Side sound port - what a difference!

whistleman123

Reaction score
I've been thrashing around for awhile now trying to find the right sub $250 step-up uke to buy. Just can't find what I want.

During this time I've been experimenting with working on my starter uke - an Aresi Ovation style soprano. Laminate top, composit back. I figured what the heck. I wouldn't cry if I screwed up a $60 uke. So far I've learned how to set up a uke. Installed strap studs, and replaced the cheap and defective open geared tuners with good friction tuners. Fun stuff, learning a lot, and acquiring some tools along the way.

I've often wonder if side sound ports are worth while or gimmicks. So yesterday I screwed up my courage, chucked up a step drill, and drilled a 1 1/8" side port.

I was surprised at how much of a difference it made. It really opened up the sound and increased the volume.

So, another feature to add to my wish list!

That was immensely brave of you. I’m very happy it worked out. I love side sound ports. Al my instruments have them.

Steve Grimes and Jay Lichty talked about this. They did some “tests” on ukes with side ports and covered them with their hand. Steve’s perspective is a side port robs Peter to pay Paul. That is, while it sounds better for the player it often loses something for the listener audience. Not always true but on some of the ukes we tried it definitely impacted what the listener hears.

I've been thrashing around for awhile now trying to find the right sub $250 step-up uke to buy. Just can't find what I want.

During this time I've been experimenting with working on my starter uke - an Aresi Ovation style soprano. Laminate top, composit back. I figured what the heck. I wouldn't cry if I screwed up a $60 uke. So far I've learned how to set up a uke. Installed strap studs, and replaced the cheap and defective open geared tuners with good friction tuners. Fun stuff, learning a lot, and acquiring some tools along the way.

I've often wonder if side sound ports are worth while or gimmicks. So yesterday I screwed up my courage, chucked up a step drill, and drilled a 1 1/8" side port.

I was surprised at how much of a difference it made. It really opened up the sound and increased the volume.

So, another feature to add to my wish list!

I've been learning too. In addition to setting up, I thinned the neck on my Enya HPL soprano. It turned out great. Now I want to put a side port in. The steps bit was $20 and I really don't want to put more money on this. I bought a set of hole saw bits for $10. Do you have any advice to share? Did it go all right for you? And how do you like that uke? I really like the Mahilele version.

I've been learning too. In addition to setting up, I thinned the neck on my Enya HPL soprano. It turned out great. Now I want to put a side port in. The steps bit was $20 and I really don't want to put more money on this. I bought a set of hole saw bits for $10. Do you have any advice to share? Did it go all right for you? And how do you like that uke? I really like the Mahilele version.

I recently cut a sound port into the side of an Enya EUT-X1 uke, using a 1.5" hole saw right on the shoulder of the upper bout. The result was pretty disappointing, in that it was a clean cut, but somehow does NOT look round. If I had it to do over again I would trace an oval and just cut it out freehand with a Dremel tool.

I think that the "loss" of sound the audience hears is directly related to the size of the side port. My port is small, so the uke projects very well out in front.

I love side port. While it may dampen the front projection, I often only play for myself and my dogs. The dogs really don't care about sound quality all that much. My wife actually prefers the sound projection to be low ;)

I recently cut a sound port into the side of an Enya EUT-X1 uke, using a 1.5" hole saw right on the shoulder of the upper bout. The result was pretty disappointing, in that it was a clean cut, but somehow does NOT look round. If I had it to do over again I would trace an oval and just cut it out freehand with a Dremel tool.

Thanks, I have a Dremel, and was thinking about the effect of the roundness of the shoulder.. I'll give it a think.

Top Bottom