Vintage Baritones

maki66

Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had experience with some of the lesser brands of vintage baritones.
We love our Favilla soprano but the Favilla B2 baritones seem to be sought after and the prices reflect this.

The Harmony and Silvertones seem more affordable.
Are Favillas that much better?
It seems like there is a price differential of $150-200.
Thoughts, comments, anecdotes welcome.

Gianinni.......made in Brazil, many from the 50s, 60s and 70s. I have one and it has stayed while other baritones have come and gone. You can find them in the 125-200 dollar range.

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had experience with some of the lesser brands of vintage baritones.
We love our Favilla soprano but the Favilla B2 baritones seem to be sought after and the prices reflect this.

The Harmony and Silvertones seem more affordable.
Are Favillas that much better?
It seems like there is a price differential of $150-200.
Thoughts, comments, anecdotes welcome.

Harmony and Silvertones have a nice sound, a problem is that they can have very high action (designed this way so that they never buzzed). This can addressed by sanding/filing down the saddle, but may require cutting down the bridge height. If possible high action doesn't bother you, then the Harmony and Silvertones baritones are a great value.

I had a Silvertone and Favilla baritones at the same time and thought the Silvertone sounded a hair better when both had Aquila strings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom