PDA

View Full Version : New models from Romero Creations?

Rakelele
11-19-2017, 04:46 AM
I think I spotted some interesting new models on Pepe Romero's Instagram channel:

The four ukes facing upwards are bigger than his XS Soprano but look smaller than his Tiny Tenor and have the neck joining at the 12th fret instead of the 14th - maybe a concert scale version?

The one beneath the logo on the upper left is smaller/thinner than his Grand Tenor and has a longer headstock with tuners facing backwards (possibly Gotoh Planetary Tuners). Looks a lot like a replica of the custom tenors he builds himself.

Does anyone have more information on these? So far, I haven't found anything. Looks like they haven't been introduced to the market yet.

M3Ukulele
11-19-2017, 01:01 PM
Great observation. I would have missed that. I’m curious if someone finds more info. I’d like to play some of these in person. I’m a TT lurker and I’m sure I’ll get one at some point. The Grand would be fun to play

Nickie
11-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Stop lurking and jump on a TT! You'll never regret it. Ours has the nicest tone of all our ukes.

Rakelele
01-20-2018, 09:39 PM
Pepe Romero has now revealed the new models from his Creations line.

A) A concert scale version of the Tiny Tenor with the same body as the latter, basically a large body concert:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd-nGbkHP9Q/?taken-by=pepe_romero_jr

B) A replica of his own custom tenors with Abalone purfling and Gotoh Planetary tuners:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd-s3SnnQAH/?taken-by=pepe_romero_jr

C) Pepe also recently built a Guilele version of the Tiny Tenor that will be released in the Romero Creations line in about a year and a half:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeL0lo9H3UO/?taken-by=pepe_romero_jr

Looking forward to these new models!

SoloRule
01-21-2018, 01:31 AM
The guitar version would be nice if it’s a guitar standard tuning instead of guitarlele
I wish they have more wood choices

Doc_J
01-21-2018, 01:37 AM
Pepe Romero has now revealed the new models from his Creations line.

A) A concert scale version of the Tiny Tenor with the same body as the latter, basically a large body concert:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd-nGbkHP9Q/?taken-by=pepe_romero_jr

B) A replica of his own custom tenors with Abalone purfling and Gotoh Planetary tuners:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd-s3SnnQAH/?taken-by=pepe_romero_jr

C) Pepe also recently built a Guilele version of the Tiny Tenor that will be released in the Romero Creations line in about a year and a half:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeL0lo9H3UO/?taken-by=pepe_romero_jr

Looking forward to these new models!

Thanks for info Rainer. I wonder how close his replica models will be to a real Pepe Romero tenor. The picture looks right on the mark. Hope the sound is also.

bsfloyd
01-21-2018, 02:12 AM
These all look great. Concert scale - yes! Guilele - yes!

Rakelele
01-21-2018, 06:28 AM
I wonder how close his replica models will be to a real Pepe Romero tenor. The picture looks right on the mark. Hope the sound is also.

My thoughts exactly. I imagine that it is relatively easy to copy the looks, but to replicate the sound is probably a different story. I hope there will be some reviews from knowledgeable folks soon...

EDW
01-21-2018, 07:27 AM
Looking forward to hearing clips of the concert uke

M3Ukulele
01-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Awesome what Pepe is doing. Curious to hear all the new stuff. Just ordered a TT solid top. For travel curious what concert sounds like. I bet Big sound with the tenor body I like what RC is doing.

Nickie
01-21-2018, 10:30 AM
Oh gawd, I'd love to have a Tiny Concert. The Tiny Tenor is wonderful, but the fretboard is too long of a reach for me...

TobyDog
01-21-2018, 10:41 AM
I want a Tiny Concert, too. (and a Tiny House to put it in;) )

OhioBelle
01-21-2018, 10:50 AM
Ditto Ditto Ditto! I agree with Nickie and T-Dog!

I can reach campanella on a concert scale much easier than tenor. Can't wait to hear what these sound like!

Doc_J
01-27-2018, 09:37 PM
Romero Creations has updated the website to include the new models for 2018.

http://romerocreations.com/st-concert/
http://romerocreations.com/the-replica/

Rakelele
01-27-2018, 10:02 PM
Anyone seen a price tag yet?

RafterGirl
01-28-2018, 02:29 AM
ST Concert. Wow.....if it wasn't for the "all solid wood" part this would be my ideal camping uke. Maybe there will be a solid top/laminate body version like the spruce top XS model? I'd love to see a price and where to buy one.

Ukulele Eddie
01-28-2018, 02:58 AM
Anyone seen a price tag yet?

The Replica all-hog (no Mother of Pearl, so suitable for shipment internationally) will retail for about about $900 and the other two (which have MOP) are $1,000, according to Pepe, Jr. when I asked him.

Xtradust
01-28-2018, 04:23 AM
I stopped at their booth at namm. They had a lot of different models with a lot of different wood choices. Those ukuleles are sooo nice! I’m getting the ST Concert for sure. Maybe an XS soprano too. They had a some spruce/koa sopranos being closed out that were beautiful. They have really got the manufacturing down, because all of the ukuleles feel great and play nice.

I think the Tiny Tenor is the new Vita-Uke. :)

Rakelele
02-09-2018, 08:13 PM
The Romero ST Concert model is now available at HMS/The Ukulele Site. They have also posted a demo video by Daniel Ho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwgsLIIOZ8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwgsLIIOZ8Y

EDW
02-10-2018, 12:49 AM
Looks as if they have one in mahogany as well

bratsche
02-10-2018, 07:24 AM
Waiting for a Tiny Baritone.... but sure it's very low priority. However, I hope they consider it! :)

bratsche

Osprey
02-10-2018, 08:34 AM
Waiting for a Tiny Baritone.... but sure it's very low priority. However, I hope they consider it! :)

bratsche

Now that would have my interest as well.

DownUpDave
02-10-2018, 08:58 AM

bratsche

"Tiny Baritone" as much an oxymoron as "Jumbo Soprano" :p

But they did use the Tiny Tenor body for their newTiny Tenor Guilele so anything is possible.

M3Ukulele
02-10-2018, 09:09 AM
RC is doing some great things. Recently picked TT solid top tenor and I love it. Good job Romero Creations. I really like what you are doing.

bratsche
02-10-2018, 11:35 AM
"Tiny Baritone" as much an oxymoron as "Jumbo Soprano" :p

To clarify (if necessary), I just meant a scaled-up TT - i.e., a baritone scale uke the length of a tenor.

Not that I'd buy one, but I'd wait for someone here to take the plunge, then say "no, thanks" and sell it to me at a discount in the marketplace. ;)

Romeros are nice, but out of my league price wise, and I only buy instruments (as well as many other things) pre-owned, just on general principle.

bratsche

bsfloyd
02-10-2018, 12:34 PM
To clarify (if necessary), I just meant a scaled-up TT - i.e., a baritone scale uke the length of a tenor.

Not that I'd buy one, but I'd wait for someone here to take the plunge, then say "no, thanks" and sell it to me at a discount in the marketplace. ;)

Romeros are nice, but out of my league price wise, and I only buy instruments (as well as many other things) pre-owned, just on general principle.

bratsche

If they made it, I would probably buy it, bratsche. Of course only if they offered it in the overseas version (my wallet would not allow the premium version). Thing is, I probably wouldn't be selling it though :)

Rakelele
02-10-2018, 10:56 PM
Uke Republic now has one of the Replica models available (Spruce/Mahogany). Here's a demo from Mike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9mmqTNai0E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9mmqTNai0E

Ukulele Eddie
02-13-2018, 05:17 AM
Ukulele Site now has all four listed.

Capsfan89
02-13-2018, 12:47 PM
The price point of the replica makes it a solid contender when looking at intermediately priced ukes. Can wait to hear more samples and reviews on them.

RafterGirl
02-14-2018, 05:36 AM
For those of you that own the TT or the XS soprano, what hard case do you use? Seems like it would be harder to find a hard case for these ukes.

cyber3d
02-14-2018, 07:08 AM
For those of you that own the TT or the XS soprano, what hard case do you use? Seems like it would be harder to find a hard case for these ukes.

The RC case that came with mine is very sturdy. Canvas covered over plastic molded case and zippered. I use it the most. I also have a Crossrock blow molded ABS hard case (Tenor sized) with a padded block at the bottom to compensate for the shorter body of the TT. But, Use the RC case most of the time. The RC case is thicker but shorter by a small amount.

wildfire070
02-14-2018, 08:53 AM
I managed to find a Stagg pineapple soprano case and the XS Soprano fits in that perfectly.

RafterGirl
02-14-2018, 10:03 AM
The RC case that came with mine is very sturdy. Canvas covered over plastic molded case and zippered. I use it the most. I also have a Crossrock blow molded ABS hard case (Tenor sized) with a padded block at the bottom to compensate for the shorter body of the TT. But, Use the RC case most of the time. The RC case is thicker but shorter by a small amount.
Is it sufficient for long term storage with a humidifier? I live in a dry climate, with AC in the summer and forced air heat in the winter. All of my ukes live in hard cases with 2 humidifiers per case in the winter & 1 in the summer.

cyber3d
02-15-2018, 08:16 PM
Is it sufficient for long term storage with a humidifier? I live in a dry climate, with AC in the summer and forced air heat in the winter. All of my ukes live in hard cases with 2 humidifiers per case in the winter & 1 in the summer.

I would say yes. I use an Oasis inside the sound hole with this case.

RafterGirl
02-16-2018, 06:50 PM
I emailed & got a response from Pepe Romero today. The solid top/laminate body concert ST will be out in the summer. I will be patient and wait for this to come out as a possible camping uke for the future.

M3Ukulele
02-16-2018, 07:32 PM
Raftergirl, I jUst purchases a solid top Tiny Tenor three weeks ago. Very impressed. You will love the RT version. Like most reviews on solid top TT, the spruce top really sings. The intonation on these ukes with compensated saddle is terrific. Tuning machines are really good. I like mine so much, I will probably get all solid wood , second TT. I really like the size, shape etc. I hope to play the new RT sometime for comparison but can’t say enough about TT now that I own one. . Love the portability of the TT yet tenor scale and sound. This is a great design.

RafterGirl
02-19-2018, 04:06 AM
For those of you that own a TT, what are the dimensions of the body? Length & width at the widest point. I believe the body of the new ST concert is the same as the TT. I'm trying to decide if the ST concert would be a good fit size wise to replace my soprano as my camping uke. My camping uke has to be a good fit inside my sea kayak.

bratsche
02-19-2018, 10:16 AM
Wonder about the TT depth, too. It looks in photos on Elderly like the solid top laminate one is deeper than the all-solid ones. Wonder why they'd do that?

bratsche

cyber3d
02-19-2018, 08:12 PM
About 2-3/8 inches in thickness

About 10-1/2 inches tall

About 8-1/4 inches wide

RafterGirl
02-20-2018, 03:06 AM
About 2-3/8 inches in thickness

About 10-1/2 inches tall

About 8-1/4 inches wide
Thanks for those measurements!

M3Ukulele
02-20-2018, 08:23 AM
My TT solid top spruce has body width at heal of 3 1/8" deep. I first ready about this on BAZ's review. His theory was perhaps they designed the deeper body for more resonance using a laminate mahogany back and sides. I would suspect this is the case. My TT , solid top is a cannon. The spruce top and laminate really works well together. I love mine. So, much so, that I' considering a solid Koa version just to try something different. I'm sure RC would let you know body depth on the new RT solid top, when they come out.

The TT are some of the nicest ukuleles I've played. I really wasn't sure about the shape but now that I've played one for three weeks......... I love it. Tuner are great, build quality is great. ...... and I wanted to try the string thru bridge.

I believe the body size is the same and watching RC video on another thread the RT does have the same body size as the TT as per Pepe himself.

Good luck! I don't think anyone would be unhappy with the solid top version and the all solid TT look great. I'm sure the new RT's will be the same.

Ukecaster
03-15-2018, 02:36 AM
The concert ST sounds sweet. Wow, alot going on in this song, what a player!

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/romero-creations/romero-creations-mahogany-st-concert.html

Django
03-15-2018, 11:31 AM
I was interested in the Tiny Tenor for business travel, but the fingerboard and bridge are Rosewood, so not a good choice for international travel, (I have seen literature since that says that some Tiny Tenors have Ebony fingerboards and bridges). I did purchase an all Mahogany Replica. The build is first rate. I have only had it for a few days and I want to try some different strings, but I think that it is a fine instrument and a real bargain.

Doc_J
03-15-2018, 10:52 PM
I was interested in the Tiny Tenor for business travel, but the fingerboard and bridge are Rosewood, so not a good choice for international travel, (I have seen literature since that says that some Tiny Tenors have Ebony fingerboards and bridges). I did purchase an all Mahogany Replica. The build is first rate. I have only had it for a few days and I want to try some different strings, but I think that it is a fine instrument and a real bargain.

Congratulations and Thanks for the info on your Romero Replica mahogany tenor. Could you say how it compares to your cedar/mahogany Pono tenor?

Django
03-16-2018, 02:24 AM
Congratulations and Thanks for the info on your Romero Replica mahogany tenor. Could you say how it compares to your cedar/mahogany Pono tenor?

I enjoy them both very much. The Pono has the beveled arm rest and side sound port and has 14 frets to the body compared to the Romero’s 12. The bracing and top material are very different, so The tone varies , but not as much as I would expect. The Romero is more expressive and the Pono is more forgiving. Tone is somewhere between a good classical guitar and a Ukulele for both.

A wise man said that comparison is the thief of joy. They are different, which makes owning them both worth while. It would be hard to choose one over the other, and I haven’t had the Romero long enough to know which I would let go if that was to happen. I did not like the Pono with the original strings, but I love it with Aquila Reds.

Jim Hanks
03-16-2018, 05:02 PM
Pepe also recently built a Guilele version of the Tiny Tenor that will be released in the Romero Creations line in about a year and a half:
Aargh! Why such a long wait?

Rakelele
03-17-2018, 09:02 PM
Thanks for your comparison of the Romero Replica and the Pono MS, Django.

Anyone else got to try one of the new Replica models?

M3Ukulele
03-18-2018, 05:52 AM
Just a side note, my solid top TT has walnut fretboard and bridge. Rosewood is on the way out due to rosewood restrictions. The walnut is dark and looks and feels great. I like it. I did see the spaulted Mango all solid TT had ebony. I suspect you will see changes in future. I’m planning a six month retirement trip so My TT is likely what I will take. It sounds great, is small......... so Perfect forbtravel. I’ll get an all solid TT at some point in future and will see outbmodel with fretboard and bridge in ebony or Walnut or something different! I’d love to play a Replica also. They look great. RC are doing some excellent things with their product line up. The new ST Concert is a great example. Can’t wait to play one and hear and see the different. Talk about a travel Uke. The ST would be great if concert scale is you thing

Rakelele
03-18-2018, 10:23 PM
Looks like the Romero Replica model will be introduced in the more affordable line with a solid Spruce top, but laminate back and sides later this year. To be honest, I might actually prefer the simpler look with the Meander rosette and satin finish. And the sound seems to be huge. Just listen to Jason Arimoto - what a great musician:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tktOWHHgmb4

cyber3d
03-18-2018, 11:52 PM
Last week I got my hands on "The Replica" if only for a few minutes. I'm not good enough to make a solid evaluation. But, I mostly did some arpeggios and really loved the width of the fretboard and the Tenor scale fits me well. The intonation was spot on - of course. The sound was beautiful but I only have my TT solid Mahogany to compare it to. I'm not a big fan of Spruce tops . . . and in MHO the sound was "tight." Obviously, a better player can rock this uke.

RafterGirl
03-20-2018, 07:42 AM
I got super excited yesterday as I browsed the Elderly website and saw the ST concert in spruce top/laminate body listed as in stock. I was about to add that baby to my cart, but decided to check with them first. Its an error and they have yet to fix it. Bummer!

SA Condor
03-20-2018, 09:44 AM
Looks like the Romero Replica model will be introduced in the more affordable line with a solid Spruce top, but laminate back and sides later this year. To be honest, I might actually prefer the simpler look with the Meander rosette and satin finish. And the sound seems to be huge. Just listen to Jason Arimoto - what a great musician:

Beautiful instrument and great songs, I’ll be on the lookout for the EP. I’m getting more and more excited to get my hands on my XS Soprano. I’ve got the solid top budget model, but I’m excited non the less!