Building a Vintage Banjo Taropatch to add to the family

scottyairborne

Reaction score
Hello All, My wife has been enjoying her first Ukulele... a handmade tenor from a luthier outside Cape Town, SA. It is a beautiful kiaat and walnut solid wood tenor, which she is enjoying. My 11 year old daughter can't let Mom play alone, so she has been putting down the violin and grabbing a use as well but her's is a cheap pink laminate.

The solution was to get the daughter a mandolin for Christmas, two Japanese made mandolins later, shopping for her is complete. However, I stumbled upon this 1920/30 Regal Banjo Mandolin which I grabbed for the wife. I have ordered strings from Ken at Living Water to make a gG cC EE AA (I also got a spare set in case I regret the octave tuning on G and C). As soon as the strings arrive, I will begin the conversion to taro patch.

Attachments

• taropatch.jpg
    taropatch.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 15
  • taropatch2.jpg
    taropatch2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 8
I will string it as is, and then may make some homemade soft wood bridges to get the desired drive on the head. Right now the volume with old steel strings is quite intense, so I am not worried about losing a bit of sound with the fluorocarbons. Really hoping to get a nice full sound with the taro patch configuration. I just landed a Gibson UB2 as well, so now we have plenty of options for playing. I am excited to see what becomes the preferred instrument, I may pickup the taro patch with a few chords to strum along.

Top Bottom