What am I missing? About Flea/Fluke

Witters

Reaction score
Sorry, but am I missing something?
I will rephrase that. What am I missing because for the life of me I can’t see it?

I am referring to the difference between an ordinary Flea Uke and a solid $1000 Uke.

Before the arguments start - and it is not my intention to start one anyway, I will explain just what I mean.

I have owned and played (although I am not or ever will be anything more than a fun player - as in non pro or anything like a pro) quite a few really good Uke’s now in the price range I mentioned above. Yet, I have not found any of them with as good an action as a Flea, or sound that much better.

Sound, like everything else is subjective to the person listening. And I am not suggesting for one minute that a Kanelia for example is not as good as a Flea. What I am saying is that to me, it is not that much better purely because I like the sound of a Flea, so much so that I judge everything else by that standard.

Am I wrong, or am I missing something?

Then as I mentioned, the playability of a Flea. I have yet to find anything better in this regard. I have a Kiwaya that equals a Flea in this area, and would be interested to know if there is any other makes out there with the same action.

So in short, I am a huge fan of the Flea. If I were to criticize anything about it, that would be the cost because it is a little too high. Then again, it isn’t if I stick to what I already said, and that it to me it equals Uke’s double the price.

Perhaps you chose/ ended up with the wrong expensive ukuleles and/or did not get them set up well? Or you just like the Flea sound, and there is nothing wrong with that. For you, and other people feel different. That's how it goes. What do you miss? Nothing, you have your Flea.

My more expensive ukulele rewards me with whispering voices if I caress it, singing overtones when I pick single notes, and it starts screaming if I slide a chord down from the 12th fret. That gives me shivers every time I hear it. My Fluke has these aspect in a lesser amount. Still, I like it and it is very capable in itself.

Still not sure what your point is though...

Last edited:
Fleas and flukes are great. Jim Beloff is sure to go down in uke history. They are durable, very playable, come with alot of options and consistantly have great sound and action.
They are clearly different from wooden ukes in appearance and sound. It really can't be said that they are better than a good wooden uke, but hey certainly have their place in the uke world.

Strings make a difference too. I put Aquilas on my Flea and I didn't like the sound as much as Hilo strings.

I'm not a fan of the Flea neck, which is a bit thick and square to my taste. I like a thinner, smoother neck. And out of all my ukes, I like the sound that the Flea produces the least.

But I still like it. It's just not my favorite to play. It's all about your personal preference. If you think it's the best, cool! :shaka:

Frankly, I'd just play what you like and consider yourself lucky to have found an instrument that satisfies you at an entirely reasonable price.

Personally speaking though, I'm not a Flea/Fluke fan in terms of aesthetics for starters. I'm really turned off by all the plastic and the shape. It just doesn't have the same feel and smell of solid wood. Just doesn't feel good in my hands.
I also find the sound a little weak. Just this past Sunday I was sitting next to a woman who was playing a nice bright pink Flea and I have to say next to my Koaloha concert it did sound kind of dull. (Which may have been as much about her string choice as the instrument.)

but as always YMMV. They certainly have their place in world and their admirers and I can't knock them for the niche they fill (and what seems to be near indestructibility), but they also don't appeal to me on most levels.

Hi Ninja,

I think the main point in posting was to pick the brains of everyone here to discover which Uke’s have the playability of a Flea in terms of action. There could even be someone who posts saying, well if you like a Flea, you will certainly like X.

Sound is subjective I know, and as I like the Flea I don’t think anything else can compare because it is different.

But I do like Koa, so other than a Flea, an ideal instrument for me would be a Concert Koa with a nice low easy action. The Flea’s have this, and as I said earlier, the Kiwaya.

i would not get rid of my flea for ANYTHING.. okay.. well i would.. for a Koaloha and then just buy another FLEA! i have dropped my flea a few times.. and guess what.. it takes a licking and keeps on ticking!! to me.. that is the main point of the flea.. last week end i took my flea out to some drinking establishments... you can see the footage in my last video.. and i was not worried about it at all..

a lot of people wanted to look at it.. talk about it.. and i was able to spread the uke love around!! i will anyone play any of my ukes.. i like to share.. but i would not take some of my others out on the street... i let people play the Kolaoha at my house.. and at open mic.. but not in a bar!

so that is my take on the FLEA.. i call it the indestructi-uke!

love it!!

I may be wrong about this, but... The lowness of Fluke/Flea action might be helped by the zero fret they feature and, on the molded fretboarded, the fret "wire" seems quite thin and low.

This is also personal preference, btw, I prefer the action a little higher than on my Fluke.

I see a question, does any other uke have the same playability as a flea in terms of action?

As I understand it action is adjustable on almost every ukulele out there. So yes if it is set up correctly how you like it almost every uke can have the same playablitly as a flea in terms of action. unless it has to do with the zero fret then there are not as many.

I have never played a flea or fluke. They seem pretty ok from what I hear but I have never seen one in a store or really had a desire to but one.

... I like the sound of a Flea, so much so that I judge everything else by that standard.

You answered your question right there! Personally, I don't especially like the sound or appearance of the flea/fluke. The great thing is, there's something for everyone!

Sorry, but why does everyone not have a zero fret?

I know I’m going to look stupid here but after doing a google the explanation seems logical.

Also, concerning playability/action, where again this is subjective to what a players needs are or likes, but surely everyone agrees that some Uke’s come unplayable high.

Play what you like, Like what you play! Everyone has their own tastes and preferences. I play for fun myself but like Lanark I thought the the ones I heard sounded a little flat. I was at the same session as he and sat about as far from the other one that he did. He might be right, it could be string selection as the one I sat next two was a new acquisition, so it might benefit from an investment in strings.

I would even go so far as saying I prefer the sound of solid wood instrument to laminants, but that is just to my ear. Of course my wife tells me I am tone deaf so what does that tell you....

Sorry, but why does everyone not have a zero fret?

For one thing, a zero fret isn't adjustable like a nut is. Also, some people might claim the material of the nut (like bone) can affect the sound -- but I can't tell the difference.

Top Bottom