fascinating watch, luthiers for a cause vid

spookelele

Reaction score

Excellent job splicing the cuts and matching levels. I was really surprised how simliar the tones were. The kinnard was the only one that really stuck out as significantly different.

In the first play, I wasnt watching, just listening, and didn't realize that the instrument changed until the kinnard sample. Kimo's consistency was very tight. Listnening again you can hear differences if you listen carefully, but casually, much less so. It would probably be more apparent if levels werent so matched, and also, its youtube, so you fight their compression, but it's still fascinating.

Theres more difference when corey/kalei plays each individual one, but in the Kimo splice... it's alot more subtle.

Beautiful instruments and a great experiment and cause.

Last edited:
Really cool video indeed!
I agree that Kimo’s playing style tends to make the ukes sound quite similar, but then when Corey and Kalei were playing the tone and bass level were actually really different from one uke to another. More than I anticipated!
Argh, so tempted by this Hive... it’s for the kids after all, no reason to feel guilty quite the contrary :p

I really enjoyed the production value of this video. The insights and backstory presented by the luthiers, along with what Patchen and Eddie had to say, was only surpassed by the beauty of sight and sound exhibited by the ukuleles themselves. Several stood out for various reasons, really making me stop to consider bidding on these fine instruments for such a good cause and historical occasion.

Thank you for posting, spookelele.

Wonderful, a great tribute to the uke world.

Thank you for posting! I've really looked forward to this video and Andrew outdid himself.
It was all just "amazing" - the instruments, the luthiers and their craftsmanship, the cause, the back stories, the playing.....So much so that I had to stream it to a big screen and watch several times.
Kudos and gratitude to all!!! There is much to learn from their efforts.

I really enjoyed the production value of this video. The insights and backstory presented by the luthiers, along with what Patchen and Eddie had to say, was only surpassed by the beauty of sight and sound exhibited by the ukuleles themselves. Several stood out for various reasons, really making me stop to consider bidding on these fine instruments for such a good cause and historical occasion.

Thank you for posting, spookelele.

You said it all perfectly. It is not often I will take the time to watch a 40 minute YouTube video but I was transfixed. Well worth twice that amount of time. It just makes me very proud to be part of this ukulele community.

This is fabulous! I wish I could afford one of these. We will be working with the UKC soon, I'm now a member. I'm posting it on the FB page for TBUS!

It's great that this video was made to document this inspiring project. What a gift to hear each of the Ukes being played by such talented artists.

I would love to hear the epilogue to this project.

You said it all perfectly. It is not often I will take the time to watch a 40 minute YouTube video but I was transfixed. Well worth twice that amount of time. It just makes me very proud to be part of this ukulele community.

Thank you, Dave. I was surprised I actually watched it all the way through. Then I went back for more comparison listening. I actually enjoyed some makers more when Kimo was playing, and others while Corey and Kalei played. Maybe the argument can now be said that wood, maker, and PLAYER influence the sound more than anything else.

Beautiful project, ukes, video and makers especially. I'm interested in the charity that LFC is donating to. Is that the UKC mentioned? Can someone send in some contact info or web site or something like that please? There are lots of kids in hospitals everywhere. Maybe we could do something similar in our area of western Colorado.

Beautiful project, ukes, video and makers especially. I'm interested in the charity that LFC is donating to. Is that the UKC mentioned? Can someone send in some contact info or web site or something like that please? There are lots of kids in hospitals everywhere. Maybe we could do something similar in our area of western Colorado.

You can learn more at luthiersforacause.org (which has a tab on UKC) or theUKC.org. We have about 200 pediatric hospitals with board-certified music therapists in the program and have gifted 4,100 ukuleles. Our goal is to gift 10,000 ukes by year-end 2019.

I played all these ukuleles, every one sounded and looked amazing, even though the same wood was used in every ukulele build.
Each one had it's own builders tone, looks and feel. Whoever gets these ukes will be very happy

Crafted by legendary builders from the wood of legendary trees. I sure wish I was legendary enough to have the gold for one of these...

Lucky Strike Ukulele of The Tree
- Charisma +2
- Perform +4
- Bardic Music +2
- Fascinated creatures are Charmed

Great video ! Thanks Andrew.

I'm very proud to be a part of this cause and group of luthiers.

Top Bottom