Quincy Travel Uke - new to market.

Graham Greenbag

Reaction score
I spotted a new to market travel acoustic Uke today on eBay UK. A small batch are available now and, as I read the sale details, more will be available next Spring. They do an electric version too. I don’t know if they sell outside of the U.K. but can’t see why they wouldn’t - just different postage and there’s no rosewood (so no cities issues?) on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quincy-T...685241?hash=item284758ab79:g:i1YAAOSw3WxaF0qW

To my mind there’s a good number of people who will want one of these; I’m certainly tempted but will think about it next year rather than now. There’s a demo talk and play on YouTube, comes straight up on Google, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cesQb2hVDCw . To my ears it sounds fine and looks like it does what a travel Uke should, provided you aren’t wanting a loud instrument - good for a hotel bedroom, etc. The video announces that it’s 63cm in overall length (roughly 24”), I guess that that could give you a feel for the scale length too - if I’m correct them it’s about 16”.

I wonder what other members think of this Uke.

Last edited:
Interesting, will make a great starter uke, as long as the price doesn't jump up between now & the shipment arrival.
Concert scale? (About 16 frets)

(Noticed that the fret markings didn't look right in their pictures of the first fret, hopefully this gets sorted out.)

Interesting, will make a great starter uke, as long as the price doesn't jump up between now & the shipment arrival.
Concert scale? (About 16 frets)

(Noticed that the fret markings didn't look right in their pictures of the first fret, hopefully this gets sorted out.)

The price might jump but if so then I think that that would stall sales.

Is suspect that the scale length is in between Concert and Tenor.

The note markings on the fret board are interesting but in their present form they aren’t an attraction to me, to me the fretboard looks cluttered. Just showing the simple whole pitches (no sharps or flats there) currently at the zero, fifth, seventh and twelfth frets might be a nice compromise - not sure about consistent positioning though. I would prefer some conventional markings and side dots - cheaper to manufacture and (IMHO) more use to the average Player - rather than all of the pitch names.

Last edited:
Both the acoustic and electric versions look quite interesting, and I hope they succeed. But for the acoustic concert they should dump the note markings on the fretboard. They're just a distraction, and are pretty ugly too boot. Besides, shouldn't they be oriented so that the note letters are readable from above? (Even though that would make them upside-down for the audience?) And it would be nice if they did something else for the tuners to shorten the overall length. The travel electric tenor is almost 27" long, longer even than my Farallon. As Barry is fond of saying, it's the length that will get you traveling via plane, not the body size.

It might be good for students, but with a cost of 79 pounds, and a shipping cost of 60 pounds, my gut says it is too much money for what you get.

And I agree with Graham, I really wouldn't want the note names heat-stamped on the fingerboard.

-Kurt​

I had noticed that uke this morning on Reverb. It's listed in several sizes, acoustic and electric versions. Interesting...

View attachment 104660

At $206 plus $83 shipping I think I'd just get a Risa stick instead. But I still hope these catch on, especially the acoustic version (@ $109 plus $83 shipping). Somebody please buy one of each and let us know what they think!

Top Bottom