Soundhole sniffing...

MopMan

Concerned Citizen
UU VIP
Reaction score
Maybe this is a slightly strange topic, but I find myself doing this regularly and I find it ever so enjoyable. Every time I take a ukulele out of its case the first thing I do is take a nice full inhale while sniffing the soundhole and appreciate the wonderfully woody aromas inside.

Sometimes I do it in between practice numbers too...

Solid Koa smells the best of the limited ukes I have available for sniffing. It has a sweet and tangy earthy flavor.

Solid Mahogany smells very nice too, a kind of salty piney flavor.

Anybody else share this habit? Which of your soundholes smells nicest? How does it smell to you?

Just say no.

If it is too late, you could check out your local chapter of ukaholics anonymous. We are here to support you in your recovery. Take it one day at a time.

I’ll admit to it...only with my Martin. Someone said there is a Martin smell...and they were right. There is nothing else like it...and I would tell anyone that owns one to actually smell the instrument. My S1 is Mahogany.

This needs to be a sticky. I have thus far refrained from such a delicacy, however I’ve been biding my time for a thread like this to come along during the holiday season. Cognac in one hand, a fine cigar in the other, and a soundhole aromatique. “Pardon me, would you have any...soundhole?”

Last edited:
I’ll admit to it...only with my Martin. Someone said there is a Martin smell...and they were right. There is nothing else like it...and I would tell anyone that owns one to actually smell the instrument. My S1 is Mahogany.
Yes! I love the Martin smell. I've noticed it can be found with various models of their ukes and guitars regardless of the main wood used. Some claim it's the type of wood kerfing used on the inside build or the bracing...but I don't know. I just know it smells good.

Oh Heck! Now we move from playability, looks, sounds, to stench.......

Yes! I love the Martin smell. I've noticed it can be found with various models of their ukes and guitars regardless of the main wood used. Some claim it's the type of wood kerfing used on the inside build or the bracing...but I don't know. I just know it smells good.

Must be the kerfing and or the bracing because the OXK smells great too.

You ain't sniffed nuthin' yet.
Just wait till you get ahold of a Cocobolo Ukulele.
I think my lung capacity has improved since I got it.

I am a full fledged card carrying died in the wool sound hole sniffer. I had a sycamore Mya Moe that smelled very much like pepper. So does Port Orford cedar. Cocobolo and rosewood smell spicy. Cedar is always a lovely aroma. But everytime I open the case on my redwood and walnut I'iwi my toes curl, just an amazingly sweet earthy smell like walking into a cedar closet.

LOL oh this is a good thread!

Come on, everyone Wiffs Their Sound Hole! LOL

I like the Smell of Spruce In the Morning Troops!

Oh and those Cedar Tops smell like a nice Cuban Cigar! LOL

Last edited:
What a strange lot you are - no, I don't sniff the sound hole.....or anywhere else!

I don't have bling either, just nice sounding, plain looking ukes.....

....however, I do like small bodied tenors....... :p

I never thought about sniffing soundholes in the 35 yrs of playing guitar prior to discovering ukulele and seeing folks remark about the Martin wood smell from the soundhole.

Maybe Martin adds some 'wood musk' into the glue they use, and if they use that glue on all instruments, then they all have the 'Martin smell'.

Last edited:
I have always been very "scent" oriented myself. I tend to sniff & smell anything and everything, this included my Ukes. Funny thing is, my grandkids are also, and tend to sniff anything they pick up. I am also a pipe smoker, and smoke aromatic tobaccos. I have always loved the smell of pipe tobaccos (brings me back to my youth smelling Dad's and Grandpa's pipes). I made a small leather pouch that I put a little aromatic pipe tobacco in, and stuffed them into the sound holes of my Ukes. When I play them, it actually releases a faint aromatic tobacco note in the air. Every time my grandkids comes over, they want to open up Grandpa's Uke to smell them.. lol. Some think that's weird, but they always say, "I love the smell of Papa's Ukulele..." It has created memories for them that they will always remember long after I'm gone.

I have always been very "scent" oriented myself. I tend to sniff & smell anything and everything, this included my Ukes. Funny thing is, my grandkids are also, and tend to sniff anything they pick up. I am also a pipe smoker, and smoke aromatic tobaccos. I have always loved the smell of pipe tobaccos (brings me back to my youth smelling Dad's and Grandpa's pipes). I made a small leather pouch that I put a little aromatic pipe tobacco in, and stuffed them into the sound holes of my Ukes. When I play them, it actually releases a faint aromatic tobacco note in the air. Every time my grandkids comes over, they want to open up Grandpa's Uke to smell them.. lol. Some think that's weird, but they always say, "I love the smell of Papa's Ukulele..." It has created memories for them that they will always remember long after I'm gone.

Great story..............Viva la aroma da pipe tobacco

Whooooo! I'm so tempted to try this with snuff!! In fact, yep, decision made, I'm gonna try a small pinch of snuff inside one of my ukes, will have to be a mahogany one else it may stain the maple/spruce wood ones.

Sadly my old harmony has an odd musty smell coming from its hole that will cure many of this fetish. My ULO also has a terrible smell reminiscent of a urine soaked latrine. The latter I believe is a combination of the spray paint, wood types and glue but wow. The ole girl I was thinking of leaving out in the sun one day or trying to befriend someone who does ozone treatments. Otherwise Ive thought of grinding a bit of coffee in a sealed pouch and dropping them in.

My 1920's banjolele mostly metal and chrome smells like my grandmothers button box I wish I still had.

Otherwise I dont smell my ukes.

Top Bottom