recording software

mattivie1

Reaction score
My band is looking to record some of our songs and i was wondering if any one has good software that they use? Nothing to complex or to expensive, thanks.

Second Audacity.

Garageband if you have a Mac.

JJ

I recently downloaded a copy of Mixcraft 4 after reading about it in that ukulele magazine. It's a decent program. They give you a 2 week trial period and if you like it, it's only $60 bucks. Give it a look.

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/

We use Sonar 8 in the studio that I run with my buddy, but on my personal laptop, I use Adobe Audition. The Adobe one is easier on the pocket though.

(We only use legit software by the way) :)

I fourth Audacity. I used it to record the first and only episode of my failed podcast, and I managed to get very satisfactory levels with minimal tweaking.

By the way, the podcast only failed because I didn't wanna do it.

Last edited:
Second for Sonar. It's not cheap, but it's excellent, and mine is legit too, though it's not upgraded to the latest version......yet.

Another vote for Garageband if you've got a Mac.

On the PC if you don't fancy Audacity, you might want to look at Reaper.

Ubuntu (and the rest of the flavors of...) Linux is free. So is Ubuntu Studio. Great recording software. There's also a video portion of Ubuntu Studio but I've not downloaded it as yet.

Bit of a learning curve on Ubuntu Studio (you've got to know JACK) but worth the effort.

I guess it depends on if you want to record yourselves live or if you are trying to do a demo in a "studio."

The Zoom H4n is great for live recording as is the Zoom H4.
The H4n offers multitrack editing software (Cubeas) which works decently with the recorder.
The recorder itself can give you 2 outboard mics and 2 for stereo in-board recording which can make for a pretty far out recording.

$300 gets you this recorder and you will never regret the purchase.

garage band works very well with an external mic. i use one from the rockband game and plug it right into the usb. im sure audacity has good features too but i've yet to dabble with it.

Top Bottom