Deering Goodtime Concert Bajolele or Goldtone Banjolele DLX

SoCal

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got the bug to get a concert banjolele. I bought another brand that I will return because it was not right. So now I'm considering either a Goodtime Banjolele or Goldtone's Banjolele DLX. I will likely string with a low G.

Does anyone have experience with either of these and/or recommendations between the two? If so, thoughts would be appreciated -- including the best seller to get a decent setup for a banjo uke.

Also, I'm aware there are several custom brands like -- say, a beansprout. I may eventually get something like that, but I'd like to get my feet wet first with something more moderately priced.

Thanks in advance.

I've got the Deering - its a great instrument, and has more nuanced tone than most banjo ukes. It has an 11 inch rim and is very well built in the USA. The Goldtone will likely have a brighter, more punchy tone on an 8 inch rim and is built in Asia - and should be in the same basic range in terms of construction quality. The Goldtone has a brass tone ring, which will also make it loader and brighter sounding vs. the wood rim only on the Deering. I've played a Goldtone with the tone ring but without a resonator, and it could take the paint off the walls.

Thanks, PTOEguy. This was helpful. Incidentally, I also have a Blackbird Clara, which I really enjoy.

So I checked out the Deering today at a shop, and it's very nice and sounds as you've described. They had a baritone Goldtone, which I know is a different beast, but I got a sense of the feel and construction -- and the brighter tone of the smaller 8" head. I've decided to give that a try since I'm looking for a bit of higher end sparkle in the tone (and I like the sound of the resonator).

I'll keep you posted, and thanks again.

Top Bottom