new player info for something under 500

Reaction score
Whats good, Ukulele Underground? I'm a serious (gigging) guitar player of 12 years looking to pick up a new instrument, and I figured my guitar skills might translate somewhat to the ukulele. I have played a few of the inexpensive Rogues and Lanikais at my local music shop, just to get my feet wet, but i'm looking to purchase something a bit more serious. I have a budget of $500, am only really interested in a tenor (you guessed it, iv'e been watching Jake Shimabukuro, Iz, etc.) and would prefer something of solid wood construction. It doesn't have to have electronics (if I use it live I will just mic it or install a pickup myself). I have researched a few brands, and was thinking maybe the new Kala Acacia Tenor? I really like the throwback style of the slotted headstock, and it looks and sounds awesome from the few short reviews available. I have heard good things about Pono as well, but i could really use an experienced players insight.

Well, For a serious ukulele for about 500. I'd say you "might" get a kanelia 2nd hand on the net. And thats probably one of the higher ends ukulele.
For a couple more dollars ontop of the 500 you can get yourself one of these
sale! K-1 SOUNDMONSTER KANILEA SOLID KOA UKULELE w/cs
although its a concert, its a ripper of a deal

OR I'd look into probably getting a Honu Solid Koa, KPK Solid acacia tenor or one of the KKK's if you can look around.
i dont think the kala acacia brand can go up against these. Then again, its my Own opinion.
One other thing you need to consider is what type of wood are you looking at?? What sound are you wanting to come out of the uke?

PTOCE PONO SOLID MAHOGANY TENOR GLOSS UKULELE w/ PU

theres plenty out there, i guess it's all up to you ; Personal preference
Good luck buddy

Thanks very much for your help. I prefer the warmer tone of the mahogany, koa, and acacia to the brighter tones of softer woods, like spruce and cedar. The link you gave for that pono is my new front runner. I like the grain of the mango as well, but i don't know anything about the tone of that wood.

I've heard the mango's and they're not bad.. I guess the best thing to do now is to go to a music store in your city and check them out. That way you can try them all out and see which ones you like

Check out this thread for shop in the So Cal area. There are also a number of shops in the SD area. Most of them carry Ukes built in the 808. Visit one of them and try the ukes they have on hand. You may find one that's plays comfortable and sounds sweet and it may not be one that members have recommended. Good Luck in your quest.

Last edited:
Just got back from a few shops around Orange County and San Diego. I live in San Clemente and the music stores did't have much, but the O-side and Huntington shops had a good selection. I loved the Kanileas, but they are a bit too expensive. I played the Pono mango, but i didn't really like the grain in person. I did like the tone, playability, and looks of the Pono mahogany and Honu koa, which both fit my budget. Its a toss up.

Right now it's really between the Pono mahogany and the Honu solid koa, but I would love to have one of the K-1 Kanileas. I'm probably going to buy the Pono or Honu, and if after a couple months of learning and developing a better feel for the ukulele i am still jonesing for the K-1, i can always sell it and upgrade.

Certainly hard to beat a Honu bang-for-the-buck in a solid Koa 'ukulele.
I would also recommend a MELE but not sure if any dealers in SoCal.

Its a much tougher decision than i thought it would be. There are so many quality brand names to choose from, which i wasnt expecting at all going into this. I love learning about all the different wood tones, which strings are the best, the pros and cons of the high/low g string, the different size ukes, etc. It feels like im learning guitar all over again.

Its a much tougher decision than i thought it would be. There are so many quality brand names to choose from, which i wasnt expecting at all going into this. I love learning about all the different wood tones, which strings are the best, the pros and cons of the high/low g string, the different size ukes, etc. It feels like im learning guitar all over again.

ha! exactly...i'm experiencing the same thing ;)

Last edited:
Pono mango concert Pineapple in Pasadena

Hey Down,
I have got a Pono Mango Concert Pineapple and I will Be In Pasadena At the end of teh month if you want to try it. I have been considering selling, not there yet, but thinking about it as I also have a Pono Koa Concert -500 Pikake.
I don't mind bringing it as It is my traveler anyway.
Send Me a PM with you contact info.:cheers:

Later
Paul

Top Bottom