Have you tried a Musick Tent Instrument Humidor?

I could be completely wrong, but I’d be surprised if the seams on that garment bag hold much in. For example, soft cases don’t work.

I could be completely wrong, but I’d be surprised if the seams on that garment bag hold much in. For example, soft cases don’t work.

yup

sure looks like a regular old garment bag
not sure if it would not work

rather keep uke in hard case

yours truly
mac

A hard case isn't airtight either, guys... a vinyl bag seems like it should work. It comes with a hygrometer so that will put to rest any doubts one using this system might have.

As an additional benefit over a soundhole humidifier, there seems less risk of a water spill into your instrument with this system. Also with some creative hanging it looks like you might be able to fit four or more ukuleles in there.

I haven't tried it but I am now intrigued.

From last year's hydration posts, I got the idea to use a flat plastic tote and a sponge inside a baggie. I already had everything I needed to hold two ukes in the house, and ordered a hygrometer for less than $10. Since then someone gave me a nicer water-holding doohickey. It all stores under the bed. I think I might be able to get three ukes in it, but I only have two that need it.

A hard case isn't airtight either, guys...

No, it’s not. But they have been shown to reliably retain sufficient moisture to be effective. Maybe if somebody gets one of these they can do some testing. See last year’s posts on calibrating hygrometers.

I saw those on my local Craigslist too and was also skeptical.

I had thought about getting some of those long-term clothing-storage ziplock bags where you are supposed to vacuum out the air, since they seem to be air-tight, but they do not come cheap, and I'd need different sizes to handle my collection, but some of these are made to hang on a hanger in the closet, and also to defend clothing against moths, so if those are also air-tight, then maybe that is an option as well...

If I had the cash, I'd take a page from kohanmike's solution, and either build a hermetically-sealed cabinet, or convert a closet into an actual real humidor, with fully automatic climate control, but the prospect of relocating soon has put this off into the next home where I will live.

My ukes are all (but one) plywood, so I don’t humidify them. However, that clothes bag thing looks like a great idea to me, and it could probably be fixed up if it does leak air.

It seems to me that one of those things would be easy-peasy to put together.

Top Bottom