Strings - What, Where

mangorockfish

Reaction score
I have a mahogany tenor Mainland and a Koa Big Island tenor that I'm restringing. I have a set of Orca Black Fluoro Carbon strings and a set of Kala Reds. Which strings should I put on which uke? I have no experience with either set. Bought them on a whim. Thanks.

Here is how I go about matching strings to ukes with different woods. As a disclamer I am going to be making generalized statement about tone woods but this is not written in stone.

Magohany is usually on the warm side and koa is usually a bit brighter, not a lot. The Orca black are a warmer string than the Aquila Reds so the question is what do you want to achieve in the tone of each. If you like the warmth from the mahogany put on the Orcas, the Reds will give you some brightness on your koa. Same as Keith said above but with more blah, blah, blah:p. You can always reverse this if you want the mahogany brighter and the koa warmer.

To save a lot of time, just order some Living Water strings for both...:shaka:

Since it's completely personal preference, I'd try both sets on the same uke...then test strings with the other one later.

Top Bottom