Baritone neck dimensions

Ukemakinmecrazy

Reaction score
I am trying to build my first Baritone from some plans I bought and they suck. No dimensions for the neck showing distance from the nut to the body.

Am I correct in assuming that, since the scale is 2 inches longer than a tenor, the distance from the nut to the body should be exactly 2 inches longer than a tenor?

If not then please help a poor newbie builder out with some dimensions.

I've never built a baritone so I'm not sure I can answer your question, but I would guess that the distance from the nut to body isn't as important as the distance from the nut to the saddle which is the critical measurement and yes that should be 2 inches longer than a tenor at 19 inches plus compensation and I have no idea what compensation would be except that it would be inversely proportional to what it is on a tenor or ~ 3/32 x the extra 2 inches. Do the math. Hopefully a baritone builder will chime in with the correct answer. Hope that helps a little.

I have built a couple of baritones with a 20" scale, which was one of my guitar fretting templates starting at the fourth fret. Baritone bodies will be around 14" long and 10" wide. The bridge will want to sit somewhere on the middle of the lower bout and it is then a matter of which fret sits on the neck/body join, probably the 13th or 14th if you use a 19" scale. Draw the whole thing up in plan form on a big sheet of cardboard so you can see it. The width of the fretboard should stay the same as other ukes at the nut and the 12th fret. I use 1 3/8" (35mm really) at the nut and 1 7/8" (45mm) at the 12th fret. It is useful to make a template of the fretboard with the frets marked which is the full 19" scale length. You can see exactly where the bridge will sit with different numbers of frets to the body join.

Cheers

You can't assume anything about a scale length on a part that you didn't make. Especially a Baritone, as there really isn't any standard. I build them in 20", 21" 21.5" and even did one in 22".

Measure the distance from the nut end of the fret board to the center of the 12th fret, and then double it. That is your scale lenght.

You then need to decide where you are going to join the neck to body. Will it be the 12th or 14th....or something else?

Your saddle is positioned from the nut edge of the finger board, the scale length plus the compensation for that scale length.

Top Bottom