Low and High G: Which one for Kanilea or KoAloha Tenor?

strat4me

Reaction score
I have two satin model tenors - Kanilea is on its way, KoAloa here. I would like to assign one to High G, one to Low G strings.

Does anyone have the experience to suggest which might be your choice for Low G and which for High G? Does one or the other lend its voicing more naturally to one or the other?

Thank you,

I have two satin model tenors - Kanilea is on its way, KoAloa here. I would like to assign one to High G, one to Low G strings.

Does anyone have the experience to suggest which might be your choice for Low G and which for High G? Does one or the other lend its voicing more naturally to one or the other?

Thank you,

Didn't the KoAloha come with low G?

From experience, Koaloha is louder but the arch back body of Kanile'a gives a deeper tone. So I would personally string the Koaloha with high Gand Kanile'a with low G. Of course it is just my person preference.

Yes, KoAloha normally comes with Low G but mine (new but dinged) came from a shop with High G's (I suspect because so many customers to a small music store expect GCEA).

Lapyang - thank you. I'm leaning that way but wondered what your experiences are out there in UU land.

Anyone disagree with what has been written above? Have another opinion?

Major Thanks!

I would try them both with high & Low G strings, it's almost impossible to say which will work best until you give them a decent trial period. ;)

^^^ This. ;-)

KoAloha might come with straight saddle (see the right figure below). In such case, I would take Koaloha low G. Many ukuleles come with high G compensated saddle (left figure below).

Probably will depend on the strings you intend on using as much as which uke to put them on. :)

My KoAloha (long neck concert) came with (Worth?) brown high G strings, I didn't like them, (just as a I don't like other makes), so I put my favourite fluorocarbons, low G, on it, & now it feels & sounds much better.......to me. ;)

Top Bottom