help and interest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom