Looking for a baritone

LarryS

Reaction score
I quite fancy one of these, but I wouldn't have loads to spend on one-might be better to look for second hand. Anyway any good recommendations for one under £100 ?(not sure what that is in dollars)
One I was looking at was by Brunswick. Another was one by Makala, the MK-B. I know theyre tuned DBGE, like the bottom 4 strings of a guitar, and I like the idea of a low string for picking (I find reentrant a bit limiting at times)

Not sure about Brunswick, but the Makala is well liked by the people in the Seasons threads who have one. :)

I would point you towards a Kala or an Ohana, usually a good choice at the lower end, (or maybe a Baton Rouge).

I've got a Brunswick, the "blonde" BU5B, excellent value for money! I bought this one to replace the dark-wood model I owned previously, simply because I preferred the colour. They both played as well as each other.

YMMV :music:

I've got a Brunswick, the "blonde" BU5B, excellent value for money! I bought this one to replace the dark-wood model I owned previously, simply because I preferred the colour. They both played as well as each other.

YMMV :music:

Intonation good?

Looks good to me. I like the Kala bari but thats out of my range. Tho to be honest its all irrelevant because I have no money as yet. I just like the idea of a bari

I got a Lani. Admittedly on a special offer but I've been very happy with it. Full price, they are still excellent value.

I like my Caramel CB-103 they are ~$90 and come with a stress bar now. Amazon or E-Bay.

I'm surprised to be saying this, but if you really want a decent low end baritone ukulele on a budget I would suggest looking at the Rogue. You can get it from Musicians Friend for a grand total of $35, which includes free shipping. The other Rogue bari players I've spoken with have shared my surprise at what a good sound it has, and my other baritone is the Kala ASAC-B solid acacia so I have a decent basis for comparison.

The neck is just like that of a guitar and it has a bigger -- more guitar-like -- body than most baritone ukes, which is probably why it has the sound it does despite being a laminate. That means it won't fit in a regular b-uke case, though it does come with a cheap vinyl bag that fits and can at least keep the rain off it.

As for the cons, I have two: First, I picked up a buzz on the fourth string at the first fret when I switched to wound strings...the neck is not ramrod straight. I'll probably upgrade to fluorocarbons at some point, but the buzz only shows up when I'm playing very loudly. Second, the finish they use stinks! I dont' mean 'bad quality' stinks (though it isn't stellar)... I mean that it literally offends your nose for the first couple of weeks. Still, for 35 bucks and that sound I'd say it's a really good buy. I consider this the best bang for your baritone buck, by far.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/rogue-baritone-ukulele

Hmm I'm holding out for the Brunswick, it has lots of good reviews on YouTube and its a known brand.

Top Bottom